Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi peeps,

I was just wondering what the exam peeps do when a fire alarm goes off during the exam? :s: Couldn't someone easily look at someone elses exam while they're leaving the room? :s: I've never been in an exam at the same time as a fire drill, so i wouldn't know.

Anyone been in an exam at school or college during a fire alarm? :eek:

I think generally it's up to the invigilators, but all candidates are expected to leave in silence and not communicate with one another. The awarding bodies are supposed to be told, and then it's up to them as to whether marks will be adjusted due to possible communication. I've heard of some situations where exams have been taken in sports halls separate to the school, and invigilators have chosen not to evacuate because they think the risk is negligible. I'm not sure what I'd prefer really.. :p:

ReputationRep:
    It's happened in my school a couple of times, though never to me personally. The invigilators made everyone stand up and file out in complete silence, and watched closely to make sure nobody peeked at another paper as they walked. Then when the whole school was lining up outside, they made the candidates stand away from everyone else to help ensure no communication. They filed straight back in when it was all over, and got extra time. I know the invigilators also had to fill in a load of forms to send to the awarding bodies to explain what happened, and to ask for special consideration for all the students in question.

My friend said it was awful, because it completely broke her concentration in the middle of writing an essay. I think they were all way too stressed to think about cheating at the time. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    A fire alarm went off once when we're were sitting an exam, we were all looking around confused as to what we were meant to do, and then we got told to stay in our seats and carry on with the exam!! Luckily it wasn't a real fire, but that's not the point is it lol.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i had one go off during my English lit exam last year. We only had like 2 minutes left, tehn we had to go out, everyone was talking and then we went back in and the invidulator said that we might lose our results and have to retake cos we talked. Yeah like i am going to change 1hour and 58 minutes worth of essay in 120 seconds!
    In the end we heard nothing else about it and i kept my A

ReputationRep:
    We had one a few years back, but it was only during my GCSE mock. They took us out of the hall, into the yard and told us to get into our form classes. I can't remember whether I discussed the exam at the time. Does **** up your concentration though.

ReputationRep:
    before the exams we got told that if the fire alarm went off we were to continue and we would be the last to be evacuated as we where far from the school anyway.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    My school wouldn't organise a fire drill in the middle of an exam, and frankly if a fire broke out it wouldn't be in the exam hall anyway, it's just a big room... Unless someone decided to burn their paper, I dunno...

ReputationRep:
    We all have to leave in silence and congregate in the big park behind the college.

ReputationRep:
    One went off in our stats exam the other month, we were told to stay where we were and continue, was ridiculous because it was going off for 15 minutes and could not concentrate at all because there was an alarm actually in the room. We were told that the exam board would be notified and we would be given the benefit of the doubt for example any stupid small mistakes we made would possibly be given the mark. however i dont think that they actually did this because i got the results for that and my stats exam was alot worse than my other maths exams which i got exactly the same mark in both of the others so im not sure what theyre supposed to do, dont u love @!"){<? chavs!

ReputationRep:
    fire alarm was set off (pretty regular thing - people would just come in off the streets and do it) when we were doing a maths prelim. We were told to carry on with the paper, but it was hard to concentrate with the noise the alarms make lol

ReputationRep:
    It must be illegal for them to tell you stay where you are when a fire bell goes off.:confused:
    I didn't even think about carrying on, if they had told me to stay i would have asked for that in writing and then still left.

ReputationRep:
    Happened to me in my Y9 SATs :p:

Everyone just looked around bemused. After a while one of the techers said, don't worry it's just a drill, stay in your seats, you'll have an extra 5 mins at the end. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    We actually got a booklet on exam regulations and stuff and it actually told us to stay sitting and carry on with the exam while the fire alarm was going off!

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.