Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Age for Marriage watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    What in your opinion is the minimum age when people should get married- and that you would think it would be too young if they got married before that age?
    (Don't worry about the legal age, we all know that is 16 with parental consent and 18 without....i mean morally in your opinion)

Ruthie xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthiepoothie)
    What in your opinion is the minimum age when people should get married- and that you would think it would be too young if they got married before that age?
    (Don't worry about the legal age, we all know that is 16 with parental consent and 18 without....i mean morally in your opinion)
    I advise not 19

Been there, done that, don't really fancy the T-shirt too much!

ReputationRep:
    Not before about 23/24 I reckon.

In typically imbecilic fashion, my mother was 17 when she married my dad (who was 23). To compound matters, she had me when she was 19. Hardly surprisingly, they divorced by the time I was 5.

(Well there you have my cheerful parental life history: I'd better not go into step-parents, that's a whole other story)

ReputationRep:
    Yes but when people marry early, there's no stopping them having a child early without the wedding and split up soon afterwards either.

ReputationRep:
    When people feel mature enough- I'd guess it would be around late 20s early 30s- can't see myself settling down before that! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Hello Beki

ReputationRep:
    Well any age is 'ok' in general though obviously the younger you do the smaller the chance of it lasting. Personally id wait till late 20s at the earliest.

ReputationRep:
    Hey polthy how you doing>!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Shines_)
    Hey polthy how you doing>!?
    I'm bouncy thanks When you off to Soton?

I don't have to go to Cambridge until the end of September, so at least I'll be here on Katie's birthday (20th Sept)

Suppose I shouldn't really used threads for PMing but I'm lazy!

ReputationRep:

Ruthie xx
    What's your opinion?

ReputationRep:
    Polthy I PMed you as I'm not sooo lazy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polthegael)
    What's your opinion?
    I think about 23....
    you need to know yourself properly before getting married....
    but it also depends how long the couple have been together i suppose....

i would not want to get married before i was 23 and had a job etc so i could support myself...
    i would also have liked to move out of home and experience independence before moving in with my husband

ReputationRep:
    When it feels right for you.

And not just because you've got a bun in the oven. Or you put it there.

I'm not sure if I'd ever be right with it. The chance to wear a pretty dress and have a posh do sounds nice, but is it really worth it? I don't know, but I am definitely too young to feel it is right now.

ReputationRep:

I've been with my boyfriend since i was 17 (i'm 20 in September). My boyfriend is 28 though so i guess he feels more pressured than i do. We've talked about this, and he knows that i won't consider marriage until i've finished uni. Which is looking like its gonna be when i'm about 27/28. If its meant to be, we'll still be together. And despite pressure from the future in laws, i am not having a baby until i finish uni either!

ReputationRep:
    My ex-boyfriend's parents got married at 19 and are still together now....they've just celebrated 50 years! Saying that though, I don't think I'll get married until at least mid-20's.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh it's got nothing to do with anyone else when a couple decides to get married.

You see couples who marry or get together at 16, and stay together forever whilst you also see couples who get married at a respectable age of 25 and it lasts two months. So, it is up to the individuals. I imagine a lot of people believe that you should live you're life and make sure you've found the "right one", but some people at seventeen are content and feel they have found that special person. Likewise, getting married or remarried at forty is also up to the individual, I don't see it as too old.

ReputationRep:

Ruthie xx
    I'd have to stick with th age of 18 as is legal in all Australian states and territories. Simply because it signifies so many social things. Voting, allowed to smoke, allowed to purchase alcohol etc. Marriage is just another such thing. Besides, entering into marriage requires a degree of life experience and maturity. Which is probably why, statistically, most Australians marry at the age of 24 for women and 27 for men.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sire)
    I'd have to stick with th age of 18 as is legal in all Australian states and territories. Simply because it signifies so many social things. Voting, allowed to smoke, allowed to purchase alcohol etc. Marriage is just another such thing. Besides, entering into marriage requires a degree of life experience and maturity. Which is probably why, statistically, most Australians marry at the age of 24 for women and 27 for men.
    24 is seriously young for the average age of getting married. Whats the average age in england?

My dad told me not to get married before 30, so i think ill take his advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThornsnRoses)
    24 is seriously young for the average age of getting married. Whats the average age in england?

My dad told me not to get married before 30, so i think ill take his advice.
    Not really that young. My mother married my father when she was 21 and he was 29. My partner married when she was 21 even though she is constantly going on about what a huge mistake that was. I wonder if she'll marry me when I work up the guts to ask her. By that time I should be about 27-28

ReputationRep:

Ruthie xx
    People develop at different rates and it therefore differ greatly from person to person. However, I think a minimum requirement is that you are prepared to take responsibility for yourself and that you can take responsibility for your actions. When bellow 18, you are still a minor and parents can override your decisions. In my opinion this is not a situation in which to get married. Eaven if parents agree, marriage is such a big decision that a person should be old enough to decide for themselves before making such a decision. If you are not old enough to vote, drink or decide on your own where to live, you are not old enough to get married.

In Sweden (My country of birth) marriage bellow 18 has recently been prohibited, as there was a relevant problem of parents forcing, or pushing their kids into arranged marriages.

Personally I dont think I would marry before the age of 25. Thats more a matter of personal feelings though. I dont blame people if they feel ready to make such a commitment at the age of 18, as long as they have though it over relly carefully, and not just jumped into it after 3 months of dating.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.