Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was just reading through Loftx's personal statement stuff and saw that he did Young Enterprise. Was just wondering who else did it, what your company made etc. I was joint Managing Director of ours - called Monkfish, we designed and made locker mirrors, and reached the National Finals! What an experience...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by onlywee)
    I was just reading through Loftx's personal statement stuff and saw that he did Young Enterprise. Was just wondering who else did it, what your company made etc. I was joint Managing Director of ours - called Monkfish, we designed and made locker mirrors, and reached the National Finals! What an experience...
    LOL just thinking back to it makes me cringe. We spent half our time messing around, by the end half the people had dropped out. I joined 4 weeks later and got made MD after the other guy got bored. We nebver actually made or sold aby products in the end, but I did get a distinction in the exam

ReputationRep:
    Well done!! I think we may have taken the whole thing just a little bit too seriously... It got to the point where we were all so involved and totally obsessed we were having meetings everyday, and working on it in our sleep!! The other MD in our company is a great rival of mine as well, so once we got going we kept competing with each other to take control of the company!! And just to make things better, she's got into Oxford too now...the rivalry continues...

ReputationRep:
    Well done!! I think we may have taken the whole thing just a little bit too seriously... It got to the point where we were all so involved and totally obsessed we were having meetings everyday, and working on it in our sleep!! The other MD in our company is a great rival of mine as well, so once we got going we kept competing with each other to take control of the company!! And just to make things better, she's got into Oxford too now...the rivalry continues...
    Hey you were monkfish with the mirrors??? I dunno if you remember Primary Colours from the Reading Finals? We hadn't actually made anything at all - I think our stall was next to yours and one of the blokes from our group kept going over to chat you up!!! Our company was crap really - we had a fundraising disco that made us loadsa money and we never spent it!!! In fact i think we still have £70 in the bank but nobody can be arsed to get it out (I'm not a signitory so I can't - the ignitories were crap and didn't do anything!). Oh well it was fun though!! We'd sit around every thursday after school playing UNO instead of thinking what we should make!!!

ReputationRep:
    When I say 'chat you up' I didn't mean you personally (since I don't know who you are!) but all the girls. Bless him - I think he thought he was in there with all of these girls talking to (an laughing at) him!!!

Ps I managed a credit in the exam - I didn't even use up all the time I got bored and we were told we could go when we finished so I did!!! Impressive I thought though!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chicken)
    Hey you were monkfish with the mirrors??? I dunno if you remember Primary Colours from the Reading Finals? We hadn't actually made anything at all - I think our stall was next to yours and one of the blokes from our group kept going over to chat you up!!! Our company was crap really - we had a fundraising disco that made us loadsa money and we never spent it!!! In fact i think we still have £70 in the bank but nobody can be arsed to get it out (I'm not a signitory so I can't - the ignitories were crap and didn't do anything!). Oh well it was fun though!! We'd sit around every thursday after school playing UNO instead of thinking what we should make!!!
    hey! yep, monkfish with the mirrors, that was us! so what are your plans now? uni? you go out much in town?

ReputationRep:
    we got screweed out of hundreds of pounds by our ex finance director before we realised. then we spent ages trying to raise the money to pay off our debts!

ReputationRep:
    hey! yep, monkfish with the mirrors, that was us! so what are your plans now? uni? you go out much in town?
    Yep Uni to do Chemsirty (at the University of East Anglia). I do go out in town quite abit, but not all the time!!! We found this place called Po Na Na the other night - its all undersround with drapes and big leather seats and candles on the tables!!! Where abouts do you go?

ReputationRep:
    Yep Uni to do Chemsirty (at the University of East Anglia). I do go out in town quite abit, but not all the time!!! We found this place called Po Na Na the other night - its all undersround with drapes and big leather seats and candles on the tables!!! Where abouts do you go?
    po na na's a little out the way for us. we tend to go to monks (cheap) to get drunk, walkabout to dance, and old orleans/bar 38 for a posh night out! getting a bit bored of reading now...can't wait to hit new places at uni!

ReputationRep:
    po na na's a little out the way for us. we tend to go to monks (cheap) to get drunk, walkabout to dance, and old orleans/bar 38 for a posh night out! getting a bit bored of reading now...can't wait to hit new places at uni!
    Yeah we usually start in the Monks, and usually end up in the Walkabout, but I don't really like it in there - its over priced and gets too crowded for my liking. Brannigans is good on monday night cos all drinks are 2-4-1!!! MAkes it quite cheap!!!

ReputationRep:
    I was FD and assistant MD of our company. we made magazines, but I seemed to be the only 1 to care, still made a coupla hundred quid and can put it down on my UCAS. half my group quit, and we had to pull out of the comp as weren't ready on time.

Phil

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PHIL)
    I was FD and assistant MD of our company. we made magazines, but I seemed to be the only 1 to care, still made a coupla hundred quid and can put it down on my UCAS. half my group quit, and we had to pull out of the comp as weren't ready on time.

Phil
    I started as deputy FD, so didn't become a signitory, then the 2 FD's did bugger all and I ended up doing all the accounts and taking money to the bank. Now I can't do anything about the money in the bank as I can't sign to get it out, so they can't blame me anymore (i always used to get the blame cos I never did business studies or economics so didn't do the finance sheets entirely in the right fashion, and I did actually care about it a little). Oh well, HSBC have got £70 on us!!!

ReputationRep:
    I started as deputy FD, so didn't become a signitory, then the 2 FD's did bugger all and I ended up doing all the accounts and taking money to the bank. Now I can't do anything about the money in the bank as I can't sign to get it out, so they can't blame me anymore (i always used to get the blame cos I never did business studies or economics so didn't do the finance sheets entirely in the right fashion, and I did actually care about it a little). Oh well, HSBC have got £70 on us!!!
    Can't ya get the signatories to get the money out?

Phil

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PHIL)
    Can't ya get the signatories to get the money out?

Phil
    Well it needs 2 of them, and 3 can't be arsed, the other has the cheque books and stuff. I've given up with the nagging now - when they do decide to do something I'll tell them to give the money to the school charity or something - basically I've given up!!!

ReputationRep:
    Well it needs 2 of them, and 3 can't be arsed, the other has the cheque books and stuff. I've given up with the nagging now - when they do decide to do something I'll tell them to give the money to the school charity or something - basically I've given up!!!
    I think they close all the accounts in mid august anyway, and all moneys in them goes direct to YE.

Phil

ReputationRep:
    So did anyone manage to make a profit?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loftx)
    So did anyone manage to make a profit?
    Yup £300,

Phil

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PHIL)
    Yup £300,

Phil
    Wow thats pretty good - maybe i should have taken it more seriously

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loftx)
    Wow thats pretty good - maybe i should have taken it more seriously
    Trust me for £300, we worked way too much.

Phil

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PHIL)
    Trust me for £300, we worked way too much.

Phil
    We ran a fundraising disco for years 7 to 9, made £400, paid our share holders back 20% more than they gave us, and then we seemed to spend a lot of money on bugger all (like sending 'research' letters out, and getting a website and stuff).

This was last year (as in I did it in year 12 and i've now finished year 13), so are you saying they'll be no money in the bank??? There should be about £70!!! Nast YE people, they charge us to register as a company, and then they tax us!!! They must make a ton when they take people's money out the bank!!!

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.