Question mainly aimed at university students

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Would you invest in a subscription for a pack containing university essentials.

First pack for £9.99:
    Toilet paper
    Toilet cleaner/disposable cleaner
    Air fresheners
    Shampoo/body wash?
    Bleach
    Cling film?
    Bin bags
    Toothpaste?
    Washing up liquids/powders
    Bottled water?

Pack for him (unsure on price yet):
    Condoms
    Deodorants
    Razors
    Vitamins?
    etc
    etc

You get the idea...

You choose when you want to do the subscription (every week, two weeks or every month). Money will be withdrawn from your account that day and the products (depending on the package you've chosen) will be packaged and delivered to your door that day.

Make it clearer for you: say I chose the first pack and the day being Monday is when I bought the pack, and I choose every 2 weeks. So every 2 weeks on a Monday £9.99 will be withdrawn from my account and the whole pack will be delivered to me packaged.. and this would happen every 2 weeks unless I cancel the subscription.

You can also choose whether to add and remove certain items from your uni essential pack(s) each week.

Would YOU being students invest in such a subscription?

I need a rough idea, input would be greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nativejames)
    Would you invest in a subscription for a pack containing university essentials.

First pack for £9.99:
    Toilet paper
    Toilet cleaner/disposable cleaner
    Air fresheners
    Shampoo/body wash?
    Bleach
    Cling film?
    Bin bags
    Toothpaste?
    Washing up liquids/powders
    Bottled water?

Pack for him (unsure on price yet):
    Condoms
    Deodorants
    Razors
    Vitamins?
    etc
    etc

You get the idea...

You choose when you want to do the subscription (every week, two weeks or every month). Money will be withdrawn from your account that day and the products (depending on the package you've chosen) will be packaged and delivered to your door that day.

Make it clearer for you: say I chose the first pack and the day being Monday is when I bought the pack, and I choose every 2 weeks. So every 2 weeks on a Monday £9.99 will be withdrawn from my account and the whole pack will be delivered to me packaged.. and this would happen every 2 weeks unless I cancel the subscription.

You can also choose whether to add and remove certain items from your uni essential pack(s) each week.

Would YOU being students invest in such a subscription?

I need a rough idea, input would be greatly appreciated.
    It depends... trouble with these subscription packs is that I, and I presume most people, use items at different rates... For example, I would need condoms delivered more frequently than deodorant... I buy clingfilm less than toilet paper... If you can get good bundles which would need replenishing at similar times, then it could work.

Alternatively, what about just having it so you can make your own bundles? But for each extra bundle you save 10% or something?

So, if I want 5 items that cost £9.99 every 2 weeks, and then 3 items that would cost £6.99 every 4 weeks, as I'm getting 2 bundles, I get 10% off the second bundle? Something like that so I feel I have more freedom about when I get things delivered... Otherwise you're just going to lose out to people like Amazon where I can get discounts for having over 5 items on subscribe and save, delivered in different frequencies for each item...

ReputationRep:
    Basically you have to undercut the supermarkets..... also as the poster above posted, think on what you can offer at a reasonable price and also is required relatively at the same rate.

I've seen people do one off packs which have a mixed reception, especially seeing uni's already often give mini packs away for free.... or companies trying to advertise to students. I got half that stuff for free during the freshers fair alone (especially the stuff in the mens pack)!

Good idea though, just need to work out the specifics, just you need to make it different and more worthwhile than simply ordering it all with your groceries once every two weeks though.

ReputationRep:
    You're trying to offer too much there for £10 - I don't believe you'd be able to source the products cheaply enough to make a profit on a £10 price tag.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't invest in something like that merely because, as mentioned above, I use different items at different rates. Much easier to just do your own shopping and perhaps find it much cheaper as well while at it.

ReputationRep:
    What's the "Pack for him" all about? All of those essentials are relevant to women too.

And no, I wouldn't subscribe to that kind of service, as you'll constantly want to maintain your margin, which might involve you sending brands that I don't like. I'd rather buy my own preferred brands, from a repertoire of favourites, according to whatever promotions are active.

ReputationRep:
    Weirdly enough these packs may be better aimed at either parents or student unions/societies to give to students as goody bags, rather than the students themselves.

ReputationRep:
    hmm for £10 they're probably going to give you the cheap stuff

not being snobbish but i have a certain type of shampoo, toothpaste, bleach and loo roll that I can only use so I don't mind paying slightly extra for it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Allie4)
    hmm for £10 they're probably going to give you the cheap stuff

not being snobbish but i have a certain type of shampoo, toothpaste, bleach and loo roll that I can only use so I don't mind paying slightly extra for it
    Nah, it's not being snobbish, I think you've hit the nail on the head... People like what they get, and they get it because they think it's worth it... I wouldn't get cheap razors or shampoo or loo roll.... nothing wrong with that!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 17, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.