Turn on thread page Beta

Buying a games console... watch

ReputationRep:
    Ayup ppl! I reckon somebody on here'l be able to help me sort this out..

I'm thinking of buying a console, but I'm really not sure which one out of a PS2, Xbox or GameCube.

Out of all 3, the GameCube appeals to me most because quite a few of my mates have one, one of the only cons of them is their poor graphics (but that really doesn't bother me), it's cheap!

I could get a PS2 or Xbox but I really don't wanna spend that amount of cash. I'm a bit bothered by the number of games available for the GC tho, how bad is the range?? I think I'd miss things like Driver and Grand Theft Auto coz I love those games - are they made for the GameCube too??

AAAAAAArgh! So spoilt for choice! Somebody help with some good advice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zombie)
    Ayup ppl! I reckon somebody on here'l be able to help me sort this out..

I'm thinking of buying a console, but I'm really not sure which one out of a PS2, Xbox or GameCube.

Out of all 3, the GameCube appeals to me most because quite a few of my mates have one, one of the only cons of them is their poor graphics (but that really doesn't bother me), it's cheap!

I could get a PS2 or Xbox but I really don't wanna spend that amount of cash. I'm a bit bothered by the number of games available for the GC tho, how bad is the range?? I think I'd miss things like Driver and Grand Theft Auto coz I love those games - are they made for the GameCube too??

AAAAAAArgh! So spoilt for choice! Somebody help with some good advice!
    the safe bet is to get a ps2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mockel)
    the safe bet is to get a ps2
    Is that coz of the range of games?? Or what? I don't need to be able to play DVDs on it coz I can do that on my PC or downstairs. The price puts me off.

ReputationRep:
    Go for the PS2! Wide range of games, alot of good games on platinum now also, so you will save money.

DON'T get an XBOX!

ReputationRep:
    PS2 has been going downhill recently.

XBox + Livekit = your best friend.

Gamecube if you generally like the sort of games on Nintendo

ReputationRep:
    Make a list of games you want to play. See which console has the most from that list.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by [-David-])
    PS2 has been going downhill recently.

XBox + Livekit = your best friend.

Gamecube if you generally like the sort of games on Nintendo
    XBOX + LiveKit is sweet, but XBOX on it's own....

ReputationRep:
    X-box, u can go online with it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BurnOut)
    XBOX + LiveKit is sweet, but XBOX on it's own....
    indeed, i wouldn't play on my xbox that much if it wasn't for my live kit. Its all good though

ReputationRep:
    PS2 is your best bet (widest range of games). Btw, does any1 know when the PS3's coming out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by firebladez777.5)
    PS2 is your best bet (widest range of games). Btw, does any1 know when the PS3's coming out?
    late 2005 / early 2006

ReputationRep:
    late 2005 / early 2006
    Or summer 2005 if you're optimistic.

ReputationRep:
    late 2005 / early 2006
    Right. Thanks. Any idea as to what extra stuff it's going to have? (I expect DVD/internet access, but other mod-con's?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pzyko)
    Or summer 2005 if you're optimistic.
    I would be very surprised if it came out then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by firebladez777.5)
    Right. Thanks. Any idea as to what extra stuff it's going to have? (I expect DVD/internet access, but other mod-con's?)
    http://www.ps3insider.com should answer all your questions.

ReputationRep:
    If you're worried about being laughed at by mates, then get the PS2.

If you actually CARE about GAMES, then at least play a couple of games on the Gamecube first. Don't listen to what others say about the limited range for the Gamecube. At least they have more quality titles than other platforms, games that they will never get to experience.

ReputationRep:
    Check this out:

1) I got a second hand xbox for £100 ) the newer model that can play CDR
    2) Got a mate of mine to install the xecutioner 2 mod chip
    3) Now i can play copied games (£5 each), i can play divX and Xvid movies using xbox media player, i can copy games to the hard driver/mp3s/video files
    4) i networked the xbox to my pc so i can now stream music and video now AND my mate also installed n64/snes/nes/neogeo/sega/gameboy/gba emulators and roms... so now i can enjoy mario kart64 and zelda on my modded xbox and the total cost so far has been around £200... £300 is you include my 20 games...

So you decide... xbox ps2(don't know much about it) or gamecube...

ReputationRep:
    Buy a SNES instead.

ReputationRep:
    Get an Xbox, you can get GTA on it, Pro Evo 4 is coming out soon, hell most of the good PS2 games are on Xbox! It also has good exclusives such as Jet Set Radio Future, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Halo and so forth with games like DOOM3 and Half-Life 2 coming out for those of us without supercomputers.

Avoid the Gamecube at all costs though.

ReputationRep:
    Get the Xbox
    Halo 2 (Nov 9th) is a scaled down version of god.
    With best graphics, controllers, and quality games, it IS worth every penny.

Gamecube is more of a go-to-other-peoples-places-with-it console

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.