Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone.
    well i was just wondering if anyone of you can Help me? i want to be a dentist and want to learn in the UK.
    after Completing my A-Levels with Decent Grades (hopefully) what university do you seggest for a internation Student in the UK?
    which one is the BEST?
    and i heard that in the UK, dentistry is one of the most highest paying occupations! :cool: :rolleyes:

i will be needing an Accomdation by university (Self-catering)...

i am interested in the University Of Galsgow - Scotland.
    but not sure if how it is.

just let me know what universities you think are the best that provide facilities and are on a good location.
    i heard london is very expensive. lol.
    anyways.
    waiting for your replies.

see ya!

(Original post by Lestat)
    Hey everyone.
    well i was just wondering if anyone of you can Help me? i want to be a dentist and want to learn in the UK.
    after Completing my A-Levels with Decent Grades (hopefully) what university do you seggest for a internation Student in the UK?
    which one is the BEST?
    and i heard that in the UK, dentistry is one of the most highest paying occupations! :cool: :rolleyes:

i will be needing an Accomdation by university (Self-catering)...

i am interested in the University Of Galsgow - Scotland.
    but not sure if how it is.

just let me know what universities you think are the best that provide facilities and are on a good location.
    i heard london is very expensive. lol.
    anyways.
    waiting for your replies.

see ya!
    its all a matter of opinion, but KCL is definitely the best for dentistry. The only downfall is that it is expensive to live in london..........

the best thing to do is research

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Dazya for the quick reply!

KCL! hmmm....... i am going to search for its website right now.....
    and yeah, London is for sure expensive...
    is "Student Discount" of any use by the way?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't concern yourself with which university is best academically, dental schools are all v similar as they all have to follow the same strict guidelines as to what is taught.

You'd be better off comparing the different cities to see which you'd perfere to live in for the five years.

Of course, I'd say Newcastle is best, but I'm biased!

ReputationRep:
    well i kind of agree with what yu said.

Hmm... Newcastle..... do they offer Dentistry (BDS)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DazYa777)
    its all a matter of opinion, but KCL is definitely the best for dentistry. The only downfall is that it is expensive to live in london..........

the best thing to do is research
    thats the only reason i just decided to search for some other university thats not at least situated in the Europe's most expensive city..

Lol!

KCL, btw, looks a really decent and interesting university!

*wonders why it had to be in London* :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    well i kind of agree with what yu said.

Hmm... Newcastle..... do they offer Dentistry (BDS)?
    Yes they do, as do Sheffield, Bristol, Liverpool, Manchester, Glasgow, Aberdeen (i think), Leeds (BChD, not BDS), Queens (Belfast, N. Ireland), KCL, QML.. that's just off the top of my head, but check www.ucas.com for more info.

Incidentally, totally agree with Bitewing.. there are comparatively few uni's which offer Dentistry in the UK, and all of them are academically sound institutions with superb teaching. Naturally, stuck up KCL students (i.e.: my sister) will always twitter on about how they have the best research facilities and hence best teaching, but that's just arse, honest!

What i did was actually get to as many of the Open Days as possible, check out their facilities, surroundings, Union, etc etc.. although it might not be as simple from abroad. For me the major factor in choosing uni's was if i felt comfortable there. For example when i visited Liverpool i just detested the city, that's just me.. others loved it, i'm sure.

So there ya go. Incidentally, atleast THINK of some good reasons to study dentistry before any interviews, okay! "It pays well, I want a porsche".. not really the way to go!

Oh, and one last thing.. Choose Sheffield, it rocks.

ReputationRep:
    Dundee also offers dentistry. I don't think Aberdeen does.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bitewing)
    Dundee also offers dentistry. I don't think Aberdeen does.
    Ah yeah, sorry.. my mistake. Knew there were two Scottish uni's that offered it.

ReputationRep:
    Edinburgh used to offer dentistry, ideally thats where I wanted to go. Part of the dental school has been turned into a pub... guess I'll just have to make the best of it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sahir)
    Yes they do, as do Sheffield, Bristol, Liverpool, Manchester, Glasgow, Aberdeen (i think), Leeds (BChD, not BDS), Queens (Belfast, N. Ireland), KCL, QML.. that's just off the top of my head, but check www.ucas.com for more info.

