Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

do i need permission to use someone as a reference?? Watch

ReputationRep:
    do i need permission to use someone as a reference?
    ive contacted my college teachers multiple times to no reply, dont know if their emails have changed or if they have left..
    can i just put them down?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by subzero6661)
    do i need permission to use someone as a reference?
    ive contacted my college teachers multiple times to no reply, dont know if their emails have changed or if they have left..
    can i just put them down?
    If you can't get in contact with them, how will the employer get the reference?

ReputationRep:
    idk? but i cant even apply for jobs if i cant fill in the reference field so what do i do?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    idk? but i cant even apply for jobs if i cant fill in the reference field so what do i do?
    You might as well make up some details then if all you care about is a box being filled in.

You will be able to apply using an incorrect reference, but you won't actually be able to start a job. If somewhere is asking for reference details that's because they want to contact the referee and obtain a reference. So if they can't get a reference you won't get a start date, and you'll look silly when they've tried repeatedly to contact the referee and had no reply.

You need to choose a different person to give a reference

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    You might as well make up some details then if all you care about is a box being filled in.

You will be able to apply using an incorrect reference, but you won't actually be able to start a job. If somewhere is asking for reference details that's because they want to contact the referee and obtain a reference. So if they can't get a reference you won't get a start date, and you'll look silly when they've tried repeatedly to contact the referee and had no reply.

You need to choose a different person to give a reference
    i have nobody... otherwise i would use them...

ReputationRep:
    i have nobody... otherwise i would use them...
    You must have left a good impression on someone at some point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inspiringvisons)
    Write N/a for references
    don't bother writing anything at all .

in termso f using previous educational establishments as a reference have you actually tried contactign the adminstration of the organisation in question to find out if the staff member is still there ...

even if they aren;t there the organisation may be able to provide a reference acknowleding you exist, you did attend the institituon, confirming results and attendance etc ... which is what a lot of the 'standardised' and 'safe' references provided by Adminstrative or HR functions do even for quite senior jobs ...

ReputationRep:
    And what exactly do you expect to happen when the employer asks after references?
    They put the reference section there for a reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    And what exactly do you expect to happen when the employer asks after references?
    They put the reference section there for a reason.

Find a reference

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inspiringvisons)
    Find a reference
    Why dont you just find a reference and put it on the form when they ask you in the first place then??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    Why dont you just find a reference and put it on the form when they ask you in the first place then??
    Because you might not have anyone in mind as a reference before that stage.

Poll
Is GoT overrated?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.