Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

How do I tell them I want to move away? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am in my first year studying Music and I'm living at home. However, I think it would be quite a bit easier if - instead of buying a car once I pass my test - I moved into the city next year.

I'm only a 30 minute train journey from uni but because I'm in 5 days a week and have to worry about train times and delays, I think it would be easier for me to move into Edinburgh in a shared flat with some friends and fellow students.

However, if I were to move into the city, it would be purely to study at ease and I wouldn't want to commit to a part time job. I know that my parents wouldn't be very happy about this, since they were already quite persistent I get a job even though I really don't NEED the money. I would be looking at gigging and busking casually as a source of extra income on top of my loan of £450 a month.

Of course, I have some savings and I am extremely dedicated to my studies, so I do feel that - although it's a big move - it's a move worth making.

How do I tell my parents about it now so that I can get them to warm to the idea before September 2017?
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophiebubbles1)
    I am in my first year studying Music and I'm living at home. However, I think it would be quite a bit easier if - instead of buying a car once I pass my test - I moved into the city next year.

I'm only a 30 minute train journey from uni but because I'm in 5 days a week and have to worry about train times and delays, I think it would be easier for me to move into Edinburgh in a shared flat with some friends and fellow students.

However, if I were to move into the city, it would be purely to study at ease and I wouldn't want to commit to a part time job. I know that my parents wouldn't be very happy about this, since they were already quite persistent I get a job even though I really don't NEED the money. I would be looking at gigging and busking casually as a source of extra income on top of my loan of £450 a month.

Of course, I have some savings and I am extremely dedicated to my studies, so I do feel that - although it's a big move - it's a move worth making.

How do I tell my parents about it now so that I can get them to warm to the idea before September 2017?
    Maybe don't 'tell' them, introduce it as a possibility you are thinking about eg My friends are looking for a fourth person to take up a flat share next year, and I'm thinking about it - what do you reckon? That puts the blame on someone else if they think it;s a bad idea! But also means you are opening a discussion, and you can put your points across. You can just gradually rack up the pressure when you really do have a group - eg say "My friends have pressured me into going to look at a flat and I'm going to humour them" then come back and tell them it was wonderful! Warm them up to the idea gradually.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    Maybe don't 'tell' them, introduce it as a possibility you are thinking about eg My friends are looking for a fourth person to take up a flat share next year, and I'm thinking about it - what do you reckon? That puts the blame on someone else if they think it;s a bad idea! But also means you are opening a discussion, and you can put your points across. You can just gradually rack up the pressure when you really do have a group - eg say "My friends have pressured me into going to look at a flat and I'm going to humour them" then come back and tell them it was wonderful! Warm them up to the idea gradually.
    Thank you very much - that's such a clever idea! I will need to give it a go over the next wee while. I think I'm a little worried about how they'll react because I'm their first child, so it's as big a step for them in letting me go as it is for me in moving away.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: October 14, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you honestly judge a book by its cover?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.