New math GCSE question.

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    "A company makes tiles after manufacture pairs of tiles are tested. The probability that at least one of these tiles is cracked is 0.9996. How many tiles would the company expect to be cracked in a batch of 1000?" Does anybody have any ideas on how to work this out, it's question 24 on an AQA collins mock paper so it's one of the hardest considering this paper has 25 questions. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    0.9996 x 1000 = 999.6 tiles broken

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuggetsarelife)
    0.9996 x 1000 = 999.6 tiles broken
    Thank-you! Does this still apply since the tests were on a pair of tiles and the 0.996 was the probability that at least one of the tiles was cracked?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jasmine_GCSE)
    Thank-you! Does this still apply since the tests were on a pair of tiles and the 0.996 was the probability that at least one of the tiles was cracked?
    I'm not sure that answer is correct. The company tests them in pairs and the chance of one of the two tiles being broken is 0.9996.

So we're working with 500 tests (since 1000 tiles divided into pairs). The chance of one of the tiles being broken in each test is 0.9996, so that would leave us with 500*0.9996 to get your answer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Macalese)
    I'm not sure that answer is correct. The company tests them in pairs and the chance of one of the two tiles being broken is 0.9996.

So we're working with 500 tests (since 1000 tiles divided into pairs). The chance of one of the tiles being broken in each test is 0.9996, so that would leave us with 500*0.9996 to get your answer.
    This is what I initially thought as well but the wording of the question made me unsure since the words at least were in bold in accordance to "The probability that at least one of these pairs is cracked is 0.9996"

ReputationRep:
    This is what I initially thought as well but the wording of the question made me unsure since the words at least were in bold in accordance to "The probability that at least one of these pairs is cracked is 0.9996"
    Does the question say "The probability that at least one of these pairs is cracked is 0.9996" or does it say "The probability that at least one of these tiles is cracked is 0.9996."? Your info in your original post is different to what you've said there!

ReputationRep:
    Does the question say "The probability that at least one of these pairs is cracked is 0.9996" or does it say "The probability that at least one of these tiles is cracked is 0.9996."? Your info in your original post is different to what you've said there!
    Sorry for the confusion! The exact wording of the questions is "A company makes tiles. After manufacture pairs of tiles are tested. The probability that at least one of these pairs is cracked is 0.9996. How many tiles would the company expect to be cracked in a batch of 1000?"

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for the confusion! The exact wording of the questions is "A company makes tiles. After manufacture pairs of tiles are tested. The probability that at least one of these pairs is cracked is 0.9996. How many tiles would the company expect to be cracked in a batch of 1000?"
    That is such an awfully worded question.

I assume "The probability that at least one of these pairs is cracked is 0.9996" means one tile in each pair? If so you've got 500 pairs in the batch of 1000, the chance one of these is cracked is 0.9996 so 500*0.9996=499.8. So you're expecting at least 500 cracked tiles?

It might take someone with better English than me to solve that riddle.

ReputationRep:
    That is such an awfully worded question.

I assume "The probability that at least one of these pairs is cracked is 0.9996" means one tile in each pair? If so you've got 500 pairs in the batch of 1000, the chance one of these is cracked is 0.9996 so 500*0.9996=499.8. So you're expecting at least 500 cracked tiles?

It might take someone with better English than me to solve that riddle.
    I know! The wording on all of the new GCSE math questions is very confusing! Thankyou for your help, I have worked it out as 499.8 as well so I will just stick with that. I expect the teacher will go over it in class so I can check then. Thanks a lot!

ReputationRep:
    I know! The wording on all of the new GCSE math questions is very confusing! Thankyou for your help, I have worked it out as 499.8 as well so I will just stick with that. I expect the teacher will go over it in class so I can check then. Thanks a lot!
    The probability that either of them in the pair is cracked = 0.9996 (1)
    => the probability that none of them in the pair is cracked = 1 - 0.9996 = 0.0004 (2)
    => the probability that any one tile is not cracked = sqrt(0.0004) = 0.02 (3)

Equation 1 is given in the question. Equation 2 is found because of how NOT A AND NOT B is the inverse of A OR B. Equation 3 is found based on the rule that the P (A AND B) = P(A) * P(B). So therefore P(Both not cracked) = P(any one not cracked) * P (any one not cracked). P(any one not cracked) = sqrt(P(Both not cracked)

=> Expected number of tiles not cracked = 0.02 * 1000 = 20
    => Expected tiles cracked = 1000 - 20 = 980.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BobBobson)
    The probability that either of them in the pair is cracked = 0.9996 (1)
    => the probability that none of them in the pair is cracked = 1 - 0.9996 = 0.0004 (2)
    => the probability that any one tile is not cracked = sqrt(0.0004) = 0.02 (3)

Equation 1 is given in the question. Equation 2 is found because of how NOT A AND NOT B is the inverse of A OR B. Equation 3 is found based on the rule that the P (A AND B) = P(A) * P(B). So therefore P(Both not cracked) = P(any one not cracked) * P (any one not cracked). P(any one not cracked) = sqrt(P(Both not cracked)

=> Expected number of tiles not cracked = 0.02 * 1000 = 20
    => Expected tiles cracked = 1000 - 20 = 980.
    Wow thanks this is very helpful!!!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 15, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.