Turn on thread page Beta

Personal Statement for French and Spanish watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by city_chic)
    My mistake was when I answered "So what other literature have you read apart from L'etranger?" with "I haven't read any other literature..." :p: :o:
    yeah- i was nearly in that position- luckily id read death in venice on the way to cambridge plus an essay about it from the cambridge companion to thomas mann!

i think for anyone worried about literature- theres a good argument for just having read poetry- I sort of dont see the point in reading foreign literature bc youre bound not to be able to really appreciate it since literature works in such a subtle way- whereas when I read baudelaire I felt i was able to really get my teeth into it- because you can look up every single word- and in doing so you arguably pay more attention to the poetry than if you were a native speaker (I think i actually said this in my iterview- i think the interviewer like that) plus you can read some critical works and works by the poet (in the case of baudelaire)

obviously reading a book is a good idea as well- because it takes more perseverance that 'just reading a poem'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonnythemoose)
    Yeah, Cambridge will love you for going on about literature - and even though you can totally avoid literature on their MML course, they'll still ask you about it during the interview. I'd advise you don't say what I said which was "I'm not a big fan of literature, really..."

(Original post by city_chic)
    My mistake was when I answered "So what other literature have you read apart from L'etranger?" with "I haven't read any other literature..." :p: :o:

Ah... I was okay on the French literature section of the interview, but I feel my mistake was when they asked me "what Spanish literature/films/anything at all Spanish have you looked at/studied" (I was applying for French and Spanish ab initio) to which I responded... "umm... ah.. I've not really looked at any books... or anything... mimble wimble..." and tailed off rather. I'm fairly sure I saw them note down some nice big fat crosses.

ReputationRep:
    With literature - I kinda felt...yeah, I should be reading some German literature or whatever, but I also knew that lit wasn't compulsory on any of the courses; and frankly, if they accepted me, I didn't want them to do it because I'd falsely appeared like I loved literature...because I don't! It was partly why I wasn't too disappointed at my rejection, because I'd realised that the course probably wasn't my favourite of the five I'd applied for anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonnythemoose)
    With literature - I kinda felt...yeah, I should be reading some German literature or whatever, but I also knew that lit wasn't compulsory on any of the courses; and frankly, if they accepted me, I didn't want them to do it because I'd falsely appeared like I loved literature...because I don't! It was partly why I wasn't too disappointed at my rejection, because I'd realised that the course probably wasn't my favourite of the five I'd applied for anyway.
    if you dont love literature and dont want to appear as if you did because its just not you, you probably just werent suited to the course- their pretty traditionalist- I think you were right

ReputationRep:
    Hey, does anybody know any good (preferably short) books which give overview of french/spanish history?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toddy21)
    Hey, does anybody know any good (preferably short) books which give overview of french/spanish history?
    Try "The New Spaniards" by John Hooper on the Spanish side...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 21, 2008

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.