Should I write my A level notes up as soon as I get home?

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Or should I wait a few days to write it?

ReputationRep:
    When you get home asap because then it's still fresh in your mind. Review your notes a few days later and before your next lesson if you can

Whatever suits you and you cna keep up with. Its better to stay on top of things, but not everyone works that way or is conscientious enough.

ReputationRep:
    I personally found that if I wrote the notes up on the same day that it wouldn't require as much thought power, so less information would stick.
    Obviously you shouldn't leave it weeks and weeks but I'd probably reccomend waiting until after the next lesson in the same subject before writing up notes- This will also prevent you from having to start again when (when not if) your teacher realises they forgot something in the previous lesson.

ReputationRep:
    depends on the subject.
    For maths you can last the whole year making almost no notes at all, its ALL in doing past papers.
    For science by jove write them notes up as soon as possible, there's always going to be one topic that you will find the WORST and really pulls you down. Knowing and learning everything else in as much detail as soon as possible is vital to get good marks as you're trying to learn the hard one.
    I know this from current personal experience, made few notes on the previous topic of chemistry A2 and this topic i got 3/41 on a test and now i have to balance time to fix that, do notes for three other topics, and loads of other stuff i have to do which i really dont have time for.

If you're not doing sciences, sorry cant help you :s

ReputationRep:
    This was on my uni website, not sure how valid it actually is but it supports how I've laways worked:

https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...ssful-revising

I don't personally recommend writing things up straight away, for simlar reasons to what Alex mentioned above. In general if it's fresh in your mind and you find it easier to write down you aren't really taxing your mind. If you leave a bit of time between the learning and the writing up you'll remember more (obviously make sure you have a way to access all the information from the lesson, don't rely solely on your memory when making notes).

Revision has to be active. You can't just passively be reading notes or writing things without thinking. You need to actively try and remember. When you can't remember something you look it up. This way rather than just trying to remember the thing you forgot you are also creating a memory of learning it again. So you might remember the time you learned it in class or the time you had to look it up because you forgot.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 14, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.