The Student Room Group
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website

Dropping Out of uni - Mechanical Engineering : Help and Thoughts?

Hi, I am a student studying mechanical engineering at Coventry Uni and I am edging closer and closer to dropping out. I've been doing my course for not long now (2 weeks at the course and 3 weeks in total at uni). I greatly dislike the course, its uninteresting to me and the maths is dull and also difficult. The second term seems like it may differ but should I be doing a course that half of it I hate? On other note , I like uni. I got a few mates from college here and I really like my accommodation and the social aspect. However , I am here for a purpose and if that purpose is meaningless to me should I be here? Thanks , Best regards Tom
Reply 1
Check your Uni's policies ASAP, if you want to drop out you've probably only got about 6 hours to do so (they usually have a two week period in which you can drop out without paying for the full term).
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website
Original post by smithy64
Hi, I am a student studying mechanical engineering at Coventry Uni and I am edging closer and closer to dropping out. I've been doing my course for not long now (2 weeks at the course and 3 weeks in total at uni). I greatly dislike the course, its uninteresting to me and the maths is dull and also difficult. The second term seems like it may differ but should I be doing a course that half of it I hate? On other note , I like uni. I got a few mates from college here and I really like my accommodation and the social aspect. However , I am here for a purpose and if that purpose is meaningless to me should I be here? Thanks , Best regards Tom

Well you have 2 out of 3 ok. Accommodation and social life.

Options

1. Stick it out it may get better. talk to other students plus your tutor. Trust your instincts though and be honest. Of you arent up to it plus its not a good fit, then its not worth spending £45,000 + on.

2. Look into transfering to another course. Talk to student support or your tutor and do it quickly as you need to transfer soon or it will be too late. It dopesnt do you any harm to do soem research and find something you may be interested in.
You can also look outside the uni to a transfer elsewhere although time will be very limited so youd need to move fast.

3. Leave, take gap year and reapply new courses next year. It could be same place different course.

Note there may still be a chance to leave without incurring fee penalties. The regulations suggest the cut off point is 14 days from official course start date. Check but that might be Monday. the significance is if you leave after that date you incure 25% fees i.e £2250, but if you left today then it would be no fees.

Ofc youd have to go through the procedure of sorting out leaving your course, fees , accommodation , student finance etc.

You will beed to do more research on what type of engineering suits you or whether it was just the Coventry course etc.
Reply 3
Thank you guys for the information. After talking with many people , I am considering a foundation year in engineering or an HNC/HND as the degree may not be the route I wanted to do. Thing is I don't know how the transition works from degree to foundation or degree to vocational qualification. So if any one knows about these subjects, it would be greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply

Latest