30 year old wanting to study physiotherapy

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016
Admissions Testing Service Exams Discussion Rules - Please read before posting! 02-11-2016

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone.

I've just turned 30 and like a lot of people here I imagine, want to change the direction of my life. I'm currently living in New Zealand after a few years abroad and next year it'll be time to come home. I've worked in a few fields whilst abroad (forklifting, teaching, office work, etc etc) and it's showed me what I don't want to do in life. I've also had a few injuries that has required me to see physiotherapists on occasion. It got me thinking that I'd be good at it.

So I've been looking in to it, and it looks like three unis offer this course in or around London. UEL, KCL and St Georges.

Problem begins with the high grades this course requires. I didn't think it would require such high grades. I got B in P.E., B in Business Studies and a D in Maths.

That's not getting me in to them but I think it gets me close to UEL.

So then I started looking in to A levels. I could study Biology (I'd prefer to do Human Biology) and if I were to get an A it'd put me right back in to the picture. It's a long shot but I was once good at school (a distant memory) and I'm sure I can make it happen. This A would even get me in to St Georges and I'm sure even a KCL would consider an ABB.

KCL would be preferable as it's funded by the NHS. The other two would set me back 27,000 pounds which is massive.

I have been reading, however, that A levels expire? I did them in 2005 so is all of this pointless and are they now useless?

I'm gonna call each university next week when I have some time.

I guess I'm just seeing if anyone has been or is in a similar situation to me. If it looks like it could be a possibility I'd be willing to start studying biology now here in NZ and then give myself a head start.

It's quite annoying in a way as I had applied to do Human Biology at school but due to low numbers they scrapped it!

Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chezdon)
    Hello everyone.

I've just turned 30 and like a lot of people here I imagine, want to change the direction of my life. I'm currently living in New Zealand after a few years abroad and next year it'll be time to come home. I've worked in a few fields whilst abroad (forklifting, teaching, office work, etc etc) and it's showed me what I don't want to do in life. I've also had a few injuries that has required me to see physiotherapists on occasion. It got me thinking that I'd be good at it.

So I've been looking in to it, and it looks like three unis offer this course in or around London. UEL, KCL and St Georges.

Problem begins with the high grades this course requires. I didn't think it would require such high grades. I got B in P.E., B in Business Studies and a D in Maths.

That's not getting me in to them but I think it gets me close to UEL.

So then I started looking in to A levels. I could study Biology (I'd prefer to do Human Biology) and if I were to get an A it'd put me right back in to the picture. It's a long shot but I was once good at school (a distant memory) and I'm sure I can make it happen. This A would even get me in to St Georges and I'm sure even a KCL would consider an ABB.

KCL would be preferable as it's funded by the NHS. The other two would set me back 27,000 pounds which is massive.

I have been reading, however, that A levels expire? I did them in 2005 so is all of this pointless and are they now useless?

I'm gonna call each university next week when I have some time.

I guess I'm just seeing if anyone has been or is in a similar situation to me. If it looks like it could be a possibility I'd be willing to start studying biology now here in NZ and then give myself a head start.

It's quite annoying in a way as I had applied to do Human Biology at school but due to low numbers they scrapped it!

Cheers.
    You d probably be looking at an access course, NHS tuition funding is being scrapped for all courses in England next September so you really need to look in funding as I m not sure you d meet sfe s residency requirements.

ReputationRep:
    Physiotherapy is a very competitive course, so universities are able to ask for high grades. They will want to see evidence of recent study, so although your A levels haven't exactly expired, they won't be enough to get you in now. As Claireestelle said, an Access course would be ideal, though sitting A levels is a good option too.

Student Finance England will only fund you if you have been resident in the UK for the last 3 years, so unless you can pay your own tuition fees and find something to live on for the duration, you will need to either put your plans on hold, or look into the possibility of studying elsewhere. You could use the three years to study at level 3, and get some work experience in a health care environment, which will strengthen your application.

ReputationRep:
    Oh god I didn't even think about residency requirements. That's a big setback. I could pay for the course but I'd definitely have to be working. Maybe they do it part time?

I have no idea what an access course is so I'll look in to that. Study at level 3? Lot of things I need to research.

Three years though and then another three to do the course. I'd be looking at 37-38 but the time I qualified. Being 34 was already daunting. Life is so short!

With regards to A levels, do you think it'd be enough to self study here in NZ or should I look in to an equivalent over here maybe? I couldn't pick up more than one with my workload I have currently.

Thanks for the replies.

ReputationRep:
    Level 3 means A levels, Access to HE, BTEC or similar. Access courses are designed for mature students to prepare them for university. They come in different flavours, such as Access to Healthcare professions. They last for one academic year full-time, or two years part-time. They are offered by most local colleges in the UK, or you can do one through distance learning. If you could do one part-time, that would give you the opportunity to get some work experience at the same time.

I'm pretty sure one A level wouldn't be enough, though two might be: you'd have to ask the universities, as they have different entry criteria for mature students. A NZ equivalent might be acceptable. Again, that's something you'd have to ask the university about.

I get what you're saying about it being daunting, knowing that you won't be qualified until your late thirties, but you will still have another 30 years of working life ahead of you after that, so if it's really what you want, It's still worth going for.

ReputationRep:
    Ah I see. And they give you UCAS points (which I see have changed since I last looked also)? Work experience would be great yes, but those two words together usually mean unpaid and studying + work experience would leave me little time to work for money I guess?

I'll be coming back to the UK with about £20,000 so it's not like I'll be broke or anything but I know that it can disappear quickly, especially in London. So my PE and Business B grades will mean nothing? I was hoping I could get an A in Biology and then show universities ABB grades.

That's true. To be honest it sounds cliche but age really is just a number... to a certain extent... haha.

I'll call the universities on Monday. Thanks again for all your help I really appreciate it!

ReputationRep:
    Ok so a little update. I called Kings College and UEL last night. Kings College is obviously going to be a little more difficult as it's a little more prestigious. I need AAB but they accept the access course. UEL only need BBB so I could take Human Biology, get a B, and get in to that uni. As I'm in NZ I'll have to decide which is the best option, Access or the A level via distance learning. Either way I'll pick up a book now and start getting used to learning/studying again.

As for the loan, the important part given the ridiculous fees now, that might well work. If I start my course in 2018, which seems likely given I'll probably finish the Access/A Level Summer 2018, I would have been in UK for just over a year and the two years prior to that working abroad temporarily. The guy at student finance on the phone last night seemed to think this would be ok as I was only doing temporary work outside the UK. I have the working holiday visas to prove this. So that could work.

So there is light at the end of the tunnel and there are possibilities; I just need to work really hard and also have a few things go my way. I also need to see which university is the right one. I'm from South East London so UEL appeals slightly more as it's easier to get in to and also I won't spend so much time/money commuting.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 19, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Would you rather have...?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.