The Student Room Group

Perfusionist Course with NESCOT query?

Hi
I am currently studying in my final year in BsC Hons Biomedical Science accredited. I have been doing my research on graduate study in becoming a perfusionist. I have read a few other threads regarding how to go about furthering my decision.

Many have said that it is required to do a course with NESCOT and people said however I must become a trainee perfusionist in the NHS before being able to apply.

Knowing this I look at the course structure provided by NESCOT. Here is my problem: The structure is split to (Postgrad) PG certificate, PG Diploma, and (Masters) MsC perfusionist. I can leave at any time but the PGcert takes 1 year, PGdip takes 2 years, and the MsC takes minimum of additional 4 years.

What are the differences between the 3 postgraduate studies and what is the most beneficial/important
Original post by Chungd
Hi
I am currently studying in my final year in BsC Hons Biomedical Science accredited. I have been doing my research on graduate study in becoming a perfusionist. I have read a few other threads regarding how to go about furthering my decision.

Many have said that it is required to do a course with NESCOT and people said however I must become a trainee perfusionist in the NHS before being able to apply.

Knowing this I look at the course structure provided by NESCOT. Here is my problem: The structure is split to (Postgrad) PG certificate, PG Diploma, and (Masters) MsC perfusionist. I can leave at any time but the PGcert takes 1 year, PGdip takes 2 years, and the MsC takes minimum of additional 4 years.

What are the differences between the 3 postgraduate studies and what is the most beneficial/important

Clinical perfusionists are employed in trainee roles and enrolled on the clinical perfusion course at NESCOT as part of being a trainee, it's not like doing an undergrad degree where uni is all you do, you're given study time as part of your role in the NHS to go to study. There's more information from The Society Of Clinical Perfusionists here: http://www.scps.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=55&Itemid=58
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by moonkatt
Clinical perfusionists are employed in trainee roles and enrolled on the clinical perfusion course at NESCOT as part of being a trainee, it's not like doing an undergrad degree where uni is all you do, you're given study time as part of your role in the NHS to go to study. There's more information from The Society Of Clinical Perfusionists here: http://www.scps.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=55&Itemid=58

I see however it doesn't really answer what I am asking. I know I will have to be working and then be enrolled and while working they will give me time to study. However, are you saying that they will decide which qualification I should be studying for?

I still need to know the key deference between the certificate, diploma, and masters other than time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending