Physics

English Literature
    English Language

History
    Sociology
    French
    Religious Studies
    GCSE PE
    well I did quite similar GCSEs to you last year and got 12A* so I guess I can help...

I started properly learning the content from memory just before the Easter holidays started (March ish), but by learning I literally mean learning- you shouldn't be writing notes at this point!!!

I wrote all my notes/ mind maps/ revision cards for before easter- mainly the xmas/feb holidays- so don't try and memorise things at the moment as you will just forget it by exams and have to relearn it all. Instead just focus on making sure you understand all the content and making some really good notes that you can easily learn from.

Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    12A* WTF ill never get that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Txhmid)
    subjects:
    Maths
    Further Maths
    Statistics

Triple science:
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Physics

English Literature
    English Language

History
    Sociology
    French
    Religious Studies
    GCSE PE
    I wouldn't advise revising yet, but it wouldn't hurt to start making revision notes (flashcards, mind maps, bullet points etc.), if you want (it helps to start early)

ReputationRep:
    It's definitely not an impossible feat, but it'll require work (especially for languages, people often see a bit of a dip grade-wise, because it's so different to any other type of subject).

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I'll get an A* for maths because I revise so much for all the topics that are in the test but I still get like an A or sometimes a B. My mind doesn't think of abstract ideas needed to answer the really hard A* questions

ReputationRep:
    I would say to ensure that you are keeping up with your work now and revise for mock exams but don't start heavy revision until February/March time, here is what I would do for each subject:

Maths and further maths ( I didn't do statistics) a past paper every now and then would be good enough, ensure that you review your mistakes and understand where you went wrong, this is the most important thing, with these questions write flash cards so then the night before you can go through methods. I done maths a year early and only really done past papers and was probably not a high priority, further maths once again wasn't a large priority and as it was my last exam I had several days to revise for it, just ensure you understand the work throughout the year is my top advice for maths.

Triple science (OCR) I also done a year early which was helpful as science is very content driven, I would say but a CGP guide and all you need to know is in there. Chemistry is the most helpful to do past papers for as similar style questions come up and j think this is the easiest of the GCSE science subjects if you do past papers. Physics I found the exam hard, but this is because I went into the exam not really knowing P6 (I literally revised the day before for p456 ), however due to low grade boundaries and I am not sure what else I managed to get an A*. Overall physics just read the revision guide and try to make sense of it, it won't go as bad as you think. Biology is a strange one, it is one of my favourite subjects and I knew B1B2B3 off by heart but in my year a lot of people found the exam difficult due to the strange style of questions, therefore my advice for biology is practice questions.

English lit and Lang (Aqa) also were extremely abused in my revision, especially language where I hardly done any practice. With language just write a flash card of notes on how to answer each question and then practice, this is all you can do for this subject! Literature ( I think it has changed for your year where you can no longer go in with notes) book wise (OMAM and AIC) just review quotes and maybe do short plans for potential questions ensuring that you cover a range of characters and themes, make sure you know context for the book which has got context points. Also ensure you do a few practice questions, English always get a teacher to mark it as it is difficult to mark yourself and u need to ensure you have the right technique.

History (edexcel) my school ran revision sessions for at lunch and after school throughout the year, I attended these throughout the year (i would advise going to revision session throughout the year as it helps you complete small amounts) and printed off all the past questions (school were very helpful in providing resources on questions) RAG rated them, planned them, relieved help on them. Make sure you know all the content but also how to apply this to a question, Germany one of the questions which I practiced came up so I advise practicing. Also look at examiner reports as they give exemplar work. Surgery (source based exam) know the content but mainly how to answer the question as that is where half of the marks come from, PRACTICE TIMING, I only had 15 marks for my 16 marks. I somehow managed to get full marks in my history exam but I concentrated a lot on history as it was my favourite subject but also one I was most worrided about.

Sociology (AQA) we had a rubbish teacher so I made sure I revised this hard. I started making revision cards in February making them from the specification, I used the Aqa revision guide and also found resources online, I once again went through practice papers which I heavily recommend as similar questions always come up, power was a bit of a difficult topic as the questions were usually different. Once again look at examiner reports as they say what they are looking for, I was 2 UMS of full marks in sociology so I would advise this.

French (edexcel) would be one to revise continuously from now as it is not a subject you can cram, I assume you still have coursework, our exam was worth 40% and was listening and reading. At the beginning of the year I was getting D's in listening and B's in reading and in the exam I managed to get a B in the listening and full UMS in the reading! My school held listening clinics (which I was forced to go to) but my biggest advice is to learn vocab, that is the main thing with French, the best way is to go through practice papers as they usually reuse vocab and I think Edexcel release a list for all the vocab that they will ever show, if u start learning vocab now it will make it a lot easier.

RS made some revision notes and then revised quotes on the day, don't underestimate RS but it should be an alrigt exam, just do a few past papers as well to make sure of it, they usually have similar style questions.

Sorry but I didn't do GCSE PE.

Hopefully this helped, overall I achieved 9A*'s (English lit, sociology, geography, history, chemistry, biology, physics, further maths, RS) and 3 A's (English language, maths, French) and I wish you the best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    subjects:
    Maths
    Further Maths
    Statistics

Triple science:
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Physics

English Literature
    English Language

History
    Sociology
    French
    Religious Studies
    GCSE PE
    I would get all your notes and resources made and prepared as soon as possible. When to start learning the actual content is totally down to the individual person. A lot of people I know, including myself, started around Easter whereas I know others that didn't really start revising until one or two nights for some subjects but still came out with great grades.

I really wouldn't recommend starting to properly revise now (unless you're really struggling with a subject). You'll probably just end up burning out and then not wanting to revise when it actually matters.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    if you want just an A then a few hours before the test is enough

ReputationRep:
    I never thought I could but with a s**t load of revision anything is possible

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daniel117100)
    if you want just an A then a few hours before the test is enough
    noooo don't listen to this!!!!!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 16, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Wake up and smell the...
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.