Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Scarp marriage and introduce civil partnerships instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dajo123)
    NO :mad: ...i want to wear a wedding dress!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThornsnRoses)
    NO :mad: ...i want to wear a wedding dress!
    Well... The dress can look the same but you will have to call it a "Civil Partnership Dress" not wedding dress.

ReputationRep:
    Well... The dress can look the same but you will have to call it a "Civil Partnership Dress" not wedding dress.
    :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThornsnRoses)
    :mad:

ReputationRep:
    I would welcome this idea, not sure on scrapping marriage though. It is out of date and even non-religious people web, bit illogical really. Over time there may be more support for scrapping marriage however.

Are there countries which have a civil partnership?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Are there countries which have a civil partnership?
    Canada, the Netherlands and Belgium i think.

ReputationRep:
    In my view marriage is a cultural/religious thing and theres no reason not to let people live out their culture. Scrap the economical benefits, immigration rights, and other economical or political advantages however. Why should you receive benefits because you are married? In my view it is simply discrimination towards those unable / unwilling to mary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonatan)
    Scrap the economical benefits, immigration rights, and other economical or political advantages however. Why should you receive benefits because you are married? In my view it is simply discrimination towards those unable / unwilling to mary.
    I partly agree with this idea, however, it does make sense for widows to be exempt from things like inheritance tax.

ReputationRep:
    Canada, the Netherlands and Belgium i think.
    I was wondering about the first two because of their recent developments in marriage such as single-sexed partnerships. I did not know if they were actually married or in a civil partnership. Over here with the mooted Civil Partnership Bill it seems that civil partnership = marriage but just not using the word. This is a decent tactic

Not that sure if Belgium would......will ask by Belgian friend soon

ReputationRep:
    In my view marriage is a cultural/religious thing and theres no reason not to let people live out their culture. Scrap the economical benefits, immigration rights, and other economical or political advantages however. Why should you receive benefits because you are married? In my view it is simply discrimination towards those unable / unwilling to mary.
    I agree totally. It's just a way for traditionalists and religious people to try and keep their own beliefs as alive as they possibly can perhaps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruthiepoothie)
    What in your opinion is the minimum age when people should get married- and that you would think it would be too young if they got married before that age?
    (Don't worry about the legal age, we all know that is 16 with parental consent and 18 without....i mean morally in your opinion)
    I don't think that you can put an age on when it is right for people to get married because each situation is different. While there are people who get married to younge and get divorced there are also people like my great aunt. She married her husband when she was 18 and stayed very much in love with him until the day that he died. Sometimes younge marriage can work sometimes it doesn't I really don't think that you can put an age on it.

ReputationRep:
    agree with this, however today it seems like a lot people mary each other outside the church. marriage is a religious thing but many don't involve that at all and therefore civil partnership might be an option.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _EMMA_)
    agree with this, however today it seems like a lot people mary each other outside the church. marriage is a religious thing but many don't involve that at all and therefore civil partnership might be an option.
    Civil partnerships would be redundant had there not been for silly laws granting benefits to people being married.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.