Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The Uk (from my experiences of England) must be one of if not the most tolerant countries when it comes to racial diversity, it certainly isnt the US.

ReputationRep:
    canada i'd say.

ReputationRep:
    I've been to Florida a few times (leaving for it tomorrow actually) and it's mainly Caucasians, African Americans or Mexicans, puerto rican etc. Hardly any Arabs or Indians.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bluelight)
    The Uk (from my experiences of England) must be one of if not the most tolerant countries when it comes to racial diversity,it certainly isnt the US.
    i agree

(Original post by WoWZa)
    I've been to Florida a few times (leaving for it tomorrow actually) and it's mainly Caucasians, African Americans or Mexicans, puerto rican etc. Hardly any Arabs or Indians.
    Bon voyage Adam!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _EMMA_)
    i agree

Bon voyage Adam!
    Haha! Hey Emma, and thanks! Leaving at 6am

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    canada i'd say.
    Yeah, definitely. They're accepting of everyone. That said, their health-care etc. (I believe) isn't so favourable to immigrants - though I may have just misheard the tour guide..

EDIT: I seem to remember him saying that it's provincially run and that it's designed so that long-term residents of Canada gain more benefits. I'm not saying that's a bad thing though!

ReputationRep:
    1) Yes
    2) Unfortunately it's filled with some of the most Xenophobic people as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nish81)
    Well, in most of the small towns, is the tolerance for minorities fair?
    From my own limited experience I'd say it is well below the standards we have in London.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure whether the UK is the most ethnically diverse country in the world, it's probably not, but I'm pretty confident that London is the most ethnically, linguistically and religiously diverse city in the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoWZa)
    What?

I don't think they are that many Mexicans in Florida. They are mostly Puerto Rican or Cuban.

Arabs and Indians are pretty well spread but are more likely to be in the main cities and blue states.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gaijin)
    What?

I don't think they are that many Mexicans in Florida. They are mostly Puerto Rican or Cuban.

Arabs and Indians are pretty well spread but are more likely to be in the main cities and blue states.
    I didn't really notice the latter. I'm in Florida right now. I think I got Mexicans a bit mixed up with Peurto Rican I met some cool Mexicans last time I went though, haha.

ReputationRep:
    Take a look on the CIA fact book, we are FAR from the most ethnically diversed. (Apparently).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    Take a look on the CIA fact book, we are FAR from the most ethnically diversed. (Apparently).
    That probably is true, but we are one of the most tolerant countries in the world. A country like Russia is probably more ethnically diverse than the UK, but we are far more tolerant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1.9.8.4.)
    That probably is true, but we are one of the most tolerant countries in the world. A country like Russia is probably more ethnically diverse than the UK, but we are far more tolerant.
    We being the government, media and those in charge. There is, as ever, a spectrum and there are plenty of people on the less tolerant end of that spectrum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UniOfLife)
    We being the government, media and those in charge. There is, as ever, a spectrum and there are plenty of people on the less tolerant end of that spectrum.
    There is a portion of British society that is not very tolerant, but this does not change the fact that Britain is still one of the most tolerant countries on earth. Also, I resent this idea that the tolerant portion of British society is contained to the media and the government, as if there's some sort of conspiracy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HertfordshireBoy)
    The above question.
    No America is. They have a higher population of Jews, native Americans, Hawaiians and South Americans along with all the other ethnic groups in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoWZa)
    My Dad thinks immigration should be stricter. He reckons the UK takes in too much unskilled labour.
    Well that's a perfectly justifiable view. I wouldn't argue that he is intolerant. Merely a concerned citizen.

ReputationRep:
    i think so. Just go to bradford and find out!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1.9.8.4.)
    There is a portion of British society that is not very tolerant, but this does not change the fact that Britain is still one of the most tolerant countries on earth. Also, I resent this idea that the tolerant portion of British society is contained to the media and the government, as if there's some sort of conspiracy.
    My intention wasn't to sat that they are confined to that group but they are over-represented in that group. You'd be hard pressed to find an intolerant MP but there are plenty of intolerant constituents. I was merely separating between Britain as the state and Britain as the people. Britain as the state is extremely tolerant, Britain as a people are not as tolerant as the state.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UniOfLife)
    My intention wasn't to sat that they are confined to that group but they are over-represented in that group. You'd be hard pressed to find an intolerant MP but there are plenty of intolerant constituents. I was merely separating between Britain as the state and Britain as the people. Britain as the state is extremely tolerant, Britain as a people are not as tolerant as the state.
    Well, MP's represent their entire constituency, so their views would ideally reflect the general mood of the entire constituency, rather than a certain section of that constituency.

Even so, we live in a strong democracy with a free market economy. If intolerance was the order of the day, you can be assured that MPs would pick up on it very fast to secure their post, and the media would change their tune to one that is more in line with the general public. Politicians and the media are generally very tolerant because its in their interest to be tolerant, because Britain is fairly tolerant.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.