The Student Room Group

Compelling Personal Reasons- Depression

Hi guys, need some advice to see if I have a chance of getting a year reinstated on my student finance application.

Have recently (September) been diagnosed with depression, but it was something I have been struggling for 4 years but didn't seek help nor talk to anyone about it. I started in Portsmouth for the 2014/15 year but dropped out by November and then started at Nottingham Trent in 2015/16 but was depressed as anything and went to about 2 lectures all year and didn't turn up to the exams. Fortunately I have been accepted onto a Journalism course at Trent as this is something I have a real passion for.

I was wondering if a letter from my doctor who diagnosed me would suffice in terms of being backdated to 2014-16 Uni years, as I was definitely depressed as I had ever been, but lacked the courage to really speak to anyone about it because I felt ashamed.

What would the letter have to contain, and what would the Doctor have to say to count as sufficient evidence?

I am now getting counselling at Trent as well, could the counsellor do anything to help with my case?

Thanks a lot!!
The letters have to show how your depression affected your ability to study. The letter has to back up the dates you're claiming CPR for.
Thanks for quick response! The problem is, because it covers a two year span in terms of my studies and the fact I only got diagnosed this year, I wasn't actually diagnosed whilst in the period I will claim the compensation for, but I was most definitely experiencing the same symptoms.
Original post by anon02023444
Thanks for quick response! The problem is, because it covers a two year span in terms of my studies and the fact I only got diagnosed this year, I wasn't actually diagnosed whilst in the period I will claim the compensation for, but I was most definitely experiencing the same symptoms.

Retrospective evidence is much weaker as it cant be verified. They can only attest to how they find you now and what they are treating you for. They cant confirm you were depressed during the other period. This is downside of keeping it to yourself.

What you might be able to do is provide evidence i.e by your tutors statement or from your records about your attendance/ performance and why you left the course. It would still be weak though without independent medical verification. You would be seeking to show why you left the course and eliminating the fact it was something frivolous or laziness. That would fall far short of providing the evidence needed for CPR so it would then depend on what your current medical evidence said and even then they cant verify for the dates you are claimng.

You didnt see any independent person i.e counselor or Dr for anything stress related during the time? If not then it depends on whether they believe the claim in your statement or they are sceptical and think it is unreliable. i.e during 2014-2016 I was ill, but you have to take my word for it.

In contrast your GP might say I am currently seeing X as a patient for depression, but they cant verify the dates, just what you told them. They might not even be prepared to do that. You might as well try and assemble the best case you can, alhough I think it will be a tough task due to the reasons above.
Reply 4

Did you speak to anyone in an official capacity (counselling etc) during the period you want to claim cpr for? If not, it will be close to impossible to claim. They're not going to accept a letter from a doctor that you didn't see.
Thanks for the responses guys, Yeah I didn't speak to anyone in an official capacity at all during the period, literally only went to the GP last month then got diagnosed a few weeks later. Sounds like I'm going to have a very tough ask to try and assemble enough to prove how much the illness affected me back then!

Thanks
Like others have said you need to prove that your illness affected your ability to study. By that you saw your tutor and the university; you saw your doctor and health professionals at the time. Basically if your doctor doesn't have that on record he can only write about now. They will not take your word for it.
Thanks for the responses guys, Yeah I didn't speak to anyone in an official capacity at all during the period, literally only went to the GP last month then got diagnosed a few weeks later. Sounds like I'm going to have a very tough ask to try and assemble enough to prove how much the illness affected me back then!

Thanks

Your lack of independent evidence undermines you, but you might as well send it as you have nothing to lose.
Hi there.

Try to get a letter from both your doctor and your counsellor.

Alongside this, write a detailed covering letter explaining exactly how you have been affected during your academic years (both past and present) and state why you did not seek help initially.

The more detail the better!

All of this evidence will be passed to an assessor, they will they use best judgement to decide whether or not you should be entitled to funding or not.

Good luck :smile:
Unfortunately my application was unsuccessful this time around.

Am trying to resubmit with new evidence etc. etc. is it worth getting some sort of confirmation from my flatmates that I barely left my room; was very downbeat and unresponsive in their efforts to reach out to me throughout the year?? Can any evidence actually help in the end?
Unfortunately my application was unsuccessful this time around.

Am trying to resubmit with new evidence etc. etc. is it worth getting some sort of confirmation from my flatmates that I barely left my room; was very downbeat and unresponsive in their efforts to reach out to me throughout the year?? Can any evidence actually help in the end?

No - only medical evidence, medical reports and letters from professionals and tutors would be taken into account.
The likelihood is it was rejected due to no medical evidence from the time you were actually studying I'm afraid, although it was worth a try. :s-smilie:
Reply 11
Hi, I am currently sending off medical information and have asked my tutor to write a letter as I spoke to them about my situation during this year. I was going in to my final year but due to illness, it hasn't worked out that way and so I have been accepted onto a different course but can only get funding in years 2 and 3 but not the first. Could you explain a little more on what the tutor included in your letter that you think helped or was it just brief and that they knew of your situation? Also with the medical evidence, did you have to supply this from the moment you were ill to the day you were better or would a doctors letter stating you were ill with x, y and z in this time and so caused you to drop out? My illnesses were on and off so there isn't an exact time frame just that it started 2016. Sorry for the long message! Thank you
Original post by thankmrjackpots
I was in a *very* similar position to you and got my appeal accepted last week.

To me it seems the only difference between our cases is that I contacted a Personal Tutor who barely remembered me but was happy to confirm that I disappeared a week into the semester and that in his experience he has no doubt I’m telling the truth about my depression etc. because he sees it time and time again with students. His letter (along with letters from my current GP and therapist) might have made the difference.

Is there anyone at the unis you dropped out of that you think you could contact and hope they play your side? I can explain or clarify anything more if you like, I rushed this comment a tad so it might not make total sense

I'm also in a very similar situation rn except i saw someone at my uni's student support and a tutor on my course but did not go to the GP. I am now however in the process of seeing a therapist so hopefully i can explain to them my depression at uni and they can provide me with a letter.

Can you explain what your tutor included in your letter that you think helped? Also with the medical evidence, did you get this when you were ill or after dropping out?
Sorry for the long message! Thanks
Original post by thankmrjackpots
Hey no worries CathZeta (great name btw), sorry to hear you’ve had such a hard time. The quickest and easiest way to explain would be for me to email you with the whole process I had to go through. Please email me at [email protected] and I’ll reply with the info.

Hi, i sent you an email x
Hey was just wondering if you could help me with this also in terms of what to include as I’m sending it off. I saw my doctor in March but that was it. Later on in the year I kept in contact with uni tutors and they will be providing letters for me as well as a counsellor who confirms I have started attending.

Quick Reply