What on earth is exotic derivatives trading??

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Im not going to act like 90% of people on this website and pretend im an IB genius and attempt to give of the impression that i know every tiny detail of how banking works. in fact, my knowledge basically is zero. academically im going to a target uni to study a maths heavy subject. my questions are:1) what is exotic derivatives trading2) how is it different to s&t3) how would you get into such a trade? as in starting from day 1 of uni Cheers

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    anyone?

ReputationRep:
    Like an exotic strip club, except rather than getting tits in your eyes, you're getting equations instead

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonny5263)
    Im not going to act like 90% of people on this website and pretend im an IB genius and attempt to give of the impression that i know every tiny detail of how banking works. in fact, my knowledge basically is zero. academically im going to a target uni to study a maths heavy subject. my questions are:1) what is exotic derivatives trading2) how is it different to s&t3) how would you get into such a trade? as in starting from day 1 of uni Cheers
    1. Trading an exotic derivative product
    2. It's in S&T
    3. Network when on the trading floor
    4. Get on the ib pipeline of spring week > summer > grad

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    1. Trading an exotic derivative product
    2. It's in S&T
    3. Network when on the trading floor
    4. Get on the ib pipeline of spring week > summer > grad

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Cheers for your reply, how maths heavy is the job? As in does an exotic derivatives trader use lots of maths in their day to day life, or is it all done by computers?

ReputationRep:
    Cheers for your reply, how maths heavy is the job? As in does an exotic derivatives trader use lots of maths in their day to day life, or is it all done by computers?
    You'll be working with various non-trivial models and will be using general numeracy when buying/selling/bargaining with counterparts. If you want a maths heavy job, become a quant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    You'll be working with various non-trivial models and will be using general numeracy when buying/selling/bargaining with counterparts. If you want a maths heavy job, become a quant
    Don't you need a PhD for that

ReputationRep:
    Don't you need a PhD for that
    Need is a strong word, a high achievement within an integrated Masters or standalone masters would suffice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    its defo more maths based than if you are in cash equities but yeah not quant level

ReputationRep:
    you just insulted my knowledge of knowing every tiny detail of ib

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gr8wizard10)
    you just insulted my knowledge of knowing every tiny detail of ib
    Also #triggered

Posted from TSR Mobile

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 16, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.