Looking for tips to get a part time job

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    Since it's almost Christmas time (may as well be because of all the Christmas items that are being sold in shops), I've been trying to look for a part time job in the town that I live in. The only difficulty is that not many people seem to be looking for workers or I'm too young and they won't bother to give me a chance .m.

Being born in the year 2000 is great and all, but the difficulty I'm facing right now is because of my birthday since I won't turn sixteen until December. Not only that, but I'm still lacking my National Insurance number, despite receiving a letter to register to vote.

I was simply wondering if anyone has any advice on how to get a part time job? Or tips to get one for as soon as I turn sixteen. I have approached several shops and emailed some shops as well, but with no positive response.

Thank you very much for reading this/helping out!

ReputationRep:
    Almost all employers won't hire someone under the age of 16 because of the many legal issues involve din hiring someone legally considered a "child". The best way to go about finding work in this situation is to utilize all of your family friends and contacts to see if they have any casual work for you either at small businesses or private work in their homes (cleaning, babysitting, gardening etc)

Maybe you could do some volunteer work at your school or local community center so that when you do start applying for jobs and 16 you will have some experience to show employers and to have something to talk about at interviews.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Agust)
    Since it's almost Christmas time (may as well be because of all the Christmas items that are being sold in shops), I've been trying to look for a part time job in the town that I live in. The only difficulty is that not many people seem to be looking for workers or I'm too young and they won't bother to give me a chance .m.

Being born in the year 2000 is great and all, but the difficulty I'm facing right now is because of my birthday since I won't turn sixteen until December. Not only that, but I'm still lacking my National Insurance number, despite receiving a letter to register to vote.

I was simply wondering if anyone has any advice on how to get a part time job? Or tips to get one for as soon as I turn sixteen. I have approached several shops and emailed some shops as well, but with no positive response.

Thank you very much for reading this/helping out!
    Most places wont take you on until you are 16 and have a national insurance number. A lot of places also wont take you on until you have finished year 11 as well (the end of june time). You could try a paper round though. Either that or o some volunteer somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    Turn 18 first

ReputationRep:
    Try small cafes and small business as they might be more lenient

Posted from TSR Mobile

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 17, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Wake up and smell the...

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.