Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Chemical Engineering: no physics A Level - career limitations? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

So I know you can be accepted into Universities without A Level Physics for Chemical Engineering. However, my question is in terms of going into Chemical Engineering as a career, will someone who hasn't done Physics at A Level be at disadvantage to someone who was for a job related to Chemical Engineering? I.e. lower acceptance rate, the other person would be accepted due to more of a background in Physics.

Or does it not matter, due to the relevant Physics being taught at the degree level, at the standards required for the job to the point where A Level Physics makes no difference?

If that makes any sense.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by johnny8345)
    Hi,

So I know you can be accepted into Universities without A Level Physics for Chemical Engineering. However, my question is in terms of going into Chemical Engineering as a career, will someone who hasn't done Physics at A Level be at disadvantage to someone who was for a job related to Chemical Engineering? I.e. lower acceptance rate, the other person would be accepted due to more of a background in Physics.

Or does it not matter, due to the relevant Physics being taught at the degree level, at the standards required for the job to the point where A Level Physics makes no difference?

If that makes any sense.
    Your degree is more important for your career in ChemEng.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

If that makes any sense.
    Makes absolutely no difference at all.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

If that makes any sense.
    It will make absolutely no difference to your career prospects. Don't feel like you missed out by not doing it either, as your ChemEng course will inevitably cover similar ground to the physics A-Level.

Just to give an overview you will still learn more about these topics missed from physics A-Level, if you're interested in doing some more reading: measurement theory, precision and error, mechanics, materials, particle physics and radiation, fields and thermal physics.

Poll
Is GoT overrated?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.