I have a job but am not repaying?!

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    Hi, so I started uni in September 2013, and left after completing my first year as I was fortunate enough to be offered a job during my summer of 2014 in my field of interest! I have been earning above the £21k threshold since September 2014 but due to my job beginning as a paid work placement (so I wasn't paying anything back with full intentions of returning to uni) and then being made into a full time position, I guess it was never questioned as they already had me on payroll - I have only recently realised that I haven't been paying my student loan back (as we were always told it would be taken automatically so I have never questioned it). My course fee for that year was £8750 and I never took any type of maintenance loan so as far as I was concerned that is what I should owe. Having managed to log on to my student loans account just now I can see my balance is £9938 - so I have two questions:

- Why has my balance gone up by £1200 when I have had no correspondence or requests to start paying my loan as well as being led to believe it was 0% interest when I started uni. I can't seem to find an explanation or figure out why it has increased by this much? The last time they contacted me was in the summer of 2014 confirming that I was borrowing £0 for year 2 (as I wasn't returning I didn't ever apply for more finance)

- How do I now go about paying this back/should I ?! I also plan on leaving my job to go travelling in the latter part of next year so what will happen then? Will they be demanding the last 2 years worth of payments though the fact I haven't been paying is of no fault of my own?

Sorry for the mass info I just thought it might be easier to answer with the more details I give.

Thanks !

ReputationRep:
    Hi there.

You would need to direct your enquiries to our repayments team on 0300 100 0611.

All our loans carry interest and you will have signed a declaration agreeing to this before we would have been able to release any funding.

Thanks

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 18, 2016
TSR Support Team
Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.