Turn on thread page Beta

Is the UK the world's most ethnically diverse and multicultural country in the world? watch

ReputationRep:
    Argh, why did you feel the need to add a GAZILLION photos to that post? Thank God for LPK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geetar)
    That was a very long post...

Isn't something like 96% of the UK still populated by White Anglo-Saxon Protestants? I'd say we must be one of the least diverse developed world countries.
    I think the total is 8% (or maybe 18%) of the country are non-white. As I said earlier, some parts of the country are highly diverse (e.g. London) and others are really not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naivesincerity)
    So you might admit that different ethnicities have some kind of differences which are not only physical but psychological also?
    Otherwise why is ethnicity significant?
    As has been said, different ethnicities originate from different cultures. The way a culture has shaped a person is significant because, to a large extent, it makes them who they are.

I "admit" (as if I have ever denied this) that different ethnicities may have psychological differences between them, but unless you can somehow prove this it seems irrelevant to the discussion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geetar)
    That was a very long post...

Isn't something like 96% of the UK still populated by White Anglo-Saxon Protestants? I'd say we must be one of the least diverse developed world countries.
    Not true.

According to the 2001 census:

White British: 85.7%
    Mixed Race: 1.2%
    Indian: 1.8%
    Black: 2%

This is a highly simplified version... detailed one here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cadre_Of_Storms)
    unfortunately we are not a multicultural society, that would imply we are many races, creeds etc all living together peacefully,
    i think we are a multi culture society. The different races dont live here interacting with each other, they live (not all but many) people live withing thier own ethnic communities deliberatley isolating themselves from each other. Probably because its easier and makes it simplier for them to discuss things having the same languae, backgrounds etc. But also because of thier own inherit prejedices and racist/religious views. For instance in brum with little somalia and little india (to use brum slang) two communities living right next to each other yet thier is an invisible line that divides the two.
    the polish guy i work with is very racist and according to him its a view held by the majority of his people especially where germans and russians are concerned (big suprise lol)

Maybe it varies from place to place and race to race, those who tend to come from 2nd and 3rd world countries tend to be those who live in isolated communities where more first world countries, american irsih australian, french german etc interact more easily with the native populace
    That's somewhat of a generalisation. My dad's family is Polish, my mum's is German. I live in a fairly Asian area and go to a school where we've got kids from just about every continent. A person's nationality or skin colour has never really been an issue for many of us as if you're 'exposed' (for lack of a better word) to various ethnicities from a young age you just think it's normal for everyone to interact with each other.

I suppose it just varies across the country.

ReputationRep:
    Ethnic groups:
    white (of which English 83.6%, Scottish 8.6%, Welsh 4.9%, Northern Irish 2.9%) 92.1%, black 2%, Indian 1.8%, Pakistani 1.3%, mixed 1.2%, other 1.6% (2001 census)

If you think that only 3.1% of the country is Indian or Pakistani they sure do get alot more tv/radio time lol.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if britain is the most ethnically diverse country, but it is one of the most ethnically tolerant countries in the world - if not THE most. In my opinion, much more ethnically tolerant than the US.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nish81)
    I'm not sure if britain is the most ethnically diverse country, but it is one of the most ethnically tolerant countries in the world - if not THE most. In my opinion, much more ethnically tolerant than the US.
    I think the real problem with this discussion is the sheer divergence between London and the rest of the country. Let's not forget that we had race riots in the North not that long ago.

The country looks diverse and tolerant because London is and most things are done in London. Outside London there are large areas which are almost devoid of any ethnic minorities. There also appears to be a large feeling of unease about all the ethnic minorities in this country (unfortunately - on the unease not on them being here).

As has been mentioned earlier, judging from the TV you'd never imagine that the black population of Britain is so small. This is part of the discrepency that is modern Britain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UniOfLife)
    I think the real problem with this discussion is the sheer divergence between London and the rest of the country. Let's not forget that we had race riots in the North not that long ago.

The country looks diverse and tolerant because London is and most things are done in London. Outside London there are large areas which are almost devoid of any ethnic minorities. There also appears to be a large feeling of unease about all the ethnic minorities in this country (unfortunately - on the unease not on them being here).

As has been mentioned earlier, judging from the TV you'd never imagine that the black population of Britain is so small. This is part of the discrepency that is modern Britain.
    A good point, but could you say the same for the US? Major cities are ethnically diverse, but are the small towns the same? Or not.

(just a question)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nish81)
    A good point, but could you say the same for the US? Major cities are ethnically diverse, but are the small towns the same? Or not.

