Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    If your having trouble with shaving then check out this guys videos on Youtube (mantic59). This guy is a shaving guru and breaks down the art of the traditional wet shave to a science. Being black, I could NEVER (I repeat NEVER) use all those fancy multi-bladed razors (Gillette, Mach 3 etc.). They all work by the first blade pulling the hair out of place and the next blade(s) cutting the hair. Sure, you get a close shave, but it cuts the hair below the skin level and for anyone with curly hair it means that when it grows back, it can coil underneath the skin (hence shaving bumps). What you need is a good safety razor (cut-throat razors are good also as someone else posted, but the maintenace of those things is a bit much plus it's a bit too risky for me to try lol), shaving cream (NOT those ones that come from pressurized cans) and a shaving brush. Check the link below for more info (I've favourited all this guys vidoes, he's like the dad I never had when it comes to shaving

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjhIy9rgWQU

ReputationRep:
    Over the past few years, I have alternated between a Gilette Mach 3 Turbo, a Gilette M3 Turbo and a Gilette Fusion...and they have all been good!

ReputationRep:
    Safety razor, a good merkur (sp?) will be the last one you buy.

perfronally I'd go for the good old cut throat razor but the problem with them is they are pretty dangerous and you have to really take your time with them!!

other than that the Wilkinson sword quatro is good,

if you want to try the Gillette fusion I'd strongly recommend it because its a comfortable shave and you don't feel the blades on your face and requires minimal effort.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Syres4me)
    If your having trouble with shaving then check out this guys videos on Youtube (mantic59). This guy is a shaving guru and breaks down the art of the traditional wet shave to a science. Being black, I could NEVER (I repeat NEVER) use all those fancy multi-bladed razors (Gillette, Mach 3 etc.). They all work by the first blade pulling the hair out of place and the next blade(s) cutting the hair. Sure, you get a close shave, but it cuts the hair below the skin level and for anyone with curly hair it means that when it grows back, it can coil underneath the skin (hence shaving bumps). What you need is a good safety razor (cut-throat razors are good also as someone else posted, but the maintenace of those things is a bit much plus it's a bit too risky for me to try lol), shaving cream (NOT those ones that come from pressurized cans) and a shaving brush. Check the link below for more info (I've favourited all this guys vidoes, he's like the dad I never had when it comes to shaving

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjhIy9rgWQU

Thats a bit excessive. Shaving is a chore and whilst that MIGHT make it mroei nteresting its still an amazing hassle.

According to reviews I have read those old school razors don't give any better of a shave than a Mach 3. So prob not worth the hassle iMO.

ReputationRep:
    I have a Mach3, MAch3 Turbo and Quatto titanium, and they are all pretty similar - you may as well just get a standard M3 as the blades are cheapest. (that is assuming you are looking for a basic safety razor not some niche pricey thing)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clubber Lang)
    Thats a bit excessive. Shaving is a chore and whilst that MIGHT make it mroei nteresting its still an amazing hassle.

According to reviews I have read those old school razors don't give any better of a shave than a Mach 3. So prob not worth the hassle iMO.
    Well, isn't that the point? That shaving SHOULDN'T be a chore? You aim to look good in the end, so why shouldn't you enjoy getting there?

ReputationRep:
    I got the Fusion in the end, I can't wait to try it ;D.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Clubber Lang]Grow a pair mate!

If I am shaving a little bit (i.e everyday) I just shave with plain water - works fine.
    QUOTE]

well there in lies our difference. I shave coarse stubble twice a day, and thus oil + bowl/brush makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clubber Lang)

That maybe true (haven't researched it) but after the initial outlay for the safety razor the blades cost next to nothing (£2 for 10 razor sharp Japanese blades)
    I bought the Superdrug 5 blade razor and although it's good it just doesn't compare to the shave from a safety razor.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.executive-shaving.co.uk/s...y-razor-41.php

LIKE A BOSS!

But seriously, yeah. No rip off on blades, and frankly just a good idea if you can be arsed to traditionally wet shave.

Oh well, I've been roundly beaten to it. I'd just say go for whatever gives you the cheapest blades now.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.