The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
im starting AS in september.....

going to do 5 AS's (if one or two complications are sorted out). Good idea???

if i do 5 i will take chem,bio,lit,history and P.E...
Yr9:
AS: French

Yr10:
A-level: French
AS: Biology

Yr11:
AS: Biology (retake), Maths, Phys, English Lit., Philosophy, Psychology, Chinese
A-level Crit. Think.
AEA Crit. Think.

(am here at present)

Yr12:
AS: Chemistry, Music
A-level: Maths, Crit. Think (retake), Philosophy (retake)
AS or A-level depending on transfer possibilities and if I want to carry my grade over: Biology, Physics
AS depending on possibility of taking it as a private candidate: History of Art, Latin (I'd want to, but maybe too much)
A-level depending on possibility of taking it as a private candidate: English Language, Chinese (retake), Environmental Science (again, maybe too much)

Yr13:
A-level: Chemistry, Music, Further Maths, any retakes
A-level depending on possibility of taking it as a private candidate: English Language, History of Art (maybe), Latin (I'd want to, but maybe too much)
AEA: Biology, Chemistry, Physics, maybe Maths, maybe English
I did 4 AS this year (Maths, Physics, ICT, History)
I'm now going on to do 3 A2 (Maths Physics, ICT)
Was very tempted to pick up another AS while doing my 3 A2 but was told it would just be too much of a distraction from my main subjects!
6 Full ALevels = Deathwish... Can't wait tbh :biggrin:

And probably AEAs in Bio, Chem and Geog
i have one already :biggrin:
hopefully 5 more...so 6 in total :smile:
well...this will be lots of fun... :rolleyes:
Year 11: AS Science For Public Understanding
Year 12: A2 Maths + AS Economics, History, French, English Lit, Critical Thinking
Year 13: A2 Further Maths, Economics, History & French + AEA Maths, Economics & History

So: 8AS --> 5A2
Reply 26
Year 12 - Maths, Classics, ICT, Physics, General
Year 13 - Maths, Classics, ICT, Physics, Further Maths (AS)

Not sure theyll let me take the further maths though //hmmmm//
Reply 27
Done maths a-level.

Next year: Further Maths a-level
Physics A2
Why are so many of you doing four or more full A levels? Oxbridge only requires three and you are diluting you efforts and chances of getting A grades (and, especially, top A grades over 90% UMS which really matter to Cambridge - quality is much more useful than quantity). Are your schools advising you to do this, or is it your own decision?

Or are you your school's resident genius (who could realistically expect to get away with it)?

Most private schools only allow four A2s if you are doing further maths, a language you are fluent in and speak at home or are the school genius.
Reply 29
4 A2s - Maths, further maths, physics, chemistry
1 AS - computing
6 A2s
2 AEAs - Maths and Economics
Good bloke

Most private schools only allow four A2s if you are doing further maths, a language you are fluent in and speak at home or are the school genius.

My school (a Grammar) encourages people to only take 3A2s. 4A2s are allowed if they think you can handle it, but it's generally discouraged. I've never heard of anyone do more than that.
People regularly get into Oxbridge & other top unis, so I doesn't seem to have put them at a disadvantage. Hmm.

For me:
Year 11 - German AS
Year 12 - Maths, Fine Art, Psychology, German A2, Critical Thinking
Year 13 - Maths, Fine Art, Psychology
+ hopefully AEAs in Maths & Psychology, if my school let me. (:rolleyes:)
I'm doing like 7 A levels and 1 AS
year 11
AS English Language and Literature (A), German(A), Physics(A), Chemistry(A), Mathematics(A)
A2 Spanish (A)
year 12
AS Thinking Skills (A)
A2 Mathematics, Further Mathematics, German, Physics, Chemistry, Thinking skills.
AEA Mathematics and maybe STEPs

that'll leave me with A level
Mathematics,
Further Mathematics,
German,
Physics,
Chemistry,
Thinking skills
Spanish

and an AS in English Language and Literature any1 think i should do any more? :biggrin: just joking
Reply 33
I'll have 3AS - Computing, Critical thinking & Statistics

and 4A2s - Maths, Further Maths, Physics and general studies
Reply 34
AS - 6
Maths
Physics
Geography
Economics
Possibly taking up Further Maths this year (S1 this year, D2/FP1 next year etc.)
General Studies
Plan for A2 - 4
Maths
Physics
Economics or Geography
General Studies
I'm doing ASs in Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Economics and General Studies.

Next year, I'll be doing A2s in Biology Chemistry and Maths, possibly General Studies too. And I want to do AS Further Maths too-doing M1 as extra this year, and possibly M2 or D1 next year in same lessons. Then I might do FP1, either self-teaching it or going to the FP1 Further Maths lessons.

Possibly an AEA too...Biology or Chemistry, if any. Maybe Maths, depending on how comfortable I am with it.
Reply 36
Doing 5: Further maths, physics, chemistry, and philosophy at AS, will probably drop philosophy at A2.
I'm doing 4 real ones, and I should've probably done 5 or 6 with chemistry (and biology). But only doing 4 gives me plenty of free time outside of school to relax as I'm very lazy and being out of my house for too long makes me tired quickly. Also, it allows me to concentrate strongly on maths which is what I'll be applying for. I don't intend to drop any for A2, and I may take on chemistry or additional further maths (or just some additional modules for fun).
I took 4 AS's and carried all 4 to A2. I intended to drop one but I did better than I expected at AS so I thought I'd aim high and try for AAAA. (Fast forward to results day where I get BBBB :P:
It's complicated for me - I've done them sporadically across a few years.

By next summer, I'll have four A-levels and two AS-levels (the largest number of subjects I've ever taken at a time is four). I find it quite surreal that people seem to be doing loads in one go - no-one in my school took more than four subjects at A2.

Latest