Prime Minister's Questions – 15 Oct 2016

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    Order! Questions to the Prime Minister!

PMQs is an opportunity for members to put questions to the TSR Prime Minister, the Rt Hon. Life_peer MP, who will answer your questions over the course of two days.

The Leader of the Opposition, the Rt Hon. RayApparently MP, may ask two questions, with a follow-up question for each. MPs may ask one question, with one follow-up. Ordinary users may ask one question with no follow-ups. I will intervene if members do not respect these rules.

Please keep the joke questions to a minimum.

ReputationRep:
    Mr Speaker,

I might like to ask the Prime Minister whether he plans to remain as Tory Leader next term?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah uhh, we need to focus on climate change and animal devestation. Talk about that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quamquam123)
    Mr Speaker,

I might like to ask the Prime Minister whether he plans to remain as Tory Leader next term?
    Like I already said a couple of times, I don't. There's time for new enthusiastic blood. I'd like to remain an MP though.

(Original post by Kiritsugu)
    Yeah uhh, we need to focus on climate change and animal devestation. Talk about that.
    M'kay.

ReputationRep:
    Mr Speaker, as this may be the Prime Minister's last or penultimate appearance at the dispatch box before the General Election (depending on when it is called), I would like to ask him what he feels is the Government's greatest achievement this term.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, how are we going to ensure that people work together as communities in local, regional, national, international and global ways to overcome many problems that so many people face?

ReputationRep:
    Knowing the Prime Minister does not plan to remain the leader of the Conservative Party, which member in the party will he back to succeed him?

ReputationRep:
    Mr Speaker,

First, if the Prime Minister does intend to step down as party leader, I would like to congratulate him on his long, illustrious MHoC career.

Second, I would like to ask whether he is somewhat disappointed with what his government has managed to achieve this term, with low output and a defeated Finance Bill?

ReputationRep:
    My Speaker, May I just start by echoing the words of those before me in congratulating the Prime Minister on a long career in the Module House of Commons, and in overseeing a successful coalition with himself at the helm.

Now Mr Speaker to my question for the Prime Minister, at the start of this term I asked the Prime Minister if he felt this would be a Government that governed for everyone, not just the 1%, not just straight people, cis people, white people and men. Now the term has come to an end does the Prime Minister feel he has managed to lead a Government, to paraphrase President Lincoln, of the people, by the people for all the people.

And Mr Speaker if the Prime Minister does feel his Government has been one that has governed in the interest of everyone, does the Prime Minister feel able to justify that position.

ReputationRep:
    Mr Speaker,

Does the Prime Minister think that inflation will rise as a result of the decision to leave the EU?

ReputationRep:
    Mr Speaker

Does the Prime Minister believe that controlling unemployment is more important than controlling inflation, or vice versa?

ReputationRep:
    Mr Speaker,

Can he inform us ad to his retirement intentions?

ReputationRep:
    Mr Speaker, could the Minster Prime tell the house what he sees as the greatest success and failure of this government under his premiership, and similarly of his party before during his time as leader?

ReputationRep:
    Can the right honourable Prime Minister Life_peer comment on the possibility of a second Scottish independence referendum?

ReputationRep:
    Mr Speaker, I welcome the Minister Prime (why not, seeing as it's the last time ) to the dispatch box and thank him for heeding my call for a pre-election round of PMQs.

I suspect the PM would agree with me that the 'tone' and 'atmosphere' of the House which was, not so long ago, the subject of constant debate and worry, has considerably improved. This is something we should all be grateful for and I'd like to take a moment to commend the measured and diplomatic approach of the Speaker for helping to facilitate this.

I ask, does the PM think this has anything to do with the fact that the Tories have, finally, got a turn at running a government and that Labour have proven to be a much less embittered Opposition than the Tories were?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    Mr Speaker, as this may be the Prime Minister's last or penultimate appearance at the dispatch box before the General Election (depending on when it is called), I would like to ask him what he feels is the Government's greatest achievement this term.
    I believe that the greatest achievement of this government is that the coalition has survived so far (and will most likely stick together at least until the end of the term). Some may call it unfortunate or even a failure because admittedly, the amount of legislation and debate we've produced hasn't been impressive, but I've learnt that it's much more difficult to keep a bunch of unpaid people with very different ideas about policies and how things should be ran working together than produce legislation.

Still, the government have kept an excellent voting record and many of its members have produced very competitive legislation and statements. We've done the right amount of politicking, compromise, and we did not betray our values for the sake of short-term gains. We've also defeated three premature and overly harsh votes of no confidence as well as executed some interesting and profitable political*manoeuvres, of which I am rather proud.*

(Original post by Kiritsugu)
    Okay, how are we going to ensure that people work together as communities in local, regional, national, international and global ways to overcome many problems that so many people face?
    Do they not do that already? Which problems precisely?
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    Knowing the Prime Minister does not plan to remain the leader of the Conservative Party, which member in the party will he back to succeed him?
    The one I'll consider the best choice for the party's future, especially one capable of being diplomatic, putting the interests of the party and its members before one's own, and of course making arrangements that will improve our position in the House.
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    Mr Speaker,

First, if the Prime Minister does intend to step down as party leader, I would like to congratulate him on his long, illustrious MHoC career.

Second, I would like to ask whether he is somewhat disappointed with what his government has managed to achieve this term, with low output and a defeated Finance Bill?
    I very much appreciate it, though I sometimes question whether being such a nerd really is something commendable.

