The Student Room Group

Neuroscience applicants 2017

Scroll to see replies

Reply 360
Does it really matter if the course isn't accredited coz I didn't know when firming it

Original post by Demi.star
I'm going to. But the course isn't accredited 😩

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by H_MO
Does it really matter if the course isn't accredited coz I didn't know when firming it

It doesn't really matter but it's better to have it if possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone planning to do some research on neuroscience over summer? I got textbook on neuroscience to read before September so I won't be thrown into the deep end sort of speak lol

It's very interesting so far! The amount of maths has me a bit spooked but it's not totally unmanageable. Just plugging values into formulae
Original post by Owneyone
Anyone planning to do some research on neuroscience over summer? I got textbook on neuroscience to read before September so I won't be thrown into the deep end sort of speak lol

It's very interesting so far! The amount of maths has me a bit spooked but it's not totally unmanageable. Just plugging values into formulae

What's the name of the textbook? Could you send a pic?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've been using iTunes U. They do university level lectures and lessons for Neuroscience, and the plus side is that its combines many global universities such as UCL, Stanford, and NYU, to site a few.
What's the name of the textbook? Could you send a pic?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The textbook is called Neuroscience: exploring the brain. The international fourth edition. I don't have a pic to show currently but if you Google it you will see it. Has like a colourful brain illustration on its cover.
Original post by cemsimon
I've been using iTunes U. They do university level lectures and lessons for Neuroscience, and the plus side is that its combines many global universities such as UCL, Stanford, and NYU, to site a few.

That sounds extremely useful. Can you get it on YouTube by any chance?
That sounds extremely useful. Can you get it on YouTube by any chance?

I bet so, if you look well

I'm planning to read this booklet by the British Neuroscience Association:

https://www.bna.org.uk/publications/

It's called 'Neuroscience - The Science of the Brain' and is recommended for sixth form and 1st year students. It covers the basic principles of neuroscience including things like drug addiction, if you want to read it.

I'm also planning to read 'Thinking Fast and Slow' by Daniel Kahneman before I go on holiday too and start exercising to become toned before university too. Wish me luck!
Original post by Shockwave109

It's called 'Neuroscience - The Science of the Brain' and is recommended for sixth form and 1st year students. It covers the basic principles of neuroscience including things like drug addiction, if you want to read it.

That booklet looks good!

@Owneyone I have one of those little Oxford Press: A Very Short Introduction books on the brain, which is small and fairly readable but goes into a fair bit of depth.
Original post by Shockwave109

I'm also planning to read 'Thinking Fast and Slow' by Daniel Kahneman before I go on holiday too and start exercising to become toned before university too. Wish me luck!

Thank you for linking me to that publication!! I'll definitely give it a read.

Best of luck to you with the research and exercise! I have similar goals myself except I'm focused more on strength.
Original post by AmeliaLost
That booklet looks good!

@Owneyone I have one of those little Oxford Press: A Very Short Introduction books on the brain, which is small and fairly readable but goes into a fair bit of depth.

A short introduction is better than none! I don't think it's totally necessary to do research before you even start the course, but if you have the literature available to you then why not.
What happens if on results day, grades are lower than required??? Like for QMUL or Leicester. Would they still consider accepting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What happens if on results day, grades are lower than required??? Like for QMUL or Leicester. Would they still consider accepting.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It really depends on the university.

My first choice is Sussex and they said if you don't meet the requirements but are close to meeting them, you can call them up and something could be worked out. I imagine this could be the case for most schools.
It really depends on the university.

My first choice is Sussex and they said if you don't meet the requirements but are close to meeting them, you can call them up and something could be worked out. I imagine this could be the case for most schools.

Ahh okay thanks. I'll call up my uni's.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Call them when you have your grades and explain your situation.
I missed my offer for my firm choice (now where I'm heading in September) and I called them explaining my side of the story about the exams and I still got it, even if I lost 5 points on my IB predicted
Call them when you have your grades and explain your situation.
I missed my offer for my firm choice (now where I'm heading in September) and I called them explaining my side of the story about the exams and I still got it, even if I lost 5 points on my IB predicted

May I know which uni that is
May I know which uni that is

The University of Manchester, I got my confirmation letter by UCAS yesterday :smile:
The University of Manchester, I got my confirmation letter by UCAS yesterday :smile:

Ahh
Congrats

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys, i've just finished my first year of neuroscience at KCL, if anyone has any questions feel free to message me :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending