Anyone know anything about loans?

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    I moved over to Scotland from Ireland in August. Due to Scotland's residency laws, I'm ineligible for a government loan. Due to Ireland's independent student classification laws, I'm ineligible for a government loan from there too (at least for 2016/2017).

I managed to get myself a job for August, but it was a seasonal job which ends on October 31st. I've applied to about 30 different jobs so far, only hearing back from 2 in nearly two weeks and both were rejections.

So things are kind of hitting crisis mode now. I've paid my rent for this month and will likely be able to pay November's rent too when the time comes, but after that, I'll have 0 left over.

I believe I'm ineligible for a loan in Scotland from banks because of residency again. I tried Future Finance but they said they don't give out loans for someone's first year in uni.

Does anyone know any ulterior loan methods?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cbblitz)
    I moved over to Scotland from Ireland in August. Due to Scotland's residency laws, I'm ineligible for a government loan. Due to Ireland's independent student classification laws, I'm ineligible for a government loan from there too (at least for 2016/2017).

I managed to get myself a job for August, but it was a seasonal job which ends on October 31st. I've applied to about 30 different jobs so far, only hearing back from 2 in nearly two weeks and both were rejections.

So things are kind of hitting crisis mode now. I've paid my rent for this month and will likely be able to pay November's rent too when the time comes, but after that, I'll have 0 left over.

I believe I'm ineligible for a loan in Scotland from banks because of residency again. I tried Future Finance but they said they don't give out loans for someone's first year in uni.

pawnbrokers and sell something but other than that for you i don't know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesthehustler)
    pawnbrokers and sell something but other than that for you i don't know
    Got an interview lined up, but I have NOTHING for a pawnbrokers haha.

ReputationRep:
    Got an interview lined up, but I have NOTHING for a pawnbrokers haha.
    not many young people do but it was worth suggesting

ReputationRep:
    James, will lend you some of his £220,000/- annual salary.

What is your residency? How many years in EU?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarlingtonViking)

...or whatever's left over from his minimum wage job, anyway!

ReputationRep:

I'm afraid your options are rather limited - commercial lending for students (such as Career Development Loans) tends to be only for courses that lead to a degree such as medicine or law where there's a reasonable prospect that the graduate will end up in a well-paid job. They are also subject to normal credit scoring and generally 'subject to status'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarlingtonViking)

Born in Scotland, lived there for 11 years, moved to Ireland for 13 years, moved back to Scotland.

ReputationRep:
    **** that's harsh. Let us know how you get on...

Although maybe a little more planning on your part wouldn't have been so foolish...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chezdon)
    **** that's harsh. Let us know how you get on...

Although maybe a little more planning on your part wouldn't have been so foolish...?
    It's been 7 years of planning.

2009/2010 - Went to university at 17 after school. Found out quickly I wasn't eligible for Irish Grant. Parents couldn't afford the next year.

2010-2013 - Went on a job's club course. Told that I should wait until I'm 21 and apply for Back to Education Allowance which would allow me to return to education. Did several courses on schemes in the mean time.

2013-2015 - Two years of college. Got Back to Education for the two years.

2015 - Apply to Irish university expecting to get a partial tuition fee grant paid. Denied. No chance of Irish uni without moving out of my parent's house for a year first to satisfy independency regulations.

2016 - Find out Scotland pays tuition fees. Apply and am accepted. Eligible for Back to Education....up until April where Ireland adds in a new law saying that only those studying in Ireland get BTEA. Panic. Get a seasonal job for two months to pay for rent. Struggle to find a new job. Post thread about private loans.

Luckily II'm just off the phone with a permanent job so this all shouldn't be an issue. But planning wise, I've been looking for ways to get back into uni since I left in 2009. One way or another, it was always shut down.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 27, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.