mole question

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Calculate the mass of CO2 formed when 2.3 g of ethanol, C2H5OH reacts with 3.2 g oxygen O2 to form CO2 and H2O

C2H5OH + 3O2 → 2CO2 + 3H2O

I don't understand what should I do next cuz they gave us 2 masses

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean, two masses? Of what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hazel99)
    C2H5OH + 3O2 → 2CO2 + 3H2OI am not sure why they gave u two masses maybe to combine masses 5.5/70= 0.08 (rounded) then times 2 =0.16 moles of CO2??Do u know the answer?
    4.4g

ReputationRep:
    C2H5OH mass no = 24 + 5 + 16 + 1 = 46

3O2 "mass" =3 X 2 x 16 = 96

46g ethanol reacts with 96g oxygen.

These masses are in an approx. ratio of ethanolxygen = 1:2, but the masses given (2.3g ethanol and 3.2g O2) are at a ratio of approx. 2:3. This tells you that there is an excess of ethanol. So the limiting factor is the oxygen amount. You use this to work out mass of CO2.

2CO2 "mass" = 2 X (12 + 32) = 88

96g of O2 would give 88g CO2

So 2.3g would give: 2.3/96 X 88
    = 2.11g

ReputationRep:
    4.6x4--3.87= CO23HCL.9mg

Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qatarownz)
    Calculate the mass of CO2 formed when 2.3 g of ethanol, C2H5OH reacts with 3.2 g oxygen O2 to form CO2 and H2O

C2H5OH + 3O2 → 2CO2 + 3H2O

If we work out the number of mols of each of the reactants first we can see which is in excess:
    Molar mass Ethanol = 46 g mol^-1
    Molar mass 3O2 = 32 g mol^-1 * 3 = 96 g mol^-1 (notice the molar ratio)

Moles of Ethanol = 2.3g / 46 g mol^-1 = 0.05 mol
    Mole of O2 = 3.2g / 96 g mol^-1 = 0.033(...) mol

Ethanol is in excess so we will use the Moles of O2 to calculate the final mass of CO2

Moles of CO2 = (0.033mol / 3) * 2 = 0.022 (notice the molar ratio)

Molar Mass of 2CO2 = 44 g mol^-1 * 2 = 88 g mol^-1 (notice the molar ratio)
    Final Mass of CO2 = 0.022mol * 88g mol^-1 = 1.936g

(Original post by macpatelgh)
    So 2.3g would give: 2.3/96 X 88
    = 2.11g
    The question says 3.2g O2, not 2.3g

ReputationRep:
    Hi Thanks for pointing out my error - maybe I need to visit Specsavers (RE: ad ITV)

Last line should read:
    So 3.2g would give: 3.2/96 X 88= 2.93g

ReputationRep:
    Unceleech's method (different approach from mine) is also correct and his maths seems ok, too; so why do I get a different answer? Would be grateful if you can work out my error, uncleleech, pls. (after I took into account the misreading of mass of oxygen!)

ReputationRep:
    Hi again,

This was bugging me so I spent some time trying to spot the discrepancy between my logic and uncleleech's.

I notice uncleleech has taken into consideration the molar ratios of CO2 twice: firstly by a factor of 2/3 because of 2 moles of CO2 being yielded by 3 moles of O2, and secondly by a factor of 2 once again in the working out of the molecular mass of CO2. The definition of a mole is "the mass of a substance that is equivalent to the mass no expressed in grams".

Therefore, you cannot take effect of the molar ratios twice - I believe uncleleech has introduced an error of a factor of 2/3 by doing the first molar ratio manouvre. This introduced an error in his analysis of a factor of 2/3. His answer divided by my answer = 1.936/2.93 = 0.66 which is near enough to 2/3, considering we have both rounded off our answers.

It would be interesting to see the correct answer in any mark scheme.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Okay I did it stupidly attached is my method:
    Name:  20161016_151417.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  499.5 KB

ReputationRep:
    It is not stupid at all! V easy error to make. Thanks again for you input and pointing out my my exotropia!

ReputationRep:
    Just to anyone looking at this later:

2.93g is the CORRECT answer.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 16, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.