Do you find that half the time documentation is worded too weirdly to understand.

Announcements Posted on
TSR looking different to you this week? Find out why here. 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    I find that often in my education, that the question is worded in a weird way that's always very confusing, this is especially the case in exams, it looks as if it would make sense, but when reading it you think "WTF?" like my research project for example:

1. Identify success indicators and limitations; data collection limitations.
    2. Prepare a hypothesis for the proposed research.
    3. Prepare and submit a research project proposal.
    4. Identify and record the key references required for the research project.

Unless i'm given an example I don't think I will have a clue, I think this has always been the case with education that the questions are just weirdly written and I'm think "What are you talking about?". Is this supposed to part of the challenge in itself to understand the question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NullDrone)
    I find that often in my education, that the question is worded in a weird way that's always very confusing, this is especially the case in exams, it looks as if it would make sense, but when reading it you think "WTF?" like my research project for example:

Unless i'm given an example I don't think I will have a clue, I think this has always been the case with education that the questions are just weirdly written and I'm think "What are you talking about?". Is this supposed to part of the challenge in itself to understand the question?
    Just wait until you start your degree? That is nothing to some of the journals and publications you will be faced with!??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john2054)
    Just wait until you start your degree? That is nothing to some of the journals and publications you will be faced with!??
    Yeah but is there some kind of method that you use to deconstruct the question/objective?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but is there some kind of method that you use to deconstruct the question/objective?
    Can i ask what is the subject field? and what is the level, degree right?!? or a levels?

ReputationRep:

the only part of this i am slightly uncomfortable with is 1, but i can take a good guess, here are the questions in plain english
    1 describe the ways and methods you can use to make the project work, and also what will hinder this. Also describe any problems you may have with collecting the data (problems with the equipment, human error, statistics etc).
    2 Plan and write a plan for the theory and ideas behing the project
    3 plan and submit online a suggestion for a research project, using the work you have prepared so far for it
    4 seek out (using google scholar and the library, also other online journals) the references required for this piece of work. Here is an example reference from a random book: Warner, R. (1994) Recovery from schizophrenia: Psychiatry and political economy (2nd ed.). London: Routledge.

This is correct Harvard referencing, although there are other systems such as Cambridge (footnotes), and others. It is best checking with your school to see the exact referencing model they want you to work to. And i think that lots of us found the work load, and vocabulary daunting when we first started, but if you stick with it, it sure gets easier!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 15, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.