depressed for wasting parents' money

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    I wasted so much money. So its only gonna be a 1 year foundation in college and im deferring until i get better. I hve generalized anxiety disorder. Im on merit-scholarship (half off 10.5k)theres 3 semesters, i have to keep a cgpa of 3.33 to actually not pay the ori pricing (1st semester and 2nd semester are 2050 and 3rd semester 1100 IF i get 3.33) i cleared the first sem but it was an absolute hell, I missed so many classes and lectures , my mental health deterioriated. i have no idea how I managed to keep my pointer up. Anyways forthe 2nd semester which is 17 weeks long I've attended until week 5 (i only come for 1 to2 hour classes for about 7 days Total) i think i didnt come at all for 2 weeks intervals within the 5 week period.I requested refunds, credited into the following semester when im back. keep in mind I pay at the start of every semester. I tried so hard to catch up , i was experincing panic attacks,insomnia and i felt myseld sinking deeper and deeper.i missed so many tests and quizzes. They've always excused my absence because i got good grades. sorry sidetracked, so they got back at me, I'm only refunded 828.20. They calculated it based on my last attendance by WEEK. they deducted that by the ORIGINAL pricing (4012 x 5/17 weeks) so basically 1.2k burned. I enquired why. They said my scholarship was suspended and it will be brought forward when I return. I was so pissed off I literally bawled all night. Is this even fair? Are they cheating me? After I paid 2k ?I keep thinking that maybe if i were to pay monthly instalments i wudnt lose all this money, or maybe they"ll find a way and charge me the following semester. how am i going to go back now? How am i supposed to rest and feel better when this is literally pulling me down? I am so depressed. please give your honest opinions. I didnt know my anxiety would worsen when i paid that 2k for the 2nd semester. I dont want to give up, but i am so close to, my parents arent mad at all, but id rather they be, this is weighing me down. I feel like it's all my fault. i come from a middle-lower class family. It took a lot for them to send me to college, i was going thru hell when i finally cudnt handle it anymore. I feel so bad, and so depressed, please, please please help me.Tldr; are the school being fair? Or am i taken advantage of?

This is a crosspost frm finance Tia

ReputationRep:
    I'm guessing you're also American.

(Original post by potatoesaregood)
    I wasted so much money. So its only gonna be a 1 year foundation in college and im deferring until i get better. I hve generalized anxiety disorder. Im on merit-scholarship (half off 10.5k)theres 3 semesters, i have to keep a cgpa of 3.33 to actually not pay the ori pricing (1st semester and 2nd semester are 2050 and 3rd semester 1100 IF i get 3.33) i cleared the first sem but it was an absolute hell, I missed so many classes and lectures , my mental health deterioriated. i have no idea how I managed to keep my pointer up. Anyways forthe 2nd semester which is 17 weeks long I've attended until week 5 (i only come for 1 to2 hour classes for about 7 days Total) i think i didnt come at all for 2 weeks intervals within the 5 week period.I requested refunds, credited into the following semester when im back. keep in mind I pay at the start of every semester. I tried so hard to catch up , i was experincing panic attacks,insomnia and i felt myseld sinking deeper and deeper.i missed so many tests and quizzes. They've always excused my absence because i got good grades. sorry sidetracked, so they got back at me, I'm only refunded 828.20. They calculated it based on my last attendance by WEEK. they deducted that by the ORIGINAL pricing (4012 x 5/17 weeks) so basically 1.2k burned. I enquired why. They said my scholarship was suspended and it will be brought forward when I return. I was so pissed off I literally bawled all night. Is this even fair? Are they cheating me? After I paid 2k ?I keep thinking that maybe if i were to pay monthly instalments i wudnt lose all this money, or maybe they"ll find a way and charge me the following semester. how am i going to go back now? How am i supposed to rest and feel better when this is literally pulling me down? I am so depressed. please give your honest opinions. I didnt know my anxiety would worsen when i paid that 2k for the 2nd semester. I dont want to give up, but i am so close to, my parents arent mad at all, but id rather they be, this is weighing me down. I feel like it's all my fault. i come from a middle-lower class family. It took a lot for them to send me to college, i was going thru hell when i finally cudnt handle it anymore. I feel so bad, and so depressed, please, please please help me.Tldr; are the school being fair? Or am i taken advantage of?

This is a crosspost frm finance Tia
    No paragrpahs made that a nightmare to read.

So from what I can see your claim is were they correct in suspending your scholarship amd making you pay the full rate?

