Best acoustic guitar for beginners + self teachers?

Announcements Posted on

So I've wanted to learn the guitar for a while now, because I love to sing. I remember buying a crap guitar when I was about 13 and never really took it seriously.

I've read some advice online about how the strings should be close to the board etc but I'm really struggling to form an opinion on how to choose the best guitar. I don't even know where to start! I don't want anything too expensive since it'll be my first.

Hope you guys can help.

p.s. I'm LEFT HANDED

ReputationRep:
    I'm a guitarist of over 10 years
    literally - your taste in guitars will grow in time, it doesn't matter at this stage - all you want is something that functions
    just get a cheap (left handed!) yamaha full size guitar (not a classical) - it's harder to play, but honestly, you'll want to play with steel strings sooner than later because being accustomed to nylon strings (on a classical) isn't good for you if you actually want to play a good sounding guitar at some stage. calluses are to be *completely* expected. that's what makes you better. if you feel basic steel string are hard, try ****ing 12 string guitars, or basses :lol: they're far worse imo
    I would say you don't need a teacher - just get an ear for the instrument and the notes and eventually you'll work your way up

for me, I'd say the most basic thing you need to know is the tuning of the guitar (which is tricky for a beginner to get the hang of) i.e. the open note of each string. next thing is learning very elementary chords - I myself only need a few chords even as a 10 year+ guitarist: A, A minor, maybe A7, B7, C, C7, D, D minor, D7, E, E minor, "the wanderwall E", F, G and that's basically it. everything else from there is either a major powerchord, a minor power chord, or a 7 powerchord. by powerchord, I mean this (you can use that pattern and literally use it anywhere on the neck so long as you're begining from the first two thick strings):
    Spoiler:
    Show
    also, hammer-ons and pull offs are going to be needed in your arsenal as they're pretty universal for guitar music
    and then I guess from there, just master picking itself (up-down, down-down, etc) both in terms of chords and scales
    look up a major scale, for instance, and instead of playing the notes one after another, play 2, then go back 1, then the next 2, etc - it makes you a better player with your neck hand (your right hand, as you're left handed).

ultimately, getting good at guitar takes years. so don't get disappointed - listen to your favourite rock~ songs and you'll get the drive to keep playing. look up tabs if you want to learn a song, but eventually you're going to want to become indepdnent of tabs and you'll want to develop your ear for guitar music. some bands are great for learning next chords (or essentially the chords I've given already) - for instance, a lot of beatles songs were great for me. "you're gonna lose that girl", "yes it is", "this boy", etc.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Barbie-Jam-W...MAAOSw-YVXnrVD

(Original post by sleepysnooze)
    I'm a guitarist of over 10 years
    literally - your taste in guitars will grow in time, it doesn't matter at this stage - all you want is something that functions
    just get a cheap (left handed!) yamaha full size guitar (not a classical) - it's harder to play, but honestly, you'll want to play with steel strings sooner than later because being accustomed to nylon strings (on a classical) isn't good for you if you actually want to play a good sounding guitar at some stage. calluses are to be *completely* expected. that's what makes you better. if you feel basic steel string are hard, try ****ing 12 string guitars, or basses :lol: they're far worse imo
    I would say you don't need a teacher - just get an ear for the instrument and the notes and eventually you'll work your way up

for me, I'd say the most basic thing you need to know is the tuning of the guitar (which is tricky for a beginner to get the hang of) i.e. the open note of each string. next thing is learning very elementary chords - I myself only need a few chords even as a 10 year+ guitarist: A, A minor, maybe A7, B7, C, C7, D, D minor, D7, E, E minor, "the wanderwall E", F, G and that's basically it. everything else from there is either a major powerchord, a minor power chord, or a 7 powerchord. by powerchord, I mean this (you can use that pattern and literally use it anywhere on the neck so long as you're begining from the first two thick strings):
    Spoiler:
    Show
    also, hammer-ons and pull offs are going to be needed in your arsenal as they're pretty universal for guitar music
    and then I guess from there, just master picking itself (up-down, down-down, etc) both in terms of chords and scales
    look up a major scale, for instance, and instead of playing the notes one after another, play 2, then go back 1, then the next 2, etc - it makes you a better player with your neck hand (your right hand, as you're left handed).

ultimately, getting good at guitar takes years. so don't get disappointed - listen to your favourite rock~ songs and you'll get the drive to keep playing. look up tabs if you want to learn a song, but eventually you're going to want to become indepdnent of tabs and you'll want to develop your ear for guitar music. some bands are great for learning next chords (or essentially the chords I've given already) - for instance, a lot of beatles songs were great for me. "you're gonna lose that girl", "yes it is", "this boy", etc.
    Thank you SO much for such a detailed response. This is the guitar I went to go and try at my local guitar store: http://www.kennysmusic.co.uk/freshma...c-guitar-black is there anything from the description that would make you believe it's not a good beginners acoustic guitar?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captivated)
    Thank you SO much for such a detailed response. This is the guitar I went to go and try at my local guitar store: http://www.kennysmusic.co.uk/freshma...c-guitar-black is there anything from the description that would make you believe it's not a good beginners acoustic guitar?
    it's a fine guitar for a beginner, absolutely
    I guess it doesn't really matter but if you like the sound of mahogany guitars then this would be a good choice. mahogany guitars from my experience though sound a bit dull (I prefer maple) - like I said though, it's not going to matter too much - just get a full size (left handed) guitar and start getting used to playing it. you probably won't even be able ot pick up on the difference between the wood sounds if you're brand new too.

(Original post by sleepysnooze)
    it's a fine guitar for a beginner, absolutely
    I guess it doesn't really matter but if you like the sound of mahogany guitars then this would be a good choice. mahogany guitars from my experience though sound a bit dull (I prefer maple) - like I said though, it's not going to matter too much - just get a full size (left handed) guitar and start getting used to playing it. you probably won't even be able ot pick up on the difference between the wood sounds if you're brand new too.
    You've been of great help - honestly thanks so much. I went to the guitar store and for some reason, holding a left handed guitar felt so uncomfortable. I wasn't expecting this at all. The body felt like it was 'in the way' but the rest of it felt good e.g. having my right hand in charge of the chords. But because of the body situation, I had to end up purchasing a right handed guitar. At the moment it seems pretty good, better than expected. So I'll see how that goes

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 2, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.