Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

Part-time job while in Full-time education. Would this effect my benefits? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

This is my first time posting on here so, please bare with me.

I have been wanting a job for a while now and, I am in full-time education in college doing around 12 to 14 hours a week (Monday to Thursday). I've seen a Sainsbury's store not too far from my home offering a part-time job, 24 hours a week at a £6.23 per hour rate (around 4/5 days a week).

I want to work there since the money could help me buy school resources and possibly motorcycle which I could use to commute to school and possible work with.

On the other hand, my mother is telling me not to since it will effect the Child Tax benefits and I will have to start paying the rent for the house because the house benefits or whatnot (I am not too sure of the name). In my defense I don't see the problem since I am still in full-time education so, I am doing what they benefits are asking me to do, I am just working on the side.

I am not too sure on what the rules are for working part-time and being in full-time education, and I could not find nothing on Google that covers it.

If I was to get the job, will the Child Tax Credits stop and, will I have to start paying for some of the rent to stay at my home? It would also be great if somebody can post some sources where I can read more about this, as I do want this job but I don't want to mess stuff up for my mother at the same time.

Thanks a lot!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I didn't work through my A Levels, but my sister did work through hers, and the Child Tax Credits didn't stop.

However, 24 hours per week for a part time job while in full time education seems a lot to do.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in full time ed (9 til 4 Monday to Friday) and work 14-20 hours yet the child tax continues.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Would you shell out for travel insurance?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.