The Student Room Group

Courses like Medsim?

Just wondering if there is anything similar to it as ive heard of a few.
hellooooo
I wouldn't waste your money going to one, they don't help your application at all. If you want to then you can apply for the free ones, for example the Imperial ICSMU conference or the St Georges taster course
Original post by HopelessMedic
I wouldn't waste your money going to one, they don't help your application at all. If you want to then you can apply for the free ones, for example the Imperial ICSMU conference or the St Georges taster course

thanks for the advice :smile: but why dont they help?
Original post by hello654321
thanks for the advice :smile: but why dont they help?

You wont gain anything from them that you can use for your personal statement and they don't give you anymore info that you can find on the internet. Plus they are always very expensive
They're not very useful and quite expensive - med schools are far more interested in how you reflect on your work experience.
Original post by hello654321
Just wondering if there is anything similar to it as ive heard of a few.

I went to Medsim this year and it wasn't worth the money. There was a short talk on preparing for medical interviews which I found reasonably helpful and on MMIs (although I probably won't be doing one myself). The rest of it was just talks on certain bits of medicine e.g. radiology with the tiniest bit of practical work e.g. fake appendectomy.
However it was quite nice meeting other people who were also applying to medicine as you could talk with them about work experience etc.
I don't think I will put any of it on my personal statement so I wouldn't really recommend it or similar courses. You can try to focus on getting work experience/volunteering which is much more useful for your application.
Original post by pixiefuller
I went to Medsim this year and it wasn't worth the money. There was a short talk on preparing for medical interviews which I found reasonably helpful and on MMIs (although I probably won't be doing one myself). The rest of it was just talks on certain bits of medicine e.g. radiology with the tiniest bit of practical work e.g. fake appendectomy.
However it was quite nice meeting other people who were also applying to medicine as you could talk with them about work experience etc.
I don't think I will put any of it on my personal statement so I wouldn't really recommend it or similar courses. You can try to focus on getting work experience/volunteering which is much more useful for your application.

oh okay thanks for the insight, i guess I'm not going to spend my money on something like that. thanks to everyone else too

Quick Reply

Latest