(just a question)
    Undoubtedly there is a trend for immigrants to live in major urban areas. However, I don't know the details in the US. In the UK, though, the divergence is quite stark.

ReputationRep:
    Undoubtedly there is a trend for immigrants to live in major urban areas. However, I don't know the details in the US. In the UK, though, the divergence is quite stark.
    Most of the small towns within a few hundred miles of the Mexican border have a Hispanic majority (many of them by a huge margin). Historically, a large portion of immigration to the US has happened to small towns (especially in the case of Germans and Scandinavians). The trend then reversed to a vast majority of immigrants moving to urban areas, but in the last decade or so, immigrants have started moving to small towns again (thus you have all the protests against illegal immigrants in redneck towns that never a non-American until a decade ago).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    Most of the small towns within a few hundred miles of the Mexican border have a Hispanic majority (many of them by a huge margin). Historically, a large portion of immigration to the US has happened to small towns (especially in the case of Germans and Scandinavians). The trend then reversed to a vast majority of immigrants moving to urban areas, but in the last decade or so, immigrants have started moving to small towns again (thus you have all the protests against illegal immigrants in redneck towns that never a non-American until a decade ago).
    In absolute terms, aren't most immigrants living in urban areas? I recently heard that there are more Irish in New York than in Dublin (or something like that). Anecdotal evidence that the major urban areas contain vast numbers of immigrants.

ReputationRep:
    In absolute terms, aren't most immigrants living in urban areas? I recently heard that there are more Irish in New York than in Dublin (or something like that). Anecdotal evidence that the major urban areas contain vast numbers of immigrants.
    Depends how you define immigrants. If you consider the Irish, most of whom came to the US well over a century ago, as immigrants, you'd have to consider Germans, who make up 30-40% of the population of most states outside the original 13, the south, and the southwest, as immigrants as well. And while places like New York City, Miami, Chicago, and Los Angels still get huge amount of immigrants, the immigration has become spread out. There are now something like 30 states with substantial immigrant populations, many of them in states that don't have a large urban population.

ReputationRep:
    It must be the USA, they have the greencard lottery, which gives out a number of greencards every year to countries which have a low level of immigration to the USA. This means that the USA must have people from literally every country on earth living there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Agamemnon)
    It must be the USA, they have the greencard lottery, which gives out a number of greencards every year to countries which have a low level of immigration to the USA. This means that the USA must have people from literally every country on earth living there.
    Yes, but that's only 50,000 cards a year. Tiny amount.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Yes, but that's only 50,000 cards a year. Tiny amount.
    Yes, but still, if I understand what diversity means in this context, it does mean that the US is likely to be the most diverse country in the world, having people there from every country and every ethnic group in the world, even if only in small numbers.

ReputationRep:
    In London I heard 30% of all people are foreign born.

Now in Liverpool 98.5% of people are white british, with the 1.5% of ethnics mainly being students, assylum seekers and Chinese.

So the UK is not the most ethnically diverse country, obviously that is the US, a nation of over £150 million immigrants from all over the world.

Maybe London is the most diverse European city but the rest of the UK is still mainly white-british.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dirka Dirka)
    In London I heard 30% of all people are foreign born.

Now in Liverpool 98.5% of people are white british, with the 1.5% of ethnics mainly being students, assylum seekers and Chinese.

So the UK is not the most ethnically diverse country, obviously that is the US, a nation of over £150 million immigrants from all over the world.

Maybe London is the most diverse European city but the rest of the UK is still mainly white-british.
    The Midlands has quite an ethnically diverse population in all the major cities (Nottingham, Leicester, Birmingham and Derby).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naivesincerity)
    So you might admit that different ethnicities have some kind of differences which are not only physical but psychological also?
    Otherwise why is ethnicity significant?
    Its good to have people from different ethnic backgrounds in a country because it helps people have more knowledge about different cultures around the world and not be so narrow minded to think that our country is the only good one.

It has nothing to do with their skin colour, they're not psychologically different no1s saying anything like that but the reason alot of people are proud of living somewhere ethnically diverse is because it shows that the countries no longer marrow minded and are happy to welcome people from different countries and backgrounds.

The downside is that it can also lead to alot of racism such as "they're taking all our jobs or scavaging off the state" theres alot of contradictions because people complain when they do have jobs because it means they're taking jobs off us but when they don't have jobs they're scavaging off the state. I hate narrow mindedness like this and always try to persuade my friends who do think like this to change their minds but its very hard due to all the headlines in the newspapers which are promoting these ideas and make them seem correct.

ReputationRep:
    Well, in most of the small towns, is the tolerance for minorities fair?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.