Has anyone used Loopa books?

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Because I might get one, if they aren't bad

ReputationRep:
    Save your money.

He's not a teacher or an examiner and has no affiliation with any exam board. Thus any predictions he makes are just that. Every year, students will take his word for granted, purposefully avoid revising certain areas and ruin their exams when that area actually comes up in the exam...
    As a teacher myself, I've seen my own students ruin their grades because they've chosen to follow the advice of a self-taught student, rather than their teacher. wtf.

The books are written in essay format - there's little explanation around the points, it's question after question.
    He uses research and studies which aren't covered in all textbooks so can be quite confusing if you're already struggling to remember/understand the studies your teacher gives you.
    Lastly, he suggests learning acronyms to help with the remembering part of it all - which is a good technique (It's chunking, you study it in Memory), but why pay for something you can essentially teach yourself?

ReputationRep:
    But I'm having trouble writing essays (16 markers) so won't these help, I know the knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Findlay6)
    Save your money.

He's not a teacher or an examiner and has no affiliation with any exam board. Thus any predictions he makes are just that. Every year, students will take his word for granted, purposefully avoid revising certain areas and ruin their exams when that area actually comes up in the exam...
    As a teacher myself, I've seen my own students ruin their grades because they've chosen to follow the advice of a self-taught student, rather than their teacher. wtf.

The books are written in essay format - there's little explanation around the points, it's question after question.
    He uses research and studies which aren't covered in all textbooks so can be quite confusing if you're already struggling to remember/understand the studies your teacher gives you.
    Lastly, he suggests learning acronyms to help with the remembering part of it all - which is a good technique (It's chunking, you study it in Memory), but why pay for something you can essentially teach yourself?
    Hi Charlotte,

Saj here.

I want to clarify something as I see this so often repeated by teachers; when it comes to my predictions my number one rule has always been to learn everything; there is only so many times I can say this in my posts, videos and resources yet students who are looking for the shortcuts don't do this and then people assume I've simply told people to revise only my predictions and this simply isn't true yet this assumption is perpetuated among teaching circles like ive shared dead-certain exam questions - I'm not the oracle and I simply share my own views on what I would just give extra focus to while learning everything; that has always been the basis of my predictions yet it seems to have been lost in all the hear'say and hatred I get from some teachers.

They are then unfortunately looking for a scapegoat if their students suffer in their grades and when they tell them they relied on my predictions - it makes me an easy target because of decisions their students make - I can't account for their decisions and its easy to try and shift responsibility over to me this way and I think unfair.

Teacher: "what happen?"
    Student: "I relied on the Loopa predictions"
    Teacher: "That b*****d"! He's a menace!"

When I talk to students:

Student: I did poorly and your predictions never came up.
    Me: Did you learn everything like I said?
    Student: No.
    Me: There's the problem.

I have no affiliation with any exam boards but then nor do many teachers I know either and I have never hidden the fact that I'm simply a former student who has done well self-teaching the subject and I've had success helping numerous other students do the same; Loopa wouldnt be where it is now if it didnt actually help students or if I knew the subject well enough to help so many; the numbers speak for themselves - it just wouldn't be possible.

However it clearly isn't for everyone and the ones that use the resources know what they are using them for anyways (mostly improving their essays and sourcing more content).

The resources I create on Loopa are done so with 2 other qualified psychology teachers and we work together to create the revision packs - we even routinely update them for our users adding more content which you can't do with textbooks.

Like any tool it is how you use it - there is no magic fix to do well and its relative to the work the students put in. To clarify I'm not having a pop at you (tone is always hard to read from writing) but I just felt it unfair when teachers make assumptions about the predictions I make while ignoring the fact that I do tell students to learn everything.

(Original post by Hazel99)
    But I'm having trouble writing essays (16 markers) so won't these help, I know the knowledge.
    Hi Hazel - Heres some responses from students who I have worked with and used some of the resources (see their comments for results day on the pinned post) just so you can form your own opinion:
    https://www.facebook.com/aqapsychology

Name:  2016 Student Feedback Pics collage.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  630.6 KB

-Saj

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hazel99)
    Hi, if this is the case then I suggest you get the exam companion book. It's much cheaper than the Loopa books would be and I'm pretty sure it has an example of an essay for all the possible marks combinations (not all the possible questions like Loopa, but you already have the knowledge and would be saving money). I did this and got A's in my exams.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 17, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.