Incidentally, totally agree with Bitewing.. there are comparatively few uni's which offer Dentistry in the UK, and all of them are academically sound institutions with superb teaching. Naturally, stuck up KCL students (i.e.: my sister) will always twitter on about how they have the best research facilities and hence best teaching, but that's just arse, honest!

What i did was actually get to as many of the Open Days as possible, check out their facilities, surroundings, Union, etc etc.. although it might not be as simple from abroad. For me the major factor in choosing uni's was if i felt comfortable there. For example when i visited Liverpool i just detested the city, that's just me.. others loved it, i'm sure.

So there ya go. Incidentally, atleast THINK of some good reasons to study dentistry before any interviews, okay! "It pays well, I want a porsche".. not really the way to go!

Oh, and one last thing.. Choose Sheffield, it rocks.

wow... thats a nice piece of information.......... thanks alot sahir!

what do you think about Glasgow?

and yeah, Sheffield, is it on a nice location and do they provide any facilities?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bitewing)
    Edinburgh used to offer dentistry, ideally thats where I wanted to go. Part of the dental school has been turned into a pub... guess I'll just have to make the best of it!
    :cool:

ReputationRep:
    wow... thats a nice piece of information.......... thanks alot sahir!

what do you think about Glasgow?

and yeah, Sheffield, is it on a nice location and do they provide any facilities?

Thanks
    Glasgow.. um, can't say that i even visited the uni. First of all i completely ruled out uni's that were too far from home (i.e: Scotland and Ireland), and then i completely ruled out uni's that were too close to home (i.e.: London), and then visited the rest - well, most of. So sorry, i can't really help. Although my dentist actually went to Glasgow, and as far as i know they're really big on extractions in Scotland *shrug* god knows why - as opposed to restoration etc, i mean.

Anyway yes, Sheffield - awesome location, great balance between the town and the countryside ("leafy suburbs" as they refer to it), great Student Union (voted best in the country last year i believe), and i just loved it really! Simple as that. Facilities are immaculate too, yea - the dental school is attached to the actual hospital. As opposed to Bristol, which looked like something out of the 70's with all their wooden benches n stuff.

ReputationRep:
    well i wouldnt particulary say Kings was the best! in the guardian it says manchester is the best!!
    i have a place at mancs if i get the grades!! lol but i was just wondering what to do if i dont? resit? or change course?
    i need ABB, i kno i wont get lower than BBB fingers crossed just was wanting some advice! cheers

ReputationRep:
    well i wouldnt particulary say Kings was the best! in the guardian it says manchester is the best!!
    i have a place at mancs if i get the grades!! lol but i was just wondering what to do if i dont? resit? or change course?
    i need ABB, i kno i wont get lower than BBB fingers crossed just was wanting some advice! cheers
    i dont suggest you to change course..... its just my opinion....
    if you really think you can do something then never let anything/anyone make you feel you cant do what you want to coz what you want to do might be difficult but nothing is impossible

Good Luck!

i am still stuck with selecting unis..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sahir)
    Glasgow.. um, can't say that i even visited the uni. First of all i completely ruled out uni's that were too far from home (i.e: Scotland and Ireland), and then i completely ruled out uni's that were too close to home (i.e.: London), and then visited the rest - well, most of. So sorry, i can't really help. Although my dentist actually went to Glasgow, and as far as i know they're really big on extractions in Scotland *shrug* god knows why - as opposed to restoration etc, i mean.

Anyway yes, Sheffield - awesome location, great balance between the town and the countryside ("leafy suburbs" as they refer to it), great Student Union (voted best in the country last year i believe), and i just loved it really! Simple as that. Facilities are immaculate too, yea - the dental school is attached to the actual hospital. As opposed to Bristol, which looked like something out of the 70's with all their wooden benches n stuff.

Thanks man.......

so now i am thinking to join one of these two unis.
    Glasgow and Sheffield (you make it so attractive )

do they have accomodation!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks man.......

so now i am thinking to join one of these two unis.
    Glasgow and Sheffield (you make it so attractive )

do they have accomodation!
    Yep, ofcourse! Order some prospecti from their websites; www.shef.ac.uk, www.kcl.ac.uk etc etc

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 4, 2004

University open days

• Staffordshire University
    Everything except: Midwifery, Operating Department Practice, Paramedic Undergraduate
    Sun, 21 Oct '18
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.