Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Wallowing in the depths of my boredom, i have come across a rather amusing optical trick which i feel simply must be disclosed to the general public, such is its importance regarding current world events.

Take an elastic band and cut it making a single strand. Take one end of the strand in your teeth and, facing your computer screen, hold the other end taught in such a way as to create a low frequency noise when it is struck as you would strike a guitar string. Focus your eyes on the elastic band (with the computer screen as a background) and pluck the band with your free hand. Appreciate how where the computer screen is behind the band it appears to contort slowly and rhythmically. Adjust the band's tightness (for want of a better word) to alter its frequency of contorsion.

Wow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ]{ingnik)
    Wallowing in the depths of my boredom, i have come across a rather amusing optical trick which i feel simply must be disclosed to the general public, such is its importance regarding current world events.

Take an elastic band and cut it making a single strand. Take one end of the strand in your teeth and, facing your computer screen, hold the other end taught in such a way as to create a low frequency noise when it is struck as you would strike a guitar string. Focus your eyes on the elastic band (with the computer screen as a background) and pluck the band with your free hand. Appreciate how where the computer screen is behind the band it appears to contort slowly and rhythmically. Adjust the band's tightness (for want of a better word) to alter its frequency of contorsion.

Wow.
    my god, nik, how interesting! have some rep!

ReputationRep:
    I dont have an elastic band

ReputationRep:
    i would try, but i'm at work, so the people here would think i'm weird...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mockel)
    i would try, but i'm at work, so the people here would think i'm weird...
    Im at work too but i tried it anyway, couldnt get it to work tho

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cossack)
    Im at work too but i tried it anyway, couldnt get it to work tho
    try making it looser. thats looser as in loose-er, not loser

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ]{ingnik)
    try making it looser. thats looser as in loose-er, not loser
    hehe, "try making it, loser!"

ReputationRep:
    Here's some interesting illusions for you:

Here and here.

Also, try this if you're sitting down. Start making clockwise circles with your right leg. Then draw a six in the air with your right hand. What happens?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 85ah11)
    Here's some interesting illusions for you:

Here and here.

Also, try this if you're sitting down. Start making clockwise circles with your right leg. Then draw a six in the air with your right hand. What happens?
    the picturere is freky :eek:

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.