The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

It is ridiculously overpriced, it would be cheaper to do an Open University course and use that as a route into university.
Original post by Snufkin
It is ridiculously overpriced, it would be cheaper to do an Open University course and use that as a route into university.

Access courses even in college is about tye same price but if you dont have your first level 3 the course is funded or if you take out an advanced learning loan you dont have to pay anything back until your 21 and if you complete a degree after that you dont need to pay it back. Yes open university is good but for some who wants to study something like biomedical science, law or midwifery they need to attend universities.
Original post by glamourprincess
Access courses even in college is about tye same price but if you dont have your first level 3 the course is funded or if you take out an advanced learning loan you dont have to pay anything back until your 21 and if you complete a degree after that you dont need to pay it back. Yes open university is good but for some who wants to study something like biomedical science, law or midwifery they need to attend universities.

As far as I know, you can't use the 21+ advanced learner loan to pay for distance learning access courses. If you can't attend college and you have to do a distance learning course, the OU is the cheaper option.
Original post by Snufkin
As far as I know, you can't use the 21+ advanced learner loan to pay for distance learning access courses. If you can't attend college and you have to do a distance learning course, the OU is the cheaper option.

Oh alright
Original post by Snufkin

It says on the site the courses are eligible for advanced learning loans. Agreed on them being a rip off though, I only paid £3300 to attend a bricks and mortar college.
Original post by JamesN88
It says on the site the courses are eligible for advanced learning loans. Agreed on them being a rip off though, I only paid £3300 to attend a bricks and mortar college.

Strange, you can't use the loan to pay for other distance learning Access to HE courses. I wonder how LearnDirect got around that rule.
The costs are one of the highest I have seen yet, since I am experienced in researching on "Access to HE courses" and their fees. Nevertheless, there is maybe a sort of selection to avoid that students are getting loath, and if one completed successfully, the one will usually never go back.
(Are not there also study loans which will be written off if one is doing a university degree? As I am from Germany, I am not an expert in this local type of loan.)

Best regards
Jay
Reply 8
Hi anyone else doing a learn direct Access Course well I've just enrolled into a Social Science and Health course . I'm a mature student, with two kids and working.
Reply 9
So has anyone enrolled on one of their courses? I'm looking into doing so myself, and wouldn't mind reading some opinions from those who are currently doing it.
I'm slightly worried about the amount of hours it says it's 360 hours. I'm doing one in college next year. It's 12 hours a week in the classroom and you're expected to do 20 hours a week outside of college. The online course would only work out at 7 hours a week for a year!

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you get an advanced learner loan, the cost is irrelevant, it's going to be written off once you complete your degree.

It's simply a matter of if you want to distance learn or be obligated to go into a classroom 2 days a week.
Original post by Jamiefromipswich
I'm slightly worried about the amount of hours it says it's 360 hours. I'm doing one in college next year. It's 12 hours a week in the classroom and you're expected to do 20 hours a week outside of college. The online course would only work out at 7 hours a week for a year!

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you decide to study access course with learndirect you can work at your own pace meaning the length of time to study is from 9 months up to 2 years and it's flexible for those who cannot study full time or is working
My point was that college is around 32 hours a week worth of work for around 10 months. This works out around 1000 hours. I can't see that the qualification gained for about a third of that being the same.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anybody started this course ? Could
Let
Me know how it's going ?
Reply 15
I'm doing the Humanities and Social Science Access Course with them. Started it last September with a view to finishing ready for Uni in September this year.

Had no problems whatsoever, tutors reply quickly to anything submitted and it works well for me as a single parent that has to work too. I can't afford to commit set hours in a classroom.
Did u pay for the course through a student loan ? .
Reply 17
Advanced learner loan yes, i'm a mature student
Yeah I'm thinking of doing the same thank you
I am doing the access to midwifery with them, I was able to cover it with the advanced learner loan it available for anyone on theirs first level 3 course and over 19 years old

Latest