Why do people complain about student debt? Watch

Ilora-Danon
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm not worried about my student debts. I'll owe approx 8k when I've finished my degree, and compared to a lot of students, it's a pittance, so I'm not worrying at all.
I'm not going to have any credit cards or overdraft as it's not my style, so again, nothing to worry about.
uni_Boy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I agree. I don't see how I could pay for uni if it wasnt for the loans and grants, unless I worked full time. And so surely its better to work hard after uni to pay off the debts rather than spend all your time at uni trying to survive.
JaxT
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
This whole student loans thing seems unfair to me. Why is it based on parents' income? It's a loan.
I personally won't have a huge loan to pay back as I'll probably get pretty much the max, most of which I won't have to pay back, but my cousin will have to borrow pretty much the full amount as his parents both have reasonable jobs, although not good enough to just pay his way through uni for him. This seems very unfair to me......once I finish my degree I'll be going for similar jobs with similar pay to other people who were on my course. Why then should someone else be saddled with twice as much debt as me, just because their parents had better jobs?? Just seems wrong!

Does any of this make sense, or have I just lost the plot?? :confused:
snu
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by JaxT)
This whole student loans thing seems unfair to me. Why is it based on parents' income? It's a loan.
It is assumed that if your parents earn more, they should be able to afford to contribute more to your education by giving you some money to support you while you're at university.

If your parents earn less, you can have a bigger loan because it's assumed your parents can't afford to support you as much. If your parents earn still less, then you get a grant.

The whole "grant in place of loan" thing doesn't make an awful lot of sense to me, though.
Wilko_777
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
The annoying thing is that what you are entitled to in the form of loans does not take into account factors which affect the income of your parents, in particular Mortgage repayments and other dependents.
JaxT
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Wilko_777)
The annoying thing is that what you are entitled to in the form of loans does not take into account factors which affect the income of your parents, in particular Mortgage repayments and other dependents.
Exactly! My aunt and uncle have reasonably good jobs but their mortgage is horrendous because they have had to have an extension built for my other cousin who is disabled. This isn't taken into account in the means testing and so my cousin going to uni will have to take on huge debts because his parents won't be able to help him much financially. Someone I was at school with is getting a full grant, yet his parents both drive BMWs and they go on exotic holidays twice a year. Seems like a really cr*p system to me!!
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

I LOVE a Black Friday deal (201)
43.6%
Nah, Black Friday is pointless (143)
31.02%
I don't have an opinion (117)
25.38%

Watched Threads