not sure whether i should choose mathematics at university?

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    hey!

I'm stuck on what degree to choose for university, i'm between Mathematics and Economics. I have heard a Mathematics degree is highly thought off and gives you greater prophecy after graduating than a economics degree, but both are very well degrees?

My question is due to my mixture of A level and BTEC, doing Business BTEC Diploma and Maths A level. Predicted D*D*A.

If i achieve those grades, i could get into a top university to do economics, e.g. Nottingham, Bristol, Lancaster etc...

I could either do a Mathematics degree, and get into universities which aren't that high, e.g. Aston, coventry, Leicester

If I was to come out of university with a 2:1 in economics from one of them universities, or would a maths degree from let's say Leicester still look more appealing to employer?

Would my university I graduate from with a maths degree affect my results from the degree let's say it be a 2:1?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm literally doing a similar course to you (Business Diploma and History, predicted D*D and a B). I think they are both really well respected degrees. The content taught at Bristol and Nottingham is more mathematics based for economics so I don't really see a difference if you were to choose between Maths and Economics. It also depends if you wanna work in finance as you don't necessarily need a maths/economics degree so it's really up to you on what your interests are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BigMan Ting)
    Hey, I'm literally doing a similar course to you (Business Diploma and History, predicted D*D and a B). I think they are both really well respected degrees. The content taught at Bristol and Nottingham is more mathematics based for economics so I don't really see a difference if you were to choose between Maths and Economics. It also depends if you wanna work in finance as you don't necessarily need a maths/economics degree so it's really up to you on what your interests are.
    Ah right, yeah. I'm not so sure what I want to do after university, in terms of careers. I just feel maybe if I do maths, I can have a wider option available to me, as well as that I have a great interest in both subjects,so it's very hard for me to decide, I haven't actually got to start my personal statement for this reason of not knowing what I want to do, which I really need to get a grip on ASAP.

ReputationRep:
    If you are thinking of doing maths degree just because it has better career prospects- I suggest not doing it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hassassin04)
    If you are thinking of doing maths degree just because it has better career prospects- I suggest not doing it.
    That's a reason, but the main reason is I enjoy it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bhfn)
    That's a reason, but the main reason is I enjoy it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The Economics from Nottingham sounds better anyways but the thing is no one can tell you what to do you have to follow your heart.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't really call Nottingham, Bristol, and Lancaster "top universities". Nottingham and Bristol are solid but not spectacular and Lancaster is mediocre at best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by #ChaosKass)
    I wouldn't really call Nottingham, Bristol, and Lancaster "top universities". Nottingham and Bristol are solid but not spectacular and Lancaster is mediocre at best.
    Please ignore anything the above account ever posts. Thank you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Obiejess)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not true, some of what they post is absolutely solid.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Obiejess)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No it's true. Bristol and Nottingham are very good universities but they are not 'top' universities. The top unis for maths are Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial and Warwick. The group is known as COWI.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Not true, some of what they post is absolutely solid.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by Ladbants)
    No it's true. Bristol and Nottingham are very good universities but they are not 'top' universities. The top unis for maths are Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial and Warwick. The group is known as COWI.
    Do you really not realise it's a troll account?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bhfn)
    I have heard a Mathematics degree is highly thought off and gives you greater prophecy after graduating
    You will be wanting an astrology degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bhfn)
    a top university to do economics, e.g. Nottingham, Bristol, Lancaster etc...
    Above is better than below for job prospects, all else being equal, unless you want to be a mathematician. Except maybe Lancaster...

I could either do a Mathematics degree, and get into universities which aren't that high, e.g. Aston, coventry, Leicester

ReputationRep:
    You seem to be more interested in your graduate prospects, so go for Economics at Bristol/Nottingham.

Economics degrees (as far as I am aware) are quite high in mathematical content, which is good as you enjoy maths, and it may also be a mathematical enough degree for you to be able to apply for most of the jobs that Maths graduates can apply to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by W. A. Mozart)
    You seem to be more interested in your graduate prospects, so go for Economics at Bristol/Nottingham.

Economics degrees (as far as I am aware) are quite high in mathematical content, which is good as you enjoy maths, and it may also be a mathematical enough degree for you to be able to apply for most of the jobs that Maths graduates can apply to.
    I've decided i'm going to do Economics and Mathematics.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 18, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you prefer to be told about sex by your:
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.