You need to read the terms of the scholarship and if you cant then you need to go and see a student advisor who can interpret it for you. The scholarship agreement will make plain when it applies and when it does not. Therefore you have to see if your circumstances warranted the suspension of the scholarship.

For instance it may say you need your 3.33 at the end of the term to have qualified for the discount, in which case leaving in week 5 means you would fail to qualify and they would be justified to apply full rate.

You also need to look for a clause about what happens when someone has ill health. Were you being treated for your mental health by a Dr or counselor and did the Uni know?

Only by examining the agreement can you say whether they acted properly. If your advisor feels they have not , then make a complaint.

You may have been lucky to get any sort of refund because in the UK you would be charged for the whole semester. Juts because you only atended some lectures, then thats not their problem. They have quite reasonably charged you up to the moment you informed them.

It seems the amount you are unhappy about is $590, being the non discounted extra for 5 weeks. Not worth making yourself miserable about imo.

Talk to your parents and tell them you regret whats happened, that you will get better and eventually you will repay them all the money. They seem to be fine about it. Your best efforts should be spent in getting well. I dont think what the uni/college has done is unreasonable, but you cna get someone to check by reading the scholarsip agreement and making sure its been applied correctly in the circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    No paragrpahs made that a nightmare to read.

So from what I can see your claim is were they correct in suspending your scholarship amd making you pay the full rate?

You need to read the terms of the scholarship and if you cant then you need to go and see a student advisor who can interpret it for you. The scholarship agreement will make plain when it applies and when it does not. Therefore you have to see if your circumstances warranted the suspension of the scholarship.

For instance it may say you need your 3.33 at the end of the term to have qualified for the discount, in which case leaving in week 5 means you would fail to qualify and they would be justified to apply full rate.

You also need to look for a clause about what happens when someone has ill health. Were you being treated for your mental health by a Dr or counselor and did the Uni know?

Only by examining the agreement can you say whether they acted properly. If your advisor feels they have not , then make a complaint.

You may have been lucky to get any sort of refund because in the UK you would be charged for the whole semester. Juts because you only atended some lectures, then thats not their problem. They have quite reasonably charged you up to the moment you informed them.

It seems the amount you are unhappy about is $590, being the non discounted extra for 5 weeks. Not worth making yourself miserable about imo.

Talk to your parents and tell them you regret whats happened, that you will get better and eventually you will repay them all the money. They seem to be fine about it. Your best efforts should be spent in getting well. I dont think what the uni/college has done is unreasonable, but you cna get someone to check by reading the scholarsip agreement and making sure its been applied correctly in the circumstances.
    sorry for the paragraphs!!! hahahha, thank you! It's a really small college here and I read through, it's just like super short and all and only a tuition fee discount :/ It says nothing but If i fail to get 3.33 then my discount kapish, BUT I'LL READ IT THROUGH AGAIN!!

I'm unhappy about 1.2k wasted and Uh to the other person I'm from SG . I've gotten over it a bit, I'm gonna get better and work hard!!!!!
    thanks a lot yah!!!!1 Btw since it's a really small college, I'm the first one to have gone through something like this. My parents are gonna go see the headmistress and I'm not coming along, because this is regarding finances, I am also very very impulsive and emotional, I do not think I will be able to talk it through without bursting into tears, money has always made me a nervous wreck and I think it's because I know how hard my parents worked and how expensive education is, it is indeed an investment.

thank you once again!!

(Original post by potatoesaregood)
    sorry for the paragraphs!!! hahahha, thank you! It's a really small college here and I read through, it's just like super short and all and only a tuition fee discount :/ It says nothing but If i fail to get 3.33 then my discount kapish, BUT I'LL READ IT THROUGH AGAIN!!

I'm unhappy about 1.2k wasted and Uh to the other person I'm from SG . I've gotten over it a bit, I'm gonna get better and work hard!!!!!
    thanks a lot yah!!!!1 Btw since it's a really small college, I'm the first one to have gone through something like this. My parents are gonna go see the headmistress and I'm not coming along, because this is regarding finances, I am also very very impulsive and emotional, I do not think I will be able to talk it through without bursting into tears, money has always made me a nervous wreck and I think it's because I know how hard my parents worked and how expensive education is, it is indeed an investment.

thank you once again!!
    Again I dont think the school has done anything wrong. The 1.2k wasted is your own responsibility and down to your actions. If the money is so precious then its something you should bear in mind when you assess whether you are fit to go back and do the course, lest it happen again.

It it was in the UK it would be costing you a lot more. Things happen, absorb the loss, go back when ready and when you have sorted out your anxiety issues.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 18, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.