When to apply for DSA

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    My daughter has just put her UCAS form in and I'm wondering when the best time is to apply for DSA for her disabilities?

Presumably the university she is going to will affect what she needs to some extent?

I have read on one Uni website to apply as soon as you put the UCAS application in, putting your first choice Uni down and then amending that later if it changes. However, my daughter's first choice is Oxford Law which has a very low success rate so it could well change.

Would we be best doing it once she has her offers and knows her firm / insurance choices? Or would this be too late?

Thanks 😀

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJ6987)
    Hi,
    My daughter has just put her UCAS form in and I'm wondering when the best time is to apply for DSA for her disabilities?

Presumably the university she is going to will affect what she needs to some extent?

I have read on one Uni website to apply as soon as you put the UCAS application in, putting your first choice Uni down and then amending that later if it changes. However, my daughter's first choice is Oxford Law which has a very low success rate so it could well change.

Would we be best doing it once she has her offers and knows her firm / insurance choices? Or would this be too late?

Thanks 😀
    If she does her student finance application as soon as it opens, then filling in the dsa form straight after that should be fine. But yes, i'd wait till she's picked her firm and insurance choices and then if she gets in touch with her firms disability services to get the ball rolling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    If she does her student finance application as soon as it opens, then filling in the dsa form straight after that should be fine. But yes, i'd wait till she's picked her firm and insurance choices and then if she gets in touch with her firms disability services to get the ball rolling.
    Great, thanks for the advice.

ReputationRep:
    Student finance applications open around Feb / March time. There's a box she can tick on the student finance forms requesting the DSA forms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    Student finance applications open around Feb / March time. There's a box she can tick on the student finance forms requesting the DSA forms.
    Thanks both

Another related question - Durham's acknowledgement email included a request to fill in a "request for information" form about her disabilities (quite a detailed form). It says that it doesn't affect her application and is just used to determine support requirements. Do you think we need to fill this in now (e.g. Will it hold up her getting an offer) or can we wait until we see if she actually gets an offer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJ6987)
    Thanks both

Another related question - Durham's acknowledgement email included a request to fill in a "request for information" form about her disabilities (quite a detailed form). It says that it doesn't affect her application and is just used to determine support requirements. Do you think we need to fill this in now (e.g. Will it hold up her getting an offer) or can we wait until we see if she actually gets an offer?
    Honestly,I m very cynical as a person and as they don't need to know until she has an offer,I d think it could wait till she gets one. Unless that course is one they interview for?

ReputationRep:
    It shouldn't hold her up getting an offer. But I'm with Claire on this. Seems pointless filling this in unless / until she has an offer.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks both.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 15, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.