The Student Room Group

Age 24 and all of my friends are settling down

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by stefano865
I thought this **** happened when people hit 30. :redface:

Worried.

Hit me at 18, people are settling down faster these days believe me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by YouHaveProblems
1. That's not bullying
2. She is a woman
3. Studentroom is mainly targeted at teenagers, and even if she is still studying she is deciding to spend her time on a sight filled with inexperience immature kids talking about sex or other stupid things.
4. What you said to me is easily considered bullying, and much more worse than what i said.
5. Who said i was a man
6. stfu

I thought "The Student Room" was mainly aimed towards anyone who is a student not teenagers?

Tbh what you said was a little unnecessary.
I'm 26. Most (not all) of my pals are in long term relationships and quite successful in life by my standards. It's dead easy to perceive their grass as very green from our own points of view, and I admit it has driven me to mild panic in the recent past.

For me it has been important to realise that although my life is far from perfect I take comfort in being able to do things and have plans that others either can't or don't want to do. For example, I envisage living abroad before settling down.
I'm 27 and not in a long term relationship yet or even buying a house. I'm just starting my career to be honest.

Relax, you're only 24.

I understand, I have cousins who are younger who have started careers and thinking of settling down and buying houses. However, that is them and their life.

However, you are only 24, which is a very young age. Focus on yourself and what makes you happy, do things that make you happy.

Things will fall into place when it should happen.

If you really want to be in a relationship, try online dating, speed dating, joining clubs out of interest, asking your family or friends to hook you up with someone or even being more approachable.

Boost your confidence, wear good clothes, focus on your own life and make it a happy place to be.
Original post by James.Carnell
That means **** all seriously. You need to get a ****ing grip.

Jobs these days pay sweet **** all. I am now saving more by personal ventures than I did when i was doing 9-6. They are more than likely poor as **** with a family life that most people get bored of. Ok, maybe I am different in that all I care about is money. But, I really see no redeeming benefit from all of that kids and mortgage **** you go on about. Really the only frustrating aspect of my life is that I have not made it in a career yet... but really how many people are being paid big bucks? You think their 40k a year jobs are enough? Your standards are low man and you are a lot better than you think. Get a grip. You can be hugely successful, you need to focus on the fundamentals first. That is, personal success. The rest of what you may want will follow.

40k is not enough in this day and age. I expect to be earning that by the time I'm 30

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm also in the same boat as you OP. I'm male and will be 26 when i graduate from my undergrad next year which is ****ing depressing (i failed due to a host of depression and anxiety issues that i won't bore you with)! Still I am saving up to buy my own place. My friend is also 25 and he's done that so he has his own place.

Seeing people i went to school with settle down, get engaged/married and buying houses together has been driving me into a wild panic and i've been losing sleep over it the past few months if i'm honest. Look on the plus side though, the fact that we're both anxious serves to remind us of our mortality and that fact that if we want to achieve something then now is the time to start working on it.

It's okay to envy other people but don't let it consume you.IMO i genuinely believe that women have it easier when it comes to relationships, i really do so you have an advantage there. I would not rushing into marriage this young because people change so much during their 20s, it's unreal!
I'm 24 and most of my friends are in long term relationships and one has a child.

Tbh I'm happy for them but I got dumped by my gf of three years last week so right now it depresses me a bit that I'm now alone
Original post by stefano865
I thought this **** happened when people hit 30. :redface:

Worried.

Tell me about it.

Original post by emilyyou
I've just turned 24, live with my Dad and I'm currently single (and have been for a while now). Meanwhile, all of my closest friends are in long term relationships, buying houses, planning on getting engaged etc.

I just feel like I'm really immature and 'behind' in life. Nobody wants to go out for a few drinks anymore and on the rare occasion that we do, the conversations are focused on houses, joint bank accounts, marriage and future kids. It's really getting me down at the moment.

Somebody please tell me they're in the same boat :frown:

Most of the people I know are in relationships, so I guess I kinda am. No one talks about kids etc though.

Try meeting new people and putting yourself out there, expand your social circle. No need to cut off current friends of course, but it would help if you found people who are less tied down to hang out with.
if you settle down at the age of 24 there is something wrong with you

you're meant to enjoy your young years, settling down is for 40 yr olds
Original post by 0to100
if you settle down at the age of 24 there is something wrong with you

you're meant to enjoy your young years, settling down is for 40 yr olds

At 40 most women will struggle to have children...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emilyyou
I've just turned 24, live with my Dad and I'm currently single (and have been for a while now). Meanwhile, all of my closest friends are in long term relationships, buying houses, planning on getting engaged etc.

I just feel like I'm really immature and 'behind' in life. Nobody wants to go out for a few drinks anymore and on the rare occasion that we do, the conversations are focused on houses, joint bank accounts, marriage and future kids. It's really getting me down at the moment.

Somebody please tell me they're in the same boat :frown:

Stop feeling sad and do something about it.

Find friends with shared interests beyond join bank account, marriage and kids. There are plenty out there!

Look do you want to settle down? Have kids? I don;t get it. Or are you upset no one will go for drinks with you?

Please clarify.
Original post by Obiejess

Posted from TSR Mobile

what? most people are settled down by the time theyre 40.

as opposed to in their early 20s, most people are still at school/uni/live at home

op has nothing to worry about and needs to ignore any friends of theirs who rush their lives
Original post by Obiejess

Posted from TSR Mobile

You dont have to be settled down to have children though its good to be. I guess if women dont want children like men they are ok to settle down when they want to but yea the women who want kids are more on a time limit.

Quick Reply