Can someone help with UK Law?

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Hey all,

Ive recently started a construction management degree with UCEM (Who are useless, but its part of my apprenticeship so i didnt have a choice).

Now one of our modules is law for some reason.
    And im really struggling to understand any of it.

But now ive realized 70% of the reading is irrelevant anyway so ive decided to start the assignment.
    Problem is im struggling to understand what i need to do.

I have to explain the importance of case law and UK Statute law as sources of European law.
    That may aswell be in Welsh as ive no idea what any of those are and our reading materials do not explain them either.

Im wondering if someone could point me in the right direction? Please do not answer my question! I just need a little advice to get me started.
    Any sources you know of to do with those would be perfect!

Thanks guys & gals.

ReputationRep:
    Have you talked to the module leader about what resources to use and about the fact that what has been suggested isn't helpful? Maybe they can help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FireFreezer77)
    Hey all,

Ive recently started a construction management degree with UCEM (Who are useless, but its part of my apprenticeship so i didnt have a choice).

But now ive realized 70% of the reading is irrelevant anyway so ive decided to start the assignment.

I have to explain the importance of case law and UK Statute law as sources of European law.
    That may aswell be in Welsh as ive no idea what any of those are and our reading materials do not explain them either.

Im wondering if someone could point me in the right direction? Please do not answer my question! I just need a little advice to get me started.

Thanks guys & gals.
    I can explain it for you. What the is the name of the modules and course description?

ReputationRep:
    Hey all,

Thanks guys & gals.
    No particular source will explain it in a nutshell.
    The law was originally common law. Each case that occurred was built on the law of the prior case and evolved over time as other cases were added. Then they brought in statute, which was mainly for health and safety regulations and driving etc. There were regulations.
    EU law is based on codes similar to statutes, not case law that evolves my over time. However in the EU there do base itjeir codes case law.
    The UK as part of its deal with e EU has to adopt their EU law via directives. Even when and if then UK leaves then EU, most of the EU laws will remain because my they have been integrated into UK law.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    Have you talked to the module leader about what resources to use and about the fact that what has been suggested isn't helpful? Maybe they can help.
    Am awaiting a response still so I came here to ask.
    I need to get the assignment started!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Theplace)
    I can explain it for you. What the is the name of the modules and course description?
    Module is LAW4LST

Description I haven't a clue of I'm afraid

ReputationRep:
    Module is LAW4LST

What is LST?

ReputationRep:
    Module is LAW4LST

Within about five minutes I've been able to find your module. Your "legal studies" core module (if that's it) is described:

AimsThis module provides an introduction to the English legal system and covers the law of contract and the law of tort.This module aims to:➜ demonstrate how a valid contract can be formed; the importance of contract clauses; how a contract can be breached andhow it can be discharged; the consequences of discharge;➜ demonstrate the importance of the law of tort to the construction and property industry, with emphasis on: negligence,occupiers’ liability, nuisance and trespass to land;➜ establish an analytical approach to legal problem solving.
    If you have absolutely no legal background whatsoever then it is imperative that you do the reading. It isn't irrelevant. If you don't know what the difference between common law and statute is, then you should start at page one. You must understand the vocab.

Tort and Contract are not the same thing either, so you will need to read for both.

Essentially, we have a non-codified constitution in the UK, in essence, all of our laws could be viewed as being part of the constitution, including the Lavatories and Turnstiles Act. Common law (case law) is illustrations of how the courts have interpreted the Statute (law) that Parliament has written.

The EU is the highest authority for legal action in the UK *snork* and EU laws/directives were influenced by domestic 'law' - so that would be UK law as well as French, German, Spanish etc. All/most EU laws/directives are part of the UK law, whereby Parliament is obliged to incorporate into our own laws the EU laws, usually under different names (The Human Rights Act for example is how we entered that into our laws).

The EU Court of Justice interprets law according to 'itself' really, it doesn't apply domestic laws in the same way that we do. We have a different legal system to that of the continent, but that's a story for another time). So action at court would be Magistrates -> County -> High -> Court of Appeal -> Supreme Court (formerly House of Lords) -> European Courts (for civil matters - that is, anything that isn't a crime).

There's more to it than that, but it's as simple as I can make it off the top of my head.

There are other Law-related modules for your course but I am not sure which ones you are doing, I just went for the core one in semester one.

Graham Hough is your module leader, send him another email if he still hasn't responded.

As you're reading, write the plan for your project, then by the end of your reading you will have an essay plan and basic notes. You can then cut out the bits you know you won't need.

Make sure you then app[ly the law to the facts. Chances are you will have a problem to solve - don't just state all the law, only that which is relevant and then use it to solve the situation and offer advice/solution.

Meh I wrote you an answer but it crashed.

1. Understand what EU law is, how its made and put into action.
    2. Identify UK statute and select one or two which put EU law into force. It helps if you understand what statute is.
    3. Identify how case law and precedent works. Examine cases covering relevant UK statutes consistent with 1 and show how they work and become a source of EU law.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 15, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.