do people look at u at the gym

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    im 18 and I'm joining the gym first time because I want to lose weight. I'm not overweight I'm just a little flabby here and there but I cannot exercise to save my life I hate it and I run weirdly (I've been told) . I'm going mainly for the treadmill and cross trainer ...but I'm terrified

I know some guys that go to this gym and plus I'm scared other guys and girls will look at me and judge my awkward running and stuff.....

honestly it's scaring the life out of me in imagining having to run in front of guy I know (my crush) .

but I really want to lose weight so how do I get over this .... the whole gym situation of 30 muscley guys judging me is giving me anxiety rn

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieAsx)
    im 18 and I'm joining the gym first time because I want to lose weight. I'm not overweight I'm just a little flabby here and there but I cannot exercise to save my life I hate it and I run weirdly (I've been told) . I'm going mainly for the treadmill and cross trainer ...but I'm terrified

I know some guys that go to this gym and plus I'm scared other guys and girls will look at me and judge my awkward running and stuff.....

honestly it's scaring the life out of me in imagining having to run in front of guy I know (my crush) .

but I really want to lose weight so how do I get over this .... the whole gym situation of 30 muscley guys judging me is giving me anxiety rn
    bump

Losing weight is 80% diet.
    Nobody is intersted you at the gym and there are plenty of very ordinary people doing the same thing. You wont stand out.
    If you want to get into good shape then you need to look at a mix of cardio and resistance training.
    Weights help you maintain muscle and increase the % of fat loss, which is what you want.

Try starting to go at a time when its less busy, so you feel comfier.
    Take music.
    You will feel more comfy after youve been a number of times.
    People are just interested in themselves.
    Cardio machines will be away from weights i.e they could be in a different part of the gym.
    Dont worry, just make sure you keep going x times a week.

ReputationRep:
    yes people look at you, but it's like looking at someone while walking along the road. you look at them for 2 seconds and then forget about them.

Unless your running is REALLY weird then you will be fine. Make sure your running technique is good and you are not damaging your body, better to correct your running style sooner rather than later

even if you do feel people are staring at you, try and ignore it and concentrate on yourself.

if you can do that then it's a confidence booster + a workout. two birds with one stone

ReputationRep:
    If you think about it in the sense that most people in the gym are there for the same reason; to either lose weight or just be fit/toned in general.
    Easier said than done, block them out. Music helps

ReputationRep:
    I do, but I only get looked at because I'm tall and built which is eye-catching wherever you go, especially so at the gym where people tend to have more appreciation for such a build I guess. In general though, people don't pay much attention to others in the gym, too busy concentrating on what they're doing.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, when I'm practicing archery there's a glass partition between the hall we use and the gym area with the equipment. We're being watched the whole time. And you know what? When I'm busy shooting I completely forget they are there. Nor do I care they are there.

Okay so that's not quite what you wanted. But why are you going to the gym? To loose a little weigth? To get a bit more toned? Why do you think these people are going to the gym? For the same reason you are.

Mature people using a gym properly won't judge you. You're all there for the same reasons and if someone judges you then they are judging themselves by extension.

If though you really don't feel comfortable go with a friend. Or don't go to the gym at all. You mention mainly focusing on the treadmill and cross trainer, well going out running around streets is free. If that's an option go for it.

Don't worry at all about what other people think. In the event people are judging you then you should ask yourself what is more important? What other people think of you or your health and how you feel about yourself. If you crush sees you then there's just as much chance he'll be impressed that you've got motivation to stay healthy, improve yourself and so on. You may even get to talk, or he may be able to give you advice. Who knows. Either way going to the gym and sticking with it will also help your self confidence.

Odds are you've got nothing to worry about. It's natural to think that gyms are scary but realisitcally the people are often very nice.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 15, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.