Can someone please give me a rough idea how much insurance will cost?

Announcements Posted on
Calling all anime fans! Don't miss the midnight Secret Santa deadline! 04-12-2016
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Hello guys,

I'm currently 16 but in 6 months time i will be buying my first car! The car i will probably end up getting is either:

BMW 3 Series 2.0 320d SE 2dr
    BMW 3 SERIES 320I SE 2.0 2dr

I want either because if i have the money why not?

Can someone please just let me know how much insurance will cost roughly? I will be 17 (obviously)

Thanks a lot guys

ReputationRep:
    Why not just go on an insurance site to find out?
    You haven't given nearly eno ugh information anyway

But make sure that you're sitting down when you do

ReputationRep:
    Why would you get a BMW 3 series as your first car? Unless you're an incredibly rich 17 year old and you have thousands to blow away that's a stupid idea

ReputationRep:
    You're looking at £2500 and upwards at the very least. Most insurers would not even give you a quote. 17 year old with a 2.0 BMW spells trouble for them. Go on compare the market and look though.

How do you have the money to buy yourself a car that costs thousands of pounds?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meepyy)
    Hello guys,

I'm currently 16 but in 6 months time i will be buying my first car! The car i will probably end up getting is either:

Can someone please just let me know how much insurance will cost roughly? I will be 17 (obviously)

Thanks a lot guys
    You are asking the wrong people. We wont know how much it will cost as it varies enormously from person to person. It also depends on a lot of other factors, such as who you are, where you live, the car, any named drivers (and their driving history), where you keep the car- both during the day and at night (e.g. on the drive, at work, in the garage) etc etc etc
    Get a quote and find out.
    Id sit down first though. Quotes for normal 17 year olds are stupid anyway. But with a BMW it will be even worse. Quite a few insurers would not even give you a quote. 17 year old with a 2.0 BMW spells trouble for them. If they do give you a quote it wont be anything below £5000 i bet.

ReputationRep:
    When I first passed my test I was getting quotes of 1800-3000 for either a bug or a mini.. and I was 17 and a female. A BMW will be so much more. I have a mini now (owned by BMW) nad paid £800 for three people on business insurance after i'd had my licence for two years

ReputationRep:
    I got a 2 litre focus and i pay around 2500 a year with a blackbox. I was looking at a 3 series and i was being quoted around 10k and upwards. Im 17 too

And on top of that you got the cost of actually passing your test, taxing the car and fuel.

Hello guys,

Thanks a lot guys
    USE A CAR INSURANCE SITE

Why would a group if students know the going insurance rates for a 17 year old.

It just seems very attention seeking tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Probably more than the cost of a new car lol

ReputationRep:
    A 17 year old with a 3 series BMW :rofl:

Just get a Corsa like everyone else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    USE A CAR INSURANCE SITE

Why would a group if students know the going insurance rates for a 17 year old.

It just seems very attention seeking tbh.
    "hey guys im 17 and i can afford a bmw 3 series"

:rofl:

ReputationRep:
    if you can afford a bmw at your age.. then you should afford the insurance lol, it will be around 5000£ probably, with a black box

(Original post by Treeroy)
    You're looking at £2500 and upwards at the very least. Most insurers would not even give you a quote. 17 year old with a 2.0 BMW spells trouble for them. Go on compare the market and look though.

How do you have the money to buy yourself a car that costs thousands of pounds?
    Dont all new cars cost at least a few thousand? I know people sometimes get used cars quite cheap, but thats one hell of a gamble.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laomedeia)
    Dont all new cars cost at least a few thousand? I know people sometimes get used cars quite cheap, but thats one hell of a gamble.
    It's not "one hell of a gamble", you look at and assess whether the car has any issues and you research whether there's any known faults that might occur. You should never ever buy a new car (especially not for your first car), they depreciate as soon as you sign the contract. The max you should spend on your shitbox is £1500.

ReputationRep:
    I dont see why everyone is getting salty,

my uncle told me he will sell me his old BMW 520d for less then £5K (probs around 3-4). I can afford that easily but insurance will be the issue

ReputationRep:
    It isn't that people don't argue about the car choice/value, (at least in my case)
    Loads of people that I knew starting out driving had offers of cheap or free family cars but they were not suitable for a learner

The cost of insurance is varied by all sorts of conditions but mainly the cost of repairs and likelyhood of an inexperienced owner having a crash

You need to go to an insurance site to get a price

I have heard of cars valued at £1k needing a premium of £10k

A young male in a dangerous area in a powerful/expensive car is a liability to the insurance industry

ReputationRep:

my uncle told me he will sell me his old BMW 520d for less then £5K (probs around 3-4). I can afford that easily but insurance will be the issue
    I have a mini (they're owned by BMW) and when I looked when i first passed I was getting quotes of around 2k, now i've had my license for 2 years my insurance was £800, you're going to be looking at around 5k at a minimum. Have a look at go-compare or confused.com for an idea

ReputationRep:

A 2 litre car? Bahahaha, good luck even getting a quote, let alone affording it.

I could have easily gone and bought a used BMW when I passed my test, that is not the issue. To be frank, I'd judge you as being rather irresponsible.

ReputationRep:

I did a quick quote assuming a few details, and the best quote was 8k. Good luck mate. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    I got a £3,000 quote for a people carrier when I was in my twenties (clean license, too). I wouldn't be surprised if you were asked to pay several times the value of the car.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 24, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.