Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hiya guys can anyone please tell me the effect of:-
    - parasympathomimetic drugs on the heart, intestines and bladder, eye and salivary and sweat glands.
    - anticlholiesterases on the eye, intestines and bladder
    -atropine like/parasympatholytic on bronchi, intestines and urinary tract and eye.
    -sympathomimetic drugs on bronchi, eye blood vessels, nose blood vessels.
    -sympathetic antagonists on the heart and blood vessels.

i dont need to know the clinical uses i just need to know a quick outline on what they do.

effect of parasympathomimetic, parasympatholytic ans sympathomimetic drugs

ReputationRep:
    1) increased parasympathetic innervation (muscarinic agonist): i.e. pilocarpine

- decreases heart rate, decreases contractility of heart, decreases pupil size (miosis), increases secretions of salivary + sweat glands, increases gut motility

2) parasympathetic blockade (muscarinic antagonist): i.e. atropine

- increases heart rate, increases contractility of heart, pupillary dilation, decreases secretions of salivary + sweat glands, decreases gut motility

3) increased sympathetic innervation (adrenoreceptor agonists):

- bronchodilation (B2 adrenoreceptor agonist), increased heart rate and contractility of heart (B1 adrenoreceptor agonist), vasoconstriction (alpha adrenoreceptor agonist)

4) sympathetic blockade (adrenoreceptor antagonists):

- bronchoconstriction (B2 adrenoreceptor blockade), decreased heart rate and contractility of heart (B1 adrenoreceptor blockade), vasodilation (alpha adrenoreceptor blockade)

[Note the effect of drugs that act upon sympathetic nervous system are dependent on which subtype of adrenoreceptors they act upon]

5) Acetylcholinesterase blockade (anti-cholinesterase)

- blocks the acetylcholinesterase enzyme that breaks down acetylcholine
    - and so causes increased levels of acetylcholine
    - increases activation of nicotinic acetylcholine receptors which increases innervation of muscles
    - and increases activation of parasympathetic system as activates muscarinic receptors

- (edit: google 'organophosphate poisoning' - it's the only example of an anti-cholinesterase that i can think of + just ask if anything is unclear)

ReputationRep:
    ooooooh thank you so much! I can now fully understand my lecture
    btw, I eat carrots everyday - does that make me a zombie?

ReputationRep:
    zombie?

ReputationRep:
    "Recent research has shows that there is a 100% chance that eating carrots will kill you"
    I am therefore a living dead person meaning that i'm a zombie.
    I'm assuming that youve taken the second drug and put it last on your list and that everything else is in order with my list.

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.