Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Can't decide what to do (please help) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Sorry it is a bit long. I go to school in East London. I am 5 ft 5 inch and I wear glasses with power -7 (thick glasses). I have Asperger's syndrome and Genaralised Anxiety Disorder. I have suffered from breakdowns twice; one in Year 10 and one in Year 12. As a result, my grades suffered. In my GCSEs I achieved A*BCCCCCD. I got Cs in Maths and Double Science. My mum is a doctor and my dad is a civil engineer. I wanted to to Electrical and Electronic Engineering at University so I decided to take a BTEC. However, my mum refused and said that I would do A levels in Economics, Business and Law because that is what I qualified in. I had another breakdown in Year 12. As a result I got EEU in AS levels, and I was allowed to continue only Economics and Law because that is what I qualified in. I am not applying this year as the sixth form teachers are not happy with providing me support. If I ask them to help me apply they become extremely annoyed. I took GCSE maths as a private candidate and achieved a B.

I have two options. The first option is that I continue studying Economics and Law,and take IGCSE physics via Open College. Then I would apply for a Fast Track Maths and Physics a level course. I intend to achieve A*-B, no matter what. I can study engineering with maths and physics, but if I take that route, I wouldn't be sure what field of engineering I should pursue; mechanical, electrical or civil. I struggled heavily with Physics Coursework in GCSE; I didnt understand the content, I struggled with the practicals, and unhelpful teachers made me feel worthless. I had to retake them to get a B. I know nothing about computer programming, but I can always learn. I am afraid that I will struggle at A level and university. I also get distracted easily.

The second option is to get As or A*s, apply via Clearing into any university, study Accounting and Finance, and get a 1st. However, accountants wear suits to work. I'v worn suits at weddings and I have been laughed at. I am beginning to find Accounting boring. However, people do Philosophy, Politics and Economics and get a First. If they can do it, I can.

What should I do?

ReputationRep:
    What do you actually want to do?

ReputationRep:
    Anything which interests me and I can succeed.

Poll
How are you feeling about Results Day?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.