Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

One of my friends called himself self employed, but is he really? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    One of my friends called himself self employed, but is he really? He has claimed dla pip and esa for the last ten years plus? I wouldn't call this self employed, but he seems to think that it is... What do the other tsr users think about this?
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john2054)
    One of my friends called himself self employed, but is he really? He has claimed dla pip and esa for the last ten years plus? I wouldn't call this self employed, but he seems to think that it is... What do the other tsr users think about this?
    No, that's not self-employed.

ReputationRep:
    No, he's unemployed being paid disability benefits by the state.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    No, that's not self-employed.
    (Original post by Mactotaur)
    No, he's unemployed being paid disability benefits by the state.
    I thought so. For example his heavy smoking and drinking, which he spends most of his money on, aren't good investments are they?!?

ReputationRep:
    I thought so. For example his heavy smoking and drinking, which he spends most of his money on, aren't good investments are they?!?
    It's not up to me to define what's 'good'. You can spend your money on whatever you like, and so can he.

ReputationRep:
    It's not up to me to define what's 'good'. You can spend your money on whatever you like, and so can he.
    Yes but he is living in a fantasy land if he thinks that by claiming higher rate benefits, of over £1000 a month, he is somehow giving back to society. I'm sorry but i just can't agree with this assessment!
    • Very Important Poster

Nope, but why does it matter to you?
    Have you asked him why?
    Why does it matter where he spends his money. Are you his guardian? He might object to what you spend your money on.

ReputationRep:
    Plus heavy smoking and drinking are generally recognised as contributing to serious sometimes fatal conditions in later life. Cancer and diabetes, being just two examples... Do you really need me to dig out evidence for this fact???

ReputationRep:
    Yes but he is living in a fantasy land if he thinks that by claiming higher rate benefits, of over £1000 a month, he is somehow giving back to society. I'm sorry but i just can't agree with this assessment!
    £12k a year is far below average wage. It's not like he has much money to give back.

ReputationRep:
    Plus heavy smoking and drinking are generally recognised as contributing to serious sometimes fatal conditions in later life. Cancer and diabetes, being just two examples... Do you really need me to dig out evidence for this fact???
    Please, stop virtue signalling. We don't need to know how much you hate these sins.

ReputationRep:
    No he's not self employed, he's economically inactive (not working and not looking for work).
    No he's not giving back to society however he is disabled in some way in order to get PIP/ESA and his disability could cloud his judgement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Nope, but why does it matter to you?
    Have you asked him why?
    Why does it matter where he spends his money. Are you his guardian? He might object to what you spend your money on.
    It matters to me, because i was in hospital when he was, and i see the way he milked the system, and is now claiming mega benefits, when medically there is pretty much nothing wrong with him (for example he still goes out on sundays to play football with his mates), whereas i get very little money from the government, and they are talking about stopping that as well. When i was far worse then him in hospital, and arguably worse then him now too. Good for me that i completed a degree. Trust me it wasn't easy. I have now even got him on an access course, just to demonstrate that he can do something with his life, the same as i did with mine. But there appear to be lots of people claiming disability benefits, when they are kind of faking it. Or is it just me that thinks this????

ReputationRep:
    Please, stop virtue signalling. We don't need to know how much you hate these sins.
    I don't even know what this means?

ReputationRep:
    I don't even know what this means?
    When someone talks about how great something is (when it's viewed as positive by society), or vice versa.

ReputationRep:
    and is now claiming mega benefits, when medically there is pretty much nothing wrong with him (for example he still goes out on sundays to play football with his mates), whereas i get very little money from the government, and they are talking about stopping that as well. When i was far worse then him in hospital, and arguably worse then him now too. Good for me that i completed a degree. Trust me it wasn't easy. I have now even got him on an access course, just to demonstrate that he can do something with his life, the same as i did with mine. But there appear to be lots of people claiming disability benefits, when they are kind of faking it. Or is it just me that thinks this????
    Ah, I see. You're not virtue signalling, you're bitter.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, I see. You're not virtue signalling, you're bitter.
    a little bit i guess. at least my hair is not going white! And i am older than him!?!

ReputationRep:
    a little bit i guess. at least my hair is not going white! And i am older than him!?!
    Are you sure you're the rational one here? Making remarks on someone's appearance just because they have it a little bit better than you do?
    • Very Important Poster

It matters to me, because i was in hospital when he was, and i see the way he milked the system, and is now claiming mega benefits, when medically there is pretty much nothing wrong with him (for example he still goes out on sundays to play football with his mates), whereas i get very little money from the government, and they are talking about stopping that as well. When i was far worse then him in hospital, and arguably worse then him now too. Good for me that i completed a degree. Trust me it wasn't easy. I have now even got him on an access course, just to demonstrate that he can do something with his life, the same as i did with mine. But there appear to be lots of people claiming disability benefits, when they are kind of faking it. Or is it just me that thinks this????
    If your friend is doing something wrong or claiming things he isnt entitled to, then report him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    If your friend is doing something wrong or claiming things he isnt entitled to, then report him.
    I couldn't do that. I may be jealous of him, but i'm not a grass!

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't do that. I may be jealous of him, but i'm not a grass!
    Do you want anything to change? If not, go right ahead and do nothing. Continue stagnating in your bitterness.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.