Indeed, I am. After four terms outside the government and with balls as blue as the deepest Tory blue, my plans were extensive and very hopeful, however it turned out to be very difficult to get everyone on board or even do this full-time myself. At the same time, I don't want to point fingers because it's still a game and we all pretty much know who's been doing a great job, and who's been lazy and just in for the titles. As I admitted in the past, I now realise that some of my criticism of the previous MHoC Prime Ministers has been unfair and now that it's not my job to exert pressure as the Leader of the Opposition, I can finally say it out loud.
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    My Speaker, May I just start by echoing the words of those before me in congratulating the Prime Minister on a long career in the Module House of Commons, and in overseeing a successful coalition with himself at the helm.

Now Mr Speaker to my question for the Prime Minister, at the start of this term I asked the Prime Minister if he felt this would be a Government that governed for everyone, not just the 1%, not just straight people, cis people, white people and men. Now the term has come to an end does the Prime Minister feel he has managed to lead a Government, to paraphrase President Lincoln, of the people, by the people for all the people.

And Mr Speaker if the Prime Minister does feel his Government has been one that has governed in the interest of everyone, does the Prime Minister feel able to justify that position.
    Thank you for the kind words.

As I'm sure you know, I'm not very much into democracy and all that people stuff. I believe that the best representatives or indeed executives are experts who made data-driven decisions rather than pandering to base emotions, which is also what I've been trying to do and I also believe that our statements of intent and bills have followed this principle. One can never please everyone, but he can try to do the best for the majority, which is what I feel very able to justify, though I'd rather not go into your favourite LGB+++ stuff again because I've already made my position clear.*
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    Mr Speaker,

Does the Prime Minister think that inflation will rise as a result of the decision to leave the EU?
    (Original post by frankielogue)
    Mr Speaker

Does the Prime Minister believe that controlling unemployment is more important than controlling inflation, or vice versa?
    The two should be given equal care since one isn't independent of the other, though I'm not an economist so perhaps some model may demonstrate otherwise.*

(Original post by Aph)
    Mr Speaker,

Can he inform us ad to his retirement intentions?
    I'd like to continue to support the party as MP and perhaps get back to writing legislation from time to time now that I won't have to deal with hours of administrative stuff, plotting, diplomacy, etc.

(Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Mr Speaker, could the Minster Prime tell the house what he sees as the greatest success and failure of this government under his premiership, and similarly of his party before during his time as leader?
    As for the government, I'd like to refer you to my first answer to toronto353 and also the one to TDA.*

As for the party, I like to think I've been rather successful in improving the internal organisation, recruiting stable membership, making deals and pushing important bills through the House (shame about the Finance Bill, though), producing visually pleasing manifestos and increasing the number of our seats at General Elections, making peace with Liberals (twice), pulling off various stunts to ensure we don't lose seats and that all our members vote on time (with great help from mobbsy and his superb voting reviews), not being a weak leader (though UKIP will surely disagree), and finally being able to hand over the reins after a reasonable time without disappearing into the void without a word—something that many other leaders don't seem to manage. :awesome: As for the greatest… I'm not sure, it's the whole package and I dare say it's been at least decent. My greatest failure? I could have done more (e.g. write bills myself, come up with more ideas to motivate people to take part in debates, be more persistent and follow difficult long-term plans more closely, etc.) and perhaps be more willing to compromise right from the start.

(Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    Can the right honourable Prime Minister Life_peer comment on the possibility of a second Scottish independence referendum?
    I don't consider it fair and I certainly don't think the same question should be repeated so soon after it was rejected. I'm aware of the EU situation and that it gives the SNP some cheap ammunition to stubbornly demand a second attempt but that's Politics 101 and unfortunately, the current political climate is how it is so we'll just have to live with it.
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    Mr Speaker, I welcome the Minister Prime (why not, seeing as it's the last time ) to the dispatch box and thank him for heeding my call for a pre-election round of PMQs.

I suspect the PM would agree with me that the 'tone' and 'atmosphere' of the House which was, not so long ago, the subject of constant debate and worry, has considerably improved. This is something we should all be grateful for and I'd like to take a moment to commend the measured and diplomatic approach of the Speaker for helping to facilitate this.

I ask, does the PM think this has anything to do with the fact that the Tories have, finally, got a turn at running a government and that Labour have proven to be a much less embittered Opposition than the Tories were?
    Indeed, I do agree with you, but at the same time I presume it may have to do with the fact that we've reached a plateau and everyone is looking forward to the new term, which could turn out to be as vicious as ever. Personally speaking, I've chosen to be more controlled and even pleasant rather than identifying as an AH-64 and attempting to annihilate my opposition because it's gotten a lot busier IRL and I've had enough of the PC BS on TSR. Now I'll be delivering the perfect Rakas impression as long as you let me. :laugh:

As for your question, it likely does. It's like with sex—if you can't get laid for two years, you have to release that accumulated energy somewhere. Some of you lot have been very bitter, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    x
    As a follow-up, I'd like to say that despite the fact that you're wrong about literally everything ( ), I have immense respect for you as an MHoC member and a debater, despite the fact that said respect is arguably unpopular among some of my compatriots. I wish you all the best for the future in life as well as the MHoC, and if you're ever in Yorkshire (or Bristol, as the case may be), I'll buy you a pint.

ReputationRep:
    When did Minister Prime Life_peer last get laid?

(Original post by Life_peer)
    As for your question, it likely does. It's like with sex—if you can't get laid for two years, you have to release that accumulated energy somewhere. Some of you lot have been very bitter, though.

ReputationRep:
    This question session has ended.

If the PM wishes to answer the final unanswered question (I suggest perhaps not) I will happily reopen this for him to do so.

Updated: October 17, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Wake up and smell the...

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.