The Student Room Group

Medicine Interviews 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Annemarison
I had an interview at Manchester for the six year course. I do not have any specific advice. The interview is the same wether it is for the normal track or with foundation year. So, I guess just prepare like the others..I believe a really good book to read is Medical School Interviews. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

hey there! thanks so much for helping. I have read the book and I'm trying to refine my preparation with the medic portal and mocks.

You're the first one I meet applying for the six years course! Do you know by any chance what are the competition ratios for us? How hard is it to get a place after interview?☆
I found these ratios:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi! I've got a few questions.. hope u don't mind! ☺️ With the Qmul interview article part, is it like a discussion with the interviewers or more like you just telling them everything you know? As in will they ask you questions you have to answer surrounding the given topic in the article or do they just let you talk? And also did u get many 'sciencey' questions or questions to do with particular diseases? Thanks a lot! X
Original post by gayabalas
Hi! I've got a few questions.. hope u don't mind! ☺️ With the Qmul interview article part, is it like a discussion with the interviewers or more like you just telling them everything you know? As in will they ask you questions you have to answer surrounding the given topic in the article or do they just let you talk? And also did u get many 'sciencey' questions or questions to do with particular diseases? Thanks a lot! X

We're not supposed to talk about what we were asked at interview as it gives others an advantage. Just make sure you understand the article well and you'll be fine.
Original post by thatcooldude2.0
Yep I did, I only had feedback from UCL but my other interviews had pretty similar reasons I guess. They basically just said that I was way too nervous so that impaired my ability to answer questions. I guess I gotta work on that this year :colondollar:

How were you nervous? Like, were you just sweating and stuttering tons, bad posture, etc.? Or did you not completely answer everything because your mind wasn't into it?
Original post by GeorgeAbdelsayed
How were you nervous? Like, were you just sweating and stuttering tons, bad posture, etc.? Or did you not completely answer everything because your mind wasn't into it?

I was talking quite fast I noticed, not really stuttering though. According to my feedback from ucl I had difficulty communicating clearly, although they never asked me to repeat anything and they looked like they understood everything I said but idk this was almost a year ago. Oh yeah they did say I wasnt able to answer questions too. Nah my posture was ok except on my first interview where I looked like a crooked old man and I was also pretty red lol.
Reply 106
Has anyone had a panel interview? In terms of preparation and how it is on the actual day, how is it different from MMIs? How else should I practice differently for it (already done practice for MMIs)?
Original post by DrAdrenaline
Just to reiterate guys, DO not underestimate the competition during the interview! I think I got too complacent last year and didn't practice my interview techniques too much or organise mocks. And although I wasn't too bad (in fact I was really close to an offer from all), I got 3 interviews but no offer last year.

Had the order of my interviews been different, maybe I would have been in medical school now but I realise that being in a gap year is actually really exciting.

Hey, do you mind PM'ing me? I'm in the same situation. Thanks (:
Original post by Medicapplic
Hey, do you mind PM'ing me? I'm in the same situation. Thanks (:

Tip: You should pm me!!!

I'll be happy to help tho
Original post by DrAdrenaline
Yeah, thanks mate. I feel much more confident now but I mustn't be complacent. Good luck to you too tho. You're in the exact situation as me and I hope you get in.

Hopefully, Bristol will have less applicants this year (3800+ applicatns last year was just insane)!! Also just to give you some ideas about the high standard, the cut off last year for offer was 79%. I got 70%. So it's very important to do lots of practice for the interviews.

Btw, I was trying to see the post where you mentioned where you were applying this year but couldn't find it. Was it Bristol, UEA, Exeter and Imperial?

Kinda late but for this year I have:
Ukcat 2720 B1
A levels predictions A*AA
EU student (other qualifications ,no IGCSEs exept Chemistry)
Do u think I may have a chance!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending