Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    anything from jeans and a tshirt to rowing blazers to faerie wings and tutu.
    depends which club, what night, and what sort of night you want.
    At a guess, you'd be rather hot in most oxford clubs wearing a blazer, but you wouldn't look out of place.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I have fairly vivid mental images of people in pinstripe blazers on May Morning :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Siddhartha)
    Ok, thank you both for your response.
    On another note, I have this pinstripe blazer which is common outfit to wear when my friends and I go clubbing in Copenhagen or Helsingør, could I bring it to the UK and still wear it without looking out of place? What kind of clothes do people typically wear in clubs (without generalizing too much)?
    Should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    What is the convention regarding tails and lapels for black tie in Oxford?
    I mean, I am thinking of getting tailored a tuxedo (black tie dress code) in Bangkok and I was wondering if anyone knows about tail length regarding black tie and white tie (since I do not want a white tie tux).
    Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Siddhartha)
    What is the convention regarding tails and lapels for black tie in Oxford?
    I mean, I am thinking of getting tailored a tuxedo (black tie dress code) in Bangkok and I was wondering if anyone knows about tail length regarding black tie and white tie (since I do not want a white tie tux).
    Cheers.
    Black tie normally does not have tails (I've never seen black tie with tails).

I wouldn't recommend getting white tie before you come for Oxford (unless you're getting it absurdly cheaply or have money coming out of your ears). You will very rarely need white tie (probably never, unless you get involved with the Union or OUCA).

ReputationRep:
    Wikipedia (bless it) is quite informative on what you & your tailor might need to know:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_tie

DtS
    (black tie gear from Oxfam and proud of it!)

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so there's loads of white tie/ black tie events, balls and formal dinners (proper ones, not the college ones that only require you to wear a gown) at Oxford. Each time I go to one, assuming that a dress costs between 100-200 pounds, I will be spending a fortune on clothes I would probably only wear once or twice. Girls can't wear the same dress to another ball right? If I do that acquaintences who actually notice probably won't have anything nice to say when my back is turned... So what do people do? Does anyone swap evening dresses and ballgowns with their friends? Is it worth hiring dresses or does it cost roughly the same amount anyway? For guys, all they need to wear is DJ so you can't really tell even if you wear the same thing again...not fair :P

ReputationRep:
    Charity Shops!!!!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pessywhile)
    assuming that a dress costs between 100-200 pounds, I will be spending a fortune on clothes I would probably only wear once or twice
    If you buy your dresses in sales or from somewhere like TK MAXX you can probably get about 10 for the same amount of money!

ReputationRep:
    Sales are godsends - I've got two black-tie dresses suitable for balls from sales - one dress was £40 reduced from £120, from Monsoon; the other £40 reduced from £130, from Warehouse. I also got a proper full-length evening gown, which I haven't had chance to wear yet (alas!), from eBay - it was unworn, Laura Ashley, perhaps slightly old-fashioned but gorgeous nevertheless, and cost me £10 plus p&p. Most of my formalwear comes from sales and it's possible to get really beautiful stuff for a fraction of its original price.

I wear dresses to more than one black-tie event - I only had one ballgown-like dress last term, so wore it to both the balls I went to, and the friends who saw me at both didn't seem to notice. There is even more flexibility when it comes to black-tie dinners, college events, and less formal social events such as parties - I've worn dresses that were strictly "unsuitable" (above the knee, not particularly formal-looking, etc) to black tie dinners and nobody seems to have noticed, and I normally only take a couple of dresses a term so I rewear two or three times and I've never noticed anybody raising their eyebrows or sniggering. Remember that there's often not much overlap in attendance of black-tie events anyway - you might, for example, go to your college ball with your college friends, and the Union ball with friends you've made through a society etc.

Whether or not people do ***** about how you're dressed presumably depends on the company you keep - a lot of my friends are either outright "geeky" (self-confessed! and I am a geek too ) or just not particularly fashion-conscious. I am not one of the "cool" girls, never have been, and few of my friends are "cool", so most of my friends would never dream of thinking less of me because I wear the same dress twice in one term. (I don't mean to imply that all fashion-conscious, popular people, or indeed socialites, are snobby about dress - I'm not really expressing myself well here. I shouldn't post at 1am. )

What I'm trying to say is don't worry - you can get as many dresses you can afford in sales etc, and then wear them more than once if need be - anybody worth having as a friend won't care.

Edit: I've already offered to lend dresses to one TSR user who was worried she wouldn't be bringing enough formalwear. I extend my offer to you too, OP, if you're the same size (5'4" and size 8-10). I was considering trying to set up a network of people willing to lend dresses for free/in exchange for dry cleaning - I'm certainly happy for people to borrow my stuff as long as they return it clean and undamaged, and maybe buy me a drink - what are people's thoughts on this? Do you think it'd work?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice. I think setting up a network for people to borrow dresses from each other is a great idea! I would be happy to participate and lend any dresses I get to ppl as long as they bring it back in good condition.

ReputationRep:
    i believe what most girls i know do is to wear something unique for big, trinity term balls, but for smaller black tie events within college, rotate around a few dresses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pessywhile)
    Ok, so there's loads of white tie/ black tie events, balls and formal dinners (proper ones, not the college ones that only require you to wear a gown) at Oxford. Each time I go to one, assuming that a dress costs between 100-200 pounds, I will be spending a fortune on clothes I would probably only wear once or twice. Girls can't wear the same dress to another ball right? If I do that acquaintences who actually notice probably won't have anything nice to say when my back is turned... So what do people do? Does anyone swap evening dresses and ballgowns with their friends? Is it worth hiring dresses or does it cost roughly the same amount anyway? For guys, all they need to wear is DJ so you can't really tell even if you wear the same thing again...not fair :P
    Ok firstly that's an obscene amount of money to spend. The January sales are your friend (this isn't like prom where everyone shops in the same place and will shock horror know if you got your dress on sale). Half the cocktail type dresses my friends and I wear came from New Look anyway (New Look in Oxford seems to know that we need many dresses and around Xmas time does lots of the sort of thing that's good for subject dinners etc)

Secondly there's nothing wrong with wearing the same dress twice. Possibly you might want one new ball gown a year for e.g. college ball / Commemoration ball / Union Ball - but in terms of dinner dance / subject dinner / society dinners etc it's totally fine to reuse dresses.

And lastly, bearing in mind the list I just made there you're not going to go to every dinner / dance with the same group of people. My tute partner aside, since we seem to do everything together, none of my choir friends row, none of my rowing friends do biology etc etc So I can easily reuse a dress. And since Kate is in the same situation as I am we don't judge each other for reusing dresses

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.