The Student Room Group

Internation student English stuff

Context: I am a Dutch student currently doing my A levels somewhere in the UK. They are History, G&P, English Lang and Li, and Ge ography.

My question is, some of the uni's I am looking at for the course history require specific GCSE grades, usually English at grade B. I don't think this is a problem, but since I am only in year 12 at the moment I don't think asking hurts. Assuming I get at least a B in A level English, would I still be required having the GCSE? For the record, I don't have any GCSE's.
Original post by Metalfros
Context: I am a Dutch student currently doing my A levels somewhere in the UK. They are History, G&P, English Lang and Li, and Ge ography.

My question is, some of the uni's I am looking at for the course history require specific GCSE grades, usually English at grade B. I don't think this is a problem, but since I am only in year 12 at the moment I don't think asking hurts. Assuming I get at least a B in A level English, would I still be required having the GCSE? For the record, I don't have any GCSE's.

Do you have a dutch equivalent to an english gcse? If not, i think universities might expect you to get the gcse.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
Do you have a dutch equivalent to an english gcse? If not, i think universities might expect you to get the gcse.

What if I told you I got an A* in my Dutch exam without learning? Obviously this was far easier than the stuff I am currently doing and I am sure GCSE as well. My Sixth Form more or less accepted my qualification although not being exactly equivalent, so I hope uni's will do the same or otherwise I hope they will just look past that. I mean, if I get for example 3 A's in my A2, why do they matter than? Anyway, I can always go back to a Dutch uni if this doesn't work out.
Original post by Metalfros
What if I told you I got an A* in my Dutch exam without learning? Obviously this was far easier than the stuff I am currently doing and I am sure GCSE as well. My Sixth Form more or less accepted my qualification although not being exactly equivalent, so I hope uni's will do the same or otherwise I hope they will just look past that. I mean, if I get for example 3 A's in my A2, why do they matter than? Anyway, I can always go back to a Dutch uni if this doesn't work out.

English universities are very strict on english requirements, what is the dutch qualification you have exactly? You are best off emailing the universities you are interested in to ask. Many wouldnt accept an english a level in lieu of the gcse for student who have lived in england for years so i wouldnt count on that.
Reply 4
I have a Polish friend who had to sit the IELTS to prove her English language proficiency. She also moved to the UK in year 12.
Reply 5
Original post by claireestelle
English universities are very strict on english requirements, what is the dutch qualification you have exactly? You are best off emailing the universities you are interested in to ask. Many wouldnt accept an english a level in lieu of the gcse for student who have lived in england for years so i wouldnt count on that.

I will. Regardless of the answer by the uni's, thanks for the help!

Original post by MA1998
I have a Polish friend who had to sit the IELTS to prove her English language proficiency. She also moved to the UK in year 12.

I will definitely inquire about the IELTS test